The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

The whole Cummings saga just shows up how terrible our media are, irrespective of the rights and wrongs of his actions (wrong in my view). Why did the Guardian/ Mirror wait 6 weeks to blow the story. Then like sharks in a feeding frenzy everyone else joined in. Were they not aware of it earlier (unlikely). Its old news, The new basically feelgood  facts are almost ignored. Its almost as if our media feel they have to concoct some drama to make themselves look good. 

The news conference was totally cringeworthy, BBC ITV Sky you should be ashamed of yourselves. I might start to get my news from Al Jazeera or China now if I want objective reporting.

It wasn't poor old Dom, the fault lay in the press telling us that poor old Dom was a hypocrite.

Anyway, you don't need to get your news from China. The side of a bus will do.

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

Anyway back to the media trying to get him to lose his job. 

Let’s see if they manage it today. 

So that's the big issue for you, is it? If I break the lockdown rules, get ill, possibly infect other people, perhaps even be responsible for the death of other people before I die myself, and my stupidity and arrogance finally makes the newspapers, I can rest easy in my grave that it wasn't my fault, but it was the fault of the press for telling you that I was a total tosspot without any responsibility and without any consideration for others. 

That's all right then.

12 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Junior minister trying to make a name for himself.  Oh right that’s it then. 

So you are happy for him to lose his livelihood because he is just a junior? 

I can honestly see you coming out with exactly the same posts defending Jeremy Corbyn or Diane Abbot or any Labour MP if they had done the same. Honestly. 

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

No sorry couldn't keep the straight face. 

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

I think if there is one think both sides of the political divide can agree on its that the standard of journalism forced upon us these days is truly shocking.  Hateful, gotcha questioning, lies and opinion passed off as fact, abusing their power to suppress independent journalism all whilst patting themselves on the back promoting their 'why you can trust us' trust policies.  Sickening.

Politicians used to face hard but fair questioning and we as the general public were better informed, its no surprise that they would rather hide in a fridge these days than face the garbage they are subjected too.  Whether you believed Dominic Cummings or not yesterday (and personally I don't really care either way - just another Tory being a Tory imo 'we're all in this together', year sure we are ?)  I think the only thing people will ultimately take from it was how thoroughly unlikeable the Westminster press pack are.

If I could really post my true thoughts about our press...I'd be serving the longest ban on this forums history...so I'll just say...Boooooooo!

85219446-close-up-of-hammer-hitting-nail

8 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Hope not.. But if it makes you feel better.

What do you mean' hope not'? His sister is a director at the company (Idox) chosen for the Govt's chosen track/trace app! Who lives in Durham... 

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

I think if there is one think both sides of the political divide can agree on its that the standard of journalism forced upon us these days is truly shocking.

Yep - we've agreed on that before.

Are you aware of Byline Times? To me they seem pretty good with their USP of fact-based jounalism which avoids the current journalistic fashion for outrage and division to drive clicks

https://bylinetimes.com/about/

But then I think they are left-leaning - hard to tell from my confirmation bias standpoint though. Genuinely interested to have your opinion on them

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Good grief, it's as clear as the eye chart in front of your face. He drove to Durham Castle to 'test his eyesight'. Ergo, he self-administered an eye test.

When he arrived at Barnard Castle, he realised best leave it another day!

53 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Try visiting a nice castle.

I take it that the castle was closed there would be no access for the public in the castle and probably no other people at the castle. Pretty isolated if you think about it. I’ve been on walks where people have put up signs telling me I can’t properly isolate on a certain walk. How do others know what someone can or can’t do?

2 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

I take it that the castle was closed there would be no access for the public in the castle and probably no other people at the castle. Pretty isolated if you think about it. I’ve been on walks where people have put up signs telling me I can’t properly isolate on a certain walk. How do others know what someone can or can’t do?

For someone who doesn’t leave his house, Eddie knows a bloody lot I can tell you.

6 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

You do know Barnard Castle is a town don't you.  

Archived