The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, jono said:

It’s a testing time. Makes me wary too. I can see the logic, scientifically it makes sense but sheeesh we need to be on our guard.

i get your irony and it’s more than valid .. but if another wing was in charge and doing the same thing  what would you say ? .. that’s as much of a test of the integrity of your point, as the point itself.

right now I am on board but like most of the British public, we are obedient and respectful .. to a certain point, but not beyond. 

If anyone is worried, just don't download the app.

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Having said all of that, I'm sure there will be some suspicious folk on this forum that are convinced this is all a secret plot by the government to impose a police state and erode our liberties.

I agree. And that data won't be abused. You can trust the government in the same way as you can trust big business. God save the Queen ? 

1 minute ago, GboroRam said:

I agree. And that data won't be abused. You can trust the government in the same way as you can trust big business. God save the Queen ? 

I assume you're being sarcastic or something. If you're worried about your data being abused just don't download the app.

23 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

According to the BBC, The current proposed tracking app is dependent upon someone that has self diagnosed as having the virus first downloading the app and then declaring their status. So, on that basis, anyone concerned about the authorities tracking them need not worry. The whole thing will be voluntary.

Only other people that have also downloaded the app will be notified that they have been in close contact with either a self-diagnosed sufferer (amber alert) or a confirmed case (red alert). The person receiving the alert will not know who the infected/potentially infected person is.

So, assuming their explanation is correct and represents what will eventually be delivered no one needs worry about being tracked or having anything to hide.

Having said all of that, I'm sure there will be some suspicious folk on this forum that are convinced this is all a secret plot by the government to impose a police state and erode our liberties.

I’m always leaving my phone at home or in the car or in my coat pocket .. so .. meh

2 hours ago, Needlesh said:

You're overthinking that a bit.

My questions were, 'are the restrictions necessary?', and 'will the restrictions be fully lifted?'.

If they are, and they will be...then no drama, surely?! If they aren't and/or they won't in your view, then that represents a serious issue. Anyway. Enjoy what's left of your Easter weekend.

Perhaps i got a tiny bit defensive there, i am stressed like so many of us at this time.

Sincerely i hope that you are right and i wrong.

Happy Easter to you and yours

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

I fully support the government tracking all 70m citizens. I'm sure they won't abuse the data. Plus, if you have nothing to hide you've nothing to worry about. 

Torquemada may have said "give me six lines from an honest man and I'll hang him" but I'm sure we can trust the Tories. He was French, or Spanish or something anyway. Certainly from the EU so not to be trusted. I personally know Priti will not let anything bad happen to anyone. I'm 1 million percent behind her and our superhero PM. 

What they have imposed in China is absolutely terrifying. 

2 hours ago, GboroRam said:

But of course you could trust Jeremy because his motives are pure and would have been for the good of the people ? .. come on get a grip. 

the whole point of our robust democracy is that “they” do stuff and on places like this, in the press on social medja init, we get to shift things .. and .. you know what .. it mostly works. ... look at the slap down Northants and Cambridge police got. You forget that the right of centre doesn’t like state interference one little bit. They rub along for a while, but only so far. .... big brother watching you ? Don’t like it ? .. hummm I’d rather have big Amazon watching me and trying to fleece my credit card rather than the Stasi or the citizens safety bureau or whatever construct the left might dream up. 

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I also see the latest narrative being pushed is that only a vaccine and immunisation will cure this terrible virus. Will this be compulsory?

I hope so. I'm a scientist. Vaccination is genius, but it only works if we all do it.

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

If anyone is worried, just don't download the app.

Say the virus is an ongoing threat and the only way to keep people safe is to make people have the app in order to ,work,travel ,do non essential stuff

i have an antique cellphone, can't download apps, but that doesn't stop it from turning camera on standby all by itself a few times a week.  i would smash the damned thing, but you know, it's nice to be wanted.

11 hours ago, GboroRam said:

I fully support the government tracking all 70m citizens. I'm sure they won't abuse the data. Plus, if you have nothing to hide you've nothing to worry about. 

Torquemada may have said "give me six lines from an honest man and I'll hang him" but I'm sure we can trust the Tories. He was French, or Spanish or something anyway. Certainly from the EU so not to be trusted. I personally know Priti will not let anything bad happen to anyone. I'm 1 million percent behind her and our superhero PM. 

Surely that should be "one million and eleventy ten thousand and ninety nine hundred thousand and ten percent "

Or something.....?

8 hours ago, Archied said:

Say the virus is an ongoing threat and the only way to keep people safe is to make people have the app in order to ,work,travel ,do non essential stuff

You’re speculating on something that has currently been ruled out. However, if that really is the only way to protect me and the people I care about whilst at the same time giving the economy a chance to recover and thus going some way to lessen the effects (financial and lives) of a deep recession then, so be it. On balance, perhaps naively, I trust the government to restrict access to the data and only store it long enough until it is no longer required. My failing may be naivety whilst for others it’s paranoia.

Archived