The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

You are applying different standards, basically because you are judging an action taken purely with the benefit of hindsight.

I'm not applying different standards.

I think both HS2 and the Bridge idea are both stupid vanity projects and a complete waste of taxpayers money and hope that they will now not go ahead.

Brown selling off the gold I would not have had an opinion on at the time. However, with hindsight it was a poor decision and I can guarantee had it been the Conservatives that had done it you would have something to say about it.

So maybe it isnt just me applying different standards?

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JoetheRam said:

I don't hold Gordon Brown responsible for the global financial crisis of 2008, but his decision to sell off the gold reserves when he did was a massive mistake and pretty much indefensible from an economic standpoint.

Me neither, it was an event that shook the whole world and therefore I think it would be political point scoring to look at our Government in isolation. Which is exactly the same stance I am taking with coronavirus.

Others clearly arent though. They are happy for hindsight to be used now but not for anything involving Labour.

30 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

The average price of gold that Gordon Brown sold US $275 per ounce, the price today US $1,683 per ounce.

As a rough estimate if we were selling it today we would raise circa £17bn more.

That's an awful lot of PPE.

All Gorden's fault for us selling off our gold then. So we can blame the government for not being prepared for a crisis the rest of the world didn't see coming

3 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

All Gorden's fault for us selling off our gold then. So we can blame the government for not being prepared for a crisis the rest of the world didn't see coming

If you want to yes.

You dont need my permission to do anything.

If you're going to use hindsight to hold the Government to account though, I will also use the same and point out how much more funds could be available for PPE had Labour not sold off our gold for £16bn less than we would get today.

22 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I'd hope we wouldn't sell the gold though. It would be horrible if the price went up tenfold, and we'd wasted it on PPE. 

But we did, so we couldn’t 

The truth of the financial crisis was that most of us borrowed money we didn’t have. The banks were queuing up to lend it to us and we were stupid or greedy enough to believe the hype. Brown didn’t help because he was borrowing just like the rest of us but on a grander scale. 

it really doesn’t matter what your politics are .. the truth is down to a quantum shift in who produces the goods the world wants 

We were losing our place in the PL in the 1960’s .. and gradually slipped down the league. Splashed some cash, sacked managers, got a variety of new owners along the way but they were all either short termists bringing in expensive loaners or rubbish buying of overpaid over rated has beens ....relegation followed relegation. And here we are. The financial cris was when we finally arrived in the conference. Yeah Brown was in charge, yeah we were relegated. But it was going to happen sooner or later and a fair few team nearby came down with us. 

For a laugh, Write your chosen PM or leader of the opposition next to our managers from the last 10 years. 

37 minutes ago, jono said:

But we did, so we couldn’t 

The truth of the financial crisis was that most of us borrowed money we didn’t have. The banks were queuing up to lend it to us and we were stupid or greedy enough to believe the hype. Brown didn’t help because he was borrowing just like the rest of us but on a grander scale. 

it really doesn’t matter what your politics are .. the truth is down to a quantum shift in who produces the goods the world wants 

We were losing our place in the PL in the 1960’s .. and gradually slipped down the league. Splashed some cash, sacked managers, got a variety of new owners along the way but they were all either short termists bringing in expensive loaners or rubbish buying of overpaid over rated has beens ....relegation followed relegation. And here we are. The financial cris was when we finally arrived in the conference. Yeah Brown was in charge, yeah we were relegated. But it was going to happen sooner or later and a fair few team nearby came down with us. 

For a laugh, Write your chosen PM or leader of the opposition next to our managers from the last 10 years. 

Will have a think about the prime minister/managers. Think Corbyn would have to be Joe Kinnear or Gary Megson though.

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Will have a think about the prime minister/managers. Think Corbyn would have to be Joe Kinnear or Gary Megson though.

Corbyn Is Nigel Clough 

Massive fan base that's deluded itself into thinking that he's taking his team somewhere. 

Oh, no. This doesn't work. He tells Polish people to go home. 

Clough is Farage. 

18 minutes ago, Norman said:

Corbyn Is Nigel Clough 

Massive fan base that's deluded itself into thinking that he's taking his team somewhere. 

Oh, no. This doesn't work. He tells Polish people to go home. 

Clough is Farage. 

Clough was quite divisive so definitely not Corbyn, think he would be more a Phil Brown who everyone realised was useless.

3 hours ago, ramit said:

That's the thing, though, i don't expect you to take me seriously, but you do not speak for others.  i am not filling in any blanks with whatever takes my fancy, you are putting words in my mouth with that remark, i am keeping my options open.  i posted two quotes that i think are as relevant today as when they were written, perhaps even more so, i then answered your somewhat loaded questions with my opinion.  You seem to have a problem with that, but if so, that's exactly what it is, your problem.  You will notice that i don't ask you any questions, as i don't need to.

Believe what you like, i will do the same

You're overthinking that a bit.

My questions were, 'are the restrictions necessary?', and 'will the restrictions be fully lifted?'.

If they are, and they will be...then no drama, surely?! If they aren't and/or they won't in your view, then that represents a serious issue. Anyway. Enjoy what's left of your Easter weekend.

50 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

God, reading that Jono, I came to the conclusion Blair is the equivalent of Tommy Doc when he was in charge of us. 

Not Maggie ? 

Pearson is defo Jeremy for me .. lots of ideas. But ahem, there were issues 

21 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

You're overthinking that a bit.

My questions were, 'are the restrictions necessary?', and 'will the restrictions be fully lifted?'.

If they are, and they will be...then no drama, surely?! If they aren't and/or they won't in your view, then that represents a serious issue. Anyway. Enjoy what's left of your Easter weekend.

The restrictions of course will be lifted over time but what will be the legacy of this virus?

Will the measures introduced via the coronavirus bill become enshrined into every day life or will the be abandoned and written into history.

I see the Government are now launching an app that will be able to tell where you have been and who with. A good idea in theory at this moment in time but is it just the start of things to come?

I also see the latest narrative being pushed is that only a vaccine and immunisation will cure this terrible virus. Will this be compulsory?

22 minutes ago, jono said:

Not Maggie ? 

Pearson is defo Jeremy for me .. lots of ideas. But ahem, there were issues 

Being far from a Thatcher apologist Blair was worse for me although anyone who thinks different has my understanding.

43 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I also see the latest narrative being pushed is that only a vaccine and immunisation will cure this terrible virus. Will this be compulsory?

Wonder what conspiracy theory the antivaxxers will come up with, as to why they would refuse to be immunized. If or when a vaccine is found.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

The restrictions of course will be lifted over time but what will be the legacy of this virus?

Will the measures introduced via the coronavirus bill become enshrined into every day life or will the be abandoned and written into history.

I see the Government are now launching an app that will be able to tell where you have been and who with. A good idea in theory at this moment in time but is it just the start of things to come?

I fully support the government tracking all 70m citizens. I'm sure they won't abuse the data. Plus, if you have nothing to hide you've nothing to worry about. 

Torquemada may have said "give me six lines from an honest man and I'll hang him" but I'm sure we can trust the Tories. He was French, or Spanish or something anyway. Certainly from the EU so not to be trusted. I personally know Priti will not let anything bad happen to anyone. I'm 1 million percent behind her and our superhero PM. 

19 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I fully support the government tracking all 70m citizens. I'm sure they won't abuse the data. Plus, if you have nothing to hide you've nothing to worry about. 

Torquemada may have said "give me six lines from an honest man and I'll hang him" but I'm sure we can trust the Tories. He was French, or Spanish or something anyway. Certainly from the EU so not to be trusted. I personally know Priti will not let anything bad happen to anyone. I'm 1 million percent behind her and our superhero PM. 

It’s a testing time. Makes me wary too. I can see the logic, scientifically it makes sense but sheeesh we need to be on our guard.

i get your irony and it’s more than valid .. but if another wing was in charge and doing the same thing  what would you say ? .. that’s as much of a test of the integrity of your point, as the point itself.

right now I am on board but like most of the British public, we are obedient and respectful .. to a certain point, but not beyond. 

21 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

According to the BBC, The current proposed tracking app is dependent upon someone that has self diagnosed as having the virus first downloading the app and then declaring their status. So, on that basis, anyone concerned about the authorities tracking them need not worry. The whole thing will be voluntary.

Only other people that have also downloaded the app will be notified that they have been in close contact with either a self-diagnosed sufferer (amber alert) or a confirmed case (red alert). The person receiving the alert will not know who the infected/potentially infected person is.

So, assuming their explanation is correct and represents what will eventually be delivered no one needs worry about being tracked or having anything to hide.

Having said all of that, I'm sure there will be some suspicious folk on this forum that are convinced this is all a secret plot by the government to impose a police state and erode our liberties.

Archived