The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

19 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Let's hope so. The people in charge seem totally incompetent to me. Remember way back in time when Jeremy Hunt was a bit of a joke character. He looks like a titan compared to people in the current cabinet.

Brexit could be a success with good people involved, but that would be difficult and require compromise and negotiations. We have the dregs in charge.

Maybe but they're better dregs than the Labour alternative.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

If the best people can do to try and link Brexit to racism is find one poster on a door in  Norwich then to me it seems like they are barking up the wrong tree.

It’s a racist poster. Regardless of whether or not it’s an isolated incident or can be linked to Brexit, it’s not acceptable. 

10 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

For me the letter illustrate the kind of behaviour that has been emboldened by the current political climate. As someone who works with people whose first language is not English, I have anecdotal evidence that backs this up. I can tell you ‘one poster on a door in Norwich’ is not an isolated incident. 

That you don’t think residents of that block might be threatened doesn’t seem very empathetic. Would you or your family really dismiss it so casually or even assume it was a one-off if you were in the same situation? What do you think the intention of the writer(s) is?

I'm not stupid enough to think it is only isolated incident. 

The intention of the writer was probably just to prove how much of a knob he is. I mean I guess we are all assuming it was a white male arent we. (Just as an aside I can tell you some of the most racist people I have come across are Brits of Indian descent).

I'm sure if I had the time I could write up some verses from the Koran and use them as justification for non Muslims to feel intimidated every time they walk a mosque.

Or maybe some stories about Asian grooming gangs making it intimidating for white girls using takeaways and taxi firms.

Difference is, when these sort of stories are mentioned, we are told that they are isolated incidents and not to tar people with the same brush. 

Yet when the boot is on the other foot it seems it's open season to use these articles to justify calling Brexiteers thick racists.

Really not going to open up this debate again though as it's clear eyes and ears are tightly shut. I'm just sick to the back with hypocrisy that is displayed so frequently though. 

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

Are we still allowed to eat pizza?

just checking.

All depends where the tomato paste used on the pizza comes from.

The USA's food regulation standards allow for tomato paste to be sold containing fly eggs and or maggots.

I suppose this could be seen as a good thing by some, as it would increase the amount of protein in each portion of tomato.

23 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

All depends where the tomato paste used on the pizza comes from.

The USA's food regulation standards allow for tomato paste to be sold containing fly eggs and or maggots.

I suppose this could be seen as a good thing by some, as it would increase the amount of protein in each portion of tomato.

https://fullfact.org/health/maggot-orange-juice-USA/

22 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

If it had just stayed as a trading block, I would guess that any referendum would have had a resounding remain outcome. That does not mean that it would be perfect but the main issues would not be there. 

But when was this time that it was just a trading bloc? Pre 1991? The free movement of people stuff dates back decades when the UK originally joined. Most EU regs are just trading regs. The human rights court isn't even part of the EU. 

36 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

1. But when was this time that it was just a trading bloc? Pre 1991? 2. The free movement of people stuff dates back decades when the UK originally joined. 3. Most EU regs are just trading regs. 4. The human rights court isn't even part of the EU. 

1. We joined the EEC(European Economic Countrys)in 1973, We then had a Referendum in 1975 to stay in, It morphed into the EU.

2. No it didn't, Under the Treaty of Maastricht in 1992 was the start of free movement.

3. There's 100s of regulations if not 1000s, One of which is Trade.

4. Yes it is, ECHR...The European Court of Human Rights.

1 minute ago, I Bought the Tee Shirt said:

1. We joined the EEC(European Economic Countrys)in 1973, We then had a Referendum in 1975 to stay in, It morphed into the EU.

Yep. 

2. No it didn't, Under the Treaty of Maastricht in 1992 was the start of free movement.

The latest incarnation is but it has existed prior to that. Since the 70s.

One regulation that governs trade? 

...which is not part of the EU. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Court_of_Human_Rights

15 minutes ago, I Bought the Tee Shirt said:

It's nothing to do with the EU. It's a court established under the European Convention on Human Rights under the Council of European. 

Absolutely and completely separate from the EU. 

Not everything with 'European' in the name is connected to the EU.

13 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Yep. 

The latest incarnation is but it has existed prior to that. Since the 70s.

One regulation that governs trade? 

...which is not part of the EU. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Court_of_Human_Rights

1. We agree.

2. Yes free movement of people, But not for the UK when we joined in 1973.

3. Yes one regulation for trade where in that there will be 100s of rules.

4. You're right the ECHR is seperate from the EU.

Archived