The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Good grief, it's as clear as the eye chart in front of your face. He drove to Durham Castle to 'test his eyesight'. Ergo, he self-administered an eye test.

He’d of known within 5 mins of driving if all felt well etc wouldn’t he?   

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I think if there is one think both sides of the political divide can agree on its that the standard of journalism forced upon us these days is truly shocking.  Hateful, gotcha questioning, lies and opinion passed off as fact, abusing their power to suppress independent journalism all whilst patting themselves on the back promoting their 'why you can trust us' trust policies.  Sickening.

Politicians used to face hard but fair questioning and we as the general public were better informed, its no surprise that they would rather hide in a fridge these days than face the garbage they are subjected too.  Whether you believed Dominic Cummings or not yesterday (and personally I don't really care either way - just another Tory being a Tory imo 'we're all in this together', year sure we are ?)  I think the only thing people will ultimately take from it was how thoroughly unlikeable the Westminster press pack are.

Add to your list pathetic, pre-arranged 'softball questions' and lists of 'favoured journalists' and I am 100% in agreement.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

There was an interesting tweet about how his sister(in-law?) who lives in Durham has just been made a director(?) of Serco - the company that's involved in the trace/track app. The signing date matched his visit(s)...

Oh, I'm sure that some will say that's just a coincidence.

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

There was an interesting tweet about how his sister(in-law?) who lives in Durham has just been made a director(?) of Idox - the company that's involved in the trace/track app. The signing date matched his visit(s)...

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

Been watching this whole Cummings thing over the last couple of days and I am not sure where I sit on this.

6. I liked that Cummings was tearing up the rule book with the Civil Service, yet in so many ways, ...

To be replaced by nepotism - jobs for the family, yes?

9 minutes ago, Boycie said:

He’d of known within 5 mins of driving if all felt well etc wouldn’t he?   

Top line of the chart, yes, but it would probably take half an hour to get down to those tiny letters at the bottom.

True story - when I was a cocky so-and-so (no, not now, when I was having a medical at work when I was a teenager) I had an eye test and was asked to read the bottom line of the chart. I said "Printed by Potts, Castle donington".

22 minutes ago, Archied said:

There are no rules anymore, after watching this unfold and listening to Cummings, Boris and his cabinet I’m more than comfortable that I can trust my own common sense , judgement and moral compass far more than those making and handing down the rules same as most people I know of the majority of most people I know

Cummings' idea of taking an eye test at 50 mph is just as wacky and abstruse as Trump's idea of injecting bleach, yet Boris Johnson still describes him as acting "responsibly, legally and with integrity". What mental acrobatics do supporters of these and other right-wing populists have to go through to come to such a conclusion? Why are they prepared to abandon any common sense, judgement or moral compass that they may have had in the first place? What am I missing?

The whole Cummings saga just shows up how terrible our media are, irrespective of the rights and wrongs of his actions (wrong in my view). Why did the Guardian/ Mirror wait 6 weeks to blow the story. Then like sharks in a feeding frenzy everyone else joined in. Were they not aware of it earlier (unlikely). Its old news, The new basically feelgood  facts are almost ignored. Its almost as if our media feel they have to concoct some drama to make themselves look good. 

The news conference was totally cringeworthy, BBC ITV Sky you should be ashamed of yourselves. I might start to get my news from Al Jazeera or China now if I want objective reporting.

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

What I can’t forgive is even if technically he may have had a point, morally he was wrong. There would have been better options I am sure. If you accept the role, you accept the responsibility as well. Sorry mate as much as I liked what you were trying to do, you gotta go IMO.

I can't help thinking that if he had been working for Maggie in her hey-day his feet wouldn't have touched the floor.

34 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Cummings' idea of taking an eye test at 50 mph is just as wacky and abstruse as Trump's idea of injecting bleach, yet Boris Johnson still describes him as acting "responsibly, legally and with integrity". What mental acrobatics do supporters of these and other right-wing populists have to go through to come to such a conclusion? Why are they prepared to abandon any common sense, judgement or moral compass that they may have had in the first place? What am I missing?

Durhamcastlespecsaversgate.

5 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Good morning.  How are we all today.  Still want a man to lose his livelihood 

Which livelihood, he has a few? Oh and that's an 'unelected' man who is doing his best to 'quote AngryRam: break-up the Civil Service' replacing it with 'jobs for the boys/family'!

So, yes.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Which livelihood, he has a few? Oh and that's an 'unelected' man who is doing his best to 'quote AngryRam: break-up the Civil Service' replacing it with 'jobs for the boys/family'!

So, yes.

So Angry is the authority on this is he 

11 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Good morning.  How are we all today.  Still want a man to lose his livelihood 

Yes. One Tory MP has already resigned over this shitshow. Why don't you?

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Been watching this whole Cummings thing over the last couple of days and I am not sure where I sit on this.

1. If this was Corbyn or Abbot, would I have had a different view. If I answer myself honestly the answer would probably be yes, so I am a hypocrite and needed to step back and look at the actual event.

2. Was he right, absolutely not and should face the consequences.. 

3. The spin is embarrassing, just fess up and take it.

4. Was it that bigger crime? Probably not and I might have done the same.

5. I grow to despise the press more and more each day. What they are doing is unacceptable and should be stopped.

6. I liked that Cummings was tearing up the rule book with the Civil Service, yet in so many ways, I just looked at him and thought WTF is that. Slovenly, does that really matter? Strangely, yes it does. Very unangry view that.

So I am still torn, is he that important to government? If yes, that’s a worry. Should we get rid of someone that important just for this? Probably but which is the bigger picture. What has politics become? A bloody mess for sure. Do I still support this government? Yes but that has taken a knock.

What I can’t forgive is even if technically he may have had a point, morally he was wrong. There would have been better options I am sure. If you accept the role, you accept the responsibility as well. Sorry mate as much as I liked what you were trying to do, you gotta go IMO.

Thanks for this i wanted to say exactly the same and you have summed it up perfectly from my standpoint.

i still don't think he was wrong in going to Durham in the circumstances and position he was in.(would have done the same myself)

However he shouldn't have tried to hide it.

Archived