The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

21 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Cummings had his wife there too. He also had enough money to hire some sort of support/nurse I imagine. Get real.

Thats what I said in one earlier posts or a nanny to look after his son.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This "checking my eyesight" thing is just the new distraction technique from the Steve Bannon playbook

If you're under scrutiny for something serious, say something utterly ludicrous so that people will focus away from the serious point and start going on about the ludicrous thing instead

qv. pizza express woking, making model buses etc

5 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

What do you think, right or wrong what he did ?

I don’t have all the facts. We probably never will.

But from the information we have so far I don’t think what he did was wrong. 

I think some of the decisions he made are questionable, and I understand many people may feel what he has done is socially wrong. I also understand the resentment people have to those with second homes when some people don’t even have access to a garden. That doesn’t give us a right to vilify them solely for that reason though. I’m not saying you are doing this by the way. 

I do believe people should be held to account for their actions, and if more evidence comes to light that proves he is completely talking out of his backside and he has broken the law then my opinion will change, and then yes he should lose his position in advising the government.

I don’t support the witch hunt that is currently taking place and I resent the fact that in today’s society we seem to find it so difficult to talk about politics without going to extremes or getting so terribly offended by difference of opinion. Many of us also seem forget that all media apart from the BBC will show political bias and that we shouldn’t rely on them to always tell us the truth, that’s not within their interests. 

Why do people immediately call for a resignation when they don’t have the full facts?

We are currently living and dealing with a terrible situation (covid) and my deepest sympathies go out to those who are being negatively affected whomever they choose to politically support. 

Although I feel it should be irrelevant, I didn’t vote for the conservatives at the most recent election but I also didn’t vote labour. 

39 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

For those who think he gives a t0ss what people think and follow rules/comply with the law  may i remind you that proroguing parliament was his idea and eventually judged to be  illegal in the highest court in the land

Illegal and unlawful are two different things. Prorogation was unlawful and deemed  null. 

It was never judged to be illegal. 

49 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I live a mile from me mum and wouldn't of dreamt of going round if I had symptoms let alone dump my infected family on her. 

I really struggle to understand your support for him. I'm not playing political games here. This bloke is the architect of government policy, at the time of him driving 250 miles to stay with his parents he was instructing us all to stay at home and protect the NHS.

I find it quite sad that you don't understand the difference unless of course you are just blindly backing him for political reasons.

Sat in on SAGE meetings too. So should be well versed in the risks and reasoning behind the lockdown

59 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Cummings had his wife there too. He also had enough money to hire some sort of support/nurse I imagine. Get real.

He’s not a minister but I’m betting he could have had transport arranged to drive him up there and back if it was so important instead of driving up whilst sick!

Or one of the Durham family could have driven down to pick up the kid.

Are we honestly saying that driving 250 odd miles for a number of hours is LESS dangerous than looking after the kid at home. And that’s before we get into the idiotic eyesight lie? 

I’m also interested in the Dr who features prominently in his wife’s article (named only as Cedd???? If I remember rightly) makes it sound like he was present for much of the ordeal, yet not mentioned today.

None of this matches up and just sounds like it’s a cover story thrown together by a bunch of kids.

More worrying is the fact that they feel they can get away with such blatantly laughable lies like the eyesight test. It all just erodes the democratic process they claim to be upholding!

58 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I live a mile from me mum and wouldn't of dreamt of going round if I had symptoms let alone dump my infected family on her. 

I really struggle to understand your support for him. I'm not playing political games here. This bloke is the architect of government policy, at the time of him driving 250 miles to stay with his parents he was instructing us all to stay at home and protect the NHS.

I find it quite sad that you don't understand the difference unless of course you are just blindly backing him for political reasons.

I am not trying to make any political point, nor was I trying to compare or contrast the individual circumstances that you, and he, have encountered other than to boil it down to the essence that you both decided to disregard guidelines to ensure appropriate care was available for family. As I said I do not blame anyone for that, most of us would. It was you who informed us of your own personal circumstances, and then suggested it was typical of selfish elites to not follow guidelines. The point I was trying to make, perhaps clumsily, is that non-elites are making similar decisions each day.

I am currently in a situation not too far removed from you/Cummings. 3 weeks ago my 86 yo mum was diagnosed with breast cancer. She lives 150 miles away from me, and I haven’t seen her since mid-March. As matters currently stand I think I could now go and see her, albeit I would have to stay outside her house, or meet her 2 meters apart in an outside space. Matters are further complicated by my sister being a Paramedic, who has to visit my mum regularly to help her with things that certainly mean they must come into close contact. I am currently having some treatment, and am guided not to come into contact with others (apart from the wife). It’s a conundrum, which to date has meant that I have sat tight, simply ringing her each day to keep her spirits up. I couldn’t meet her and not hold her could I?  

I have no regard for Cummings, I don’t know him or support him. I posted earlier today that his explanation seemed plausible to me, and that after 2 days of thinking he must go, today I am not so sure.  For what it is worth, I did in the same post say that I was very dissatisfied with the Government’s response to this shitstorm, which has shown them again in very bad light further to other failings during their management of this crisis.

I repeat again I am sorry to hear about your personal circs, and hope there are brighter days ahead for all of you.

2 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Did anyone read his wife’s article on their covid experience in the Spectator?

She said he spent 10 days in bed in London as sick as a dog!

She never mentioned the trip to Durham.......or the trip to the castle............or the eyesight driving test...........or the walk in the woods, etc, etc!

Its almost as if he took a different wife and child...........probably caught that from his mate Boris too!

That would have been a far more interesting press question than what we got from the pathetic attempts of Laura K, Robert P or Beth R.

24 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

He’s not a minister but I’m betting he could have had transport arranged to drive him up there and back if it was so important instead of driving up whilst sick!

Or one of the Durham family could have driven down to pick up the kid.

Are we honestly saying that driving 250 odd miles for a number of hours is LESS dangerous than looking after the kid at home. And that’s before we get into the idiotic eyesight lie? 

I’m also interested in the Dr who features prominently in his wife’s article (named only as Cedd???? If I remember rightly) makes it sound like he was present for much of the ordeal, yet not mentioned today.

None of this matches up and just sounds like it’s a cover story thrown together by a bunch of kids.

More worrying is the fact that they feel they can get away with such blatantly laughable lies like the eyesight test. It all just erodes the democratic process they claim to be upholding!

He wasn’t showing symptoms when he drove up, his wife however was.

What eyesight test?

i think it’s fair to question his actions and you don’t have to agree with them, but I don’t think it’s fair to start adding non truths to the story.

5 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

What eyesight test?

i think it’s fair to question his actions and you don’t have to agree with them, but I don’t think it’s fair to start adding non truths to the story.

Leave the none truths to the media. They do that well already.

12 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

What eyesight test?

Yes his wife was showing symptoms meaning the viral load for the child in a small space like a Car for 5 hours straight could have been very risky, much easier to manage at home. He’s sat in on Sage meetings so should have been much more aware than the average person.

He said he went driving to Barnard Castle to test his eyesight- hence the eye test!

Please don’t accuse me of adding non truths in future. It demeans your point of view!

3 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Yes his wife was showing symptoms meaning the viral load for the child in a small space like a Car for 5 hours straight could have been very risky, much easier to manage at home. He’s sat in on Sage meetings so should have been much more aware than the average person.

He said he went driving to Barnard Castle to test his eyesight- hence the eye test!

Please don’t accuse me of adding non truths in future. It demeans your point of view!

Your right his wife was showing symptoms, he however wasn’t, I got the impression from reading your post that said “He’s not a minister but I’m betting he could have had transport arranged to drive him up there and back if it was so important instead of driving up whilst sick!” Was you implying that he was sick whilst undertaking the original journey. It came across that way.

With the eyesight test statement now that you have explained further what you mean I understand what you were trying to say / imply. However on first reading I felt it misleading to use the term eyesight test, I’m not sure you can class the so called test drive as an eyesight test. 

I’m not questioning your opinion merely your use of words.

How does it demean my point of view? 

12 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

However on first reading I felt it misleading to use the term eyesight test, I’m not sure you can class the so called test drive as an eyesight test. 

If you really failed to discern his meaning 'on first reading', may I then recommend a second reading in future, before inferring other posters are lying? Even more so in light of the moralistic tone of the bulk of your own posts. Bit rich really, old chap!

8 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

If you really failed to discern his meaning 'on first reading', may I then recommend a second reading in future, before inferring other posters are lying? Even more so in light of the moralistic tone of the bulk of your own posts. Bit rich really, old chap!

But Dominic Cummings never had an eye test. He never claimed to have an eye test. So surely implying he had an eye test is untrue.

17 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

But Dominic Cummings never had an eye test. He never claimed to have an eye test. So surely implying he had an eye test is untrue.

This has already been explained to you by the poster in question. I'll leave it there.

1 hour ago, jimmyp said:

If he wasn't showing any symptoms when he drove to Durham. Why did he need to leave London in the first place? Surely this meant he was healthy enough to care for his son while also tending to his sick wife at home

7 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

If he wasn't showing any symptoms when he drove to Durham. Why did he need to leave London in the first place? Surely this meant he was healthy enough to care for his son while also tending to his sick wife at home

I’m pretty sure he said it was because he was extremely concerned that should he also suddenly become unwell he or his wife then wouldn’t be able to care for the child so they decided to be near family who could help.

5 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Death threats being sent to bishops who were critical!

There are very dark forces at play in this country at present!

If this is true, I want the Police to mine deep into this and find whoever is issuing such threats.

This kind of activity seems more and more prevalent, and after Jo Cox  - throw away the key time.

Archived