The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

1 hour ago, alexxxxx said:

But when was this time that it was just a trading bloc? Pre 1991?

The EU started off as a free trade agreement for coal and steel in the 1950s. One of the political reasons behind the agreement was to defuse the tensions caused by the change in the status of the Saar region, which produced a lot of coal and steel. It was administered by France after the war but voted to go back to Germany in 1955.

So you could argue that the EU was never ever "just" a trading bloc, and the situation then had parallels to the current situation in Northern Ireland.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

Do you want that with or without mould and maybe a side of rat droppings.

No thanks, that sounds vile, but having watched the Great British Menu, i now understand that so much of what formerly seemed to belong in a skip is now considered highly delicious, such as fish tongues, fish skin, pancreas, testacle, connective tissue, snails eggs, undercooked and raw meat, raw fish, raw egg, scorched and burnt things, intestines and caul fat.

rat hair with paprika should at least make a decent crisp flavour?

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Haha... what a tizz a tizz some Brexiteers get into over a children's programme

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7952841/Piers-Morgan-blasts-BBCs-Horrible-Histories-trashing-Britain-Brexit-themed-song.html

Particularly pleasing that Horrible Histories has reduced Andrew Roberts to frothing at the mouth.

Although it was a disingenuous, historically innaccurate programme aimed at kids that was just another anti-British/pro-EU display from the BBC.

Not showing the PMs address on the 31st and refusing to discuss the front page news on the Breakfast show the next morning - I don't think its Brexiteers getting 'in a tizz', I think its just them calling out the BBC for their continued and increasingly blatant bias. 

15 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Although it was a disingenuous, historically innaccurate programme aimed at kids that was just another anti-British/pro-EU display from the BBC.

Not showing the PMs address on the 31st and refusing to discuss the front page news on the Breakfast show the next morning - I don't think its Brexiteers getting 'in a tizz', I think its just them calling out the BBC for their continued and increasingly blatant bias. 

QED

Just dismiss it and move on as if it were a non-threatening notice pinned to a door.

6 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

QED

Just dismiss it and move on as if it were a non-threatening notice pinned to a door.

It is amazing that 1 note pinned to 1 door got more media coverage than the BBC deemed worthy of giving the PM on an historic night for the UK. 

Bizarre.

4 minutes ago, maxjam said:

It is amazing that 1 note pinned to 1 door got more media coverage than the BBC deemed worthy of giving the PM on an historic night for the UK. 

Bizarre.

It was pinned upon every floor in the block of flats. 

3 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Bizarre.

Oh do stop it. There was plenty of coverage all over the place.

For all its criticism of the left as perpetually offended, it's actually the right that goes all big baby at any perceived slight.

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Oh do stop it. There was plenty of coverage all over the place.

For all its criticism of the left as perpetually offended, it's actually the right that goes all big baby at any perceived slight.

I'm not offended, there are plenty of outlets to get your news from.  I just find it bizarre that the BBC didn't show the PMs address to the nation on such a historic night nor would they talk about the front pages as they would normally do the day after.  Add to that a historically innaccurate, pro-EU, anti-British programme aimed at kids the bias is obvious. 

If thats the route they want to go down, I'm fine with that but they shouldn't be public funded.

11 minutes ago, sage said:

It was pinned upon every floor in the block of flats. 

Regardless the point stands.  It was in all likelihood 1 or 2 idiiots pinning notes to doors in their block of flats.  Minor news.

However, on the night the UK finally left the EU the BBC deemed the PMs address to the nation to be not newsworthy. 

1 minute ago, maxjam said:

I'm not offended, there are plenty of outlets to get your news from.  I just find it bizarre that the BBC didn't show the PMs address to the nation on such a historic night nor would they talk about the front pages as they would normally do the day after.  Add to that a historically innaccurate, pro-EU, anti-British programme aimed at kids the bias is obvious. 

If thats the route they want to go down, I'm fine with that but they shouldn't be public funded.

Fair enough on Johnson's address (but remember, it's not to the nation, it's to just over half of it. It's going to take a lot more to heal the deep wounds than an address from someone even his own supporters barely trust) but Horrible Histories is a comedic programme designed to get kids interested in history. Even the dumbest of kids will be able to tell that the Normans didn't really do that dance and George IV wasn't really in a boy band.

Having watched a lot of Horrible Histories with my kids and got a History degree myself (albeit from an institution crawling with anti-British lefties), I can tell you that it is definitely not anti-British. You should give it a go. You might like it. My daughter and I were especially fond of the 'Stupid Deaths' section.

37 minutes ago, maxjam said:

"Add to that a historically innaccurate, pro-EU, anti-British programme aimed at kids the bias is obvious."

This is hilarious. Yet more evidence for your so-called culture war no doubt.

14 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Fair enough on Johnson's address (but remember, it's not to the nation, it's to just over half of it. It's going to take a lot more to heal the deep wounds than an address from someone even his own supporters barely trust

It doesn't matter that 48% wanted to remain, 100% of the country left.  If an independent channel wants to pretend Brexit didn't happen that would be up to them, as a public broadcast service the BBC doesn't have that option.  On the night we left the EU, they were imo under obligation to broadcast his address.  LIkewise, the next morning they were obligated to discuss the front pages, just as they do every other day not ignore them. 

18 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Having watched a lot of Horrible Histories with my kids and got a History degree myself (albeit from an institution crawling with anti-British lefties), I can tell you that it is definitely not anti-British. You should give it a go. You might like it. My daughter and I were especially fond of the 'Stupid Deaths' section.

A lot of people were unhappy with that particular episode of Horrible Histories;

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/feb/01/andrew-neil-attacks-bbc-over-anti-british-horrible-histories-song

And Carl Benjamin dissects it quite well in this video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghMGFqwr2pw

I'm not a history buff though so feel free to correct any of his errors.  Obviously those of you that can't stand Sargon or his presenting style I completely understand, I'm presenting his video to be fact checked. 

8 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

"Add to that a historically innaccurate, pro-EU, anti-British programme aimed at kids the bias is obvious."

This is hilarious. Yet more evidence for your so-called culture war no doubt.

See above post and watch the video if you can that highlights some problems with the programme.

3 minutes ago, maxjam said:

It doesn't matter that 48% wanted to remain, 100% of the country left.  If an independent channel wants to pretend Brexit didn't happen that would be up to them, as a public broadcast service the BBC doesn't have that option.  On the night we left the EU, they were imo under obligation to broadcast his address.  LIkewise, the next morning they were obligated to discuss the front pages, just as they do every other day not ignore them. 

A lot of people were unhappy with that particular episode of Horrible Histories;

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/feb/01/andrew-neil-attacks-bbc-over-anti-british-horrible-histories-song

And Carl Benjamin dissects it quite well in this video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghMGFqwr2pw

I'm not a history buff though so feel free to correct any of his errors.  Obviously those of you that can't stand Sargon or his presenting style I completely understand, I'm presenting his video to be fact checked. 

It upset Andrew Neil and Andrew Roberts. Two bastions of the establishment. The much derided 'elite'. Oh dear.

Archived