v Wigan Athletic (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well I voiced my displeasure at half time, second half was better but still unacceptable.

My take on things:-

Hamer - Gives me more confidence than Roos. Couple of good saves first half to keep it at 0-0. Distribution pretty good.

Bogle - Not sure what has happened to him. Seemed to be targeted first half. No attacking threat until the last 10 minutes. Way too casual at times. I fear his head has been turned.

Lowe - An upgrade on Malone. Bags of energy and offered some attacking threat. Needs to work on his crossing. 

Davies - Same as normal really, didnt do much wrong. His distribution is poor though. Seemed to miss a free header first half but it was other end to us so not sure how good the chance was.

Forsyth - Abysmal. He is not a centre back. His lazy passes put us in trouble on at least 3 occasions first half. We all know he is a confidence player and right now he has none. Needs taking out of the firing line.

Bielek - Never looks fit to me. Good bringing the ball out sometimes but is just as likely to give it away. Passes are hit and miss. Too many erratic challenges.

Holmes - Same as usual, bags of energy, carries the ball well, no end product.

Knight - My MOTM. Not afraid to get on the ball and put himself about. Great driving run into the box in the second half.

Lawrence - charlatan. Hopefully the suspension brings down the curtains on his DCFC career. Pulling out of challenges, running blindly into defenders, shooting from 40 yards. Seen it since the day he joined and absolutely no signs of improvement. 

Waghorn - nearly made a mess of the equaliser. That's the only thing I remember him doing all match. Mainly because we never get the ball forward to him.

Martin - Pretty much as Waghorn, although he did not score the equaliser and he did win a few headers.

Bird - Did ok after coming on for Bielek but still havent really seen anything from him to convince me he will cut it at this level.

Whittaker - A boy playing in a mans game. Not ready for this level yet.

Marriott - Changed the game for us as an attacking force and actually got us in dangerous positions. Assist for the goal I believe.

U know the thing that worries me .... and more importantly has me in the cocu out camp is that u could use your review to blanket cover the last 2 months of games and perhaps more.

tbh it is more as it feels like a steady and painful decline to this point where performances collectively and individually are on the floor

i worry that no amount of Wayne Rooneys can turn this shower around, the only thing that I’m giving him the benefit of doubt on is timescale and rotten luck with injuries 

but I’m deeply concerned where this season is heading and ultimately the buck stops with the gaffer and HIS tactics 

4 hours ago, Carnero said:

What?! ?

Didnt think it was a great finish and defender very nearly saved it.

Not seen it back so only going on my view from the stands.

If it was a good finish happy to be corrected.

Also thought he missed a gokd chance first half but am told it was a difficult chance.

3 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

U know the thing that worries me .... and more importantly has me in the cocu out camp is that u could use your review to blanket cover the last 2 months of games and perhaps more.

tbh it is more as it feels like a steady and painful decline to this point where performances collectively and individually are on the floor

i worry that no amount of Wayne Rooneys can turn this shower around, the only thing that I’m giving him the benefit of doubt on is timescale and rotten luck with injuries 

but I’m deeply concerned where this season is heading and ultimately the buck stops with the gaffer and HIS tactics 

Couldn't disagree with that.

The shortcomings off all of our players do seem to be evident match after match.

What do we do about it? Hes pretty much playing his best team. We all want stability and a consistent identity throughout the club so should he change his tactics?

For me he needs to stop the rot and get some points on the board before he starts blooding so many of the youngsters, throwing them into the team in it's current state and with the crowds growing restless could set them back.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Didnt think it was a great finish and defender very nearly saved it.

Not seen it back so only going on my view from the stands.

If it was a good finish happy to be corrected.

Also thought he missed a gokd chance first half but am told it was a difficult chance.

Fair enough if you've not seen a replay at all - he smashed it first time with his weaker foot through a crowd of bodies. It was an excellent strike.

He should have done better with the first half chance, tried to set it wide and curl it into the far corner, but failed to curl it so it just arrowed wide of the post by a good foot or so.

2 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Fair enough if you've not seen a replay at all - he smashed it first time with his weaker foot through a crowd of bodies. It was an excellent strike.

He should have done better with the first half chance, tried to set it wide and curl it into the far corner, but failed to curl it so it just arrowed wide of the post by a good foot or so.

Just watched it back and yes I was probably harsh on him, was a decent enough finish.

2 hours ago, Carnero said:

When I watched back the first missed chance you can see the pass hit to him was way too hard and he did well to kill it enough to get a shot off at all,, that’s our biggest problem passes over hit, under hit ,behind the man receiving it or to far ahead , our players rank poor passing is killing us

2 hours ago, Archied said:

When I watched back the first missed chance you can see the pass hit to him was way too hard and he did well to kill it enough to get a shot off at all,, that’s our biggest problem passes over hit, under hit ,behind the man receiving it or to far ahead , our players rank poor passing is killing us

That’s my feeling too. That isn’t Cocu, or the system. That is mostly skill, concentration, application, effort but chuck in that intangible “confidence” - now that is where Cocu needs to be inspiring. 

I don’t think our players are bad. I think our players are rattled by a load of things, some the manager can influence but a heck of a lot / most has been out of his control.

valuable point, doesn’t matter how we got it. It’s a step that isn’t backwards. ?

6 hours ago, Carnero said:

He should have passed the first half chance, two players in a better position I think?

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah which is why he should have passed, his execution has been poor in front of goal for some time and we don't create that much.

Just watched it back again, with the intention of sending you a screenshot to prove I was right... trouble is the screenshot would have shown a free Lawrence & Martin in the middle if he'd have rolled it across with the outside of his left foot ?

9 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Just watched it back again, with the intention of sending you a screenshot to prove I was right... trouble is the screenshot would have shown a free Lawrence & Martin in the middle if he'd have rolled it across with the outside of his left foot ?

To be fair based on the fact that the 2 that you mention score less than me I think you are right!

21 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

To be fair based on the fact that the 2 that you mention score less than me I think you are right!

Because no-one sets them up. Getting fed up with the poo our strike force is taking, even Waghorn hasn't had that many chances. No team can expect to score lots of goals with no creativity unless Harry is taking freekicks. But then we're not getting far enough forward to gain freekicks!

5 hours ago, Archied said:

That's the big problem imo.

I don't mind players trying a chancy pass to break the press, but the amount of times we have an easy ball to a wide man, and play it to feet or even behind the man is exasperating when he's got yards of space in front of him. 

It's been a problem from the Clement days, yet never gets fixed.

On 26/12/2019 at 16:42, TigerTedd said:

Anyone else hear Ramma quite clearly say ‘oh ducking hell’ in the background as Dawes commentated the goal. 

At least that out a smile on my face. 

Yes caught that as well when listening to the commentary live, and it's not been edited out of the Sportscene Podcast on the match so is out there for posterity. Felt just like being at the game.

Archived