v Wigan Athletic (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, GrimsbyRam said:

All fine and good but how do you explain Bielsa then?  first season he spent less than Cocu has already, his side had finished 13th the year before (our comparison was the play offs) or Swansea losing James and McBurnie and making improvements generally.  It's about man management.  This guy does not have it.

Leeds have also lost Roofe and Jansson. Best defender and main goalscorer.

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not even Marriott apparently. Cocu would have left McGrath out and not played Kinky.

Two managers both said the same thing, but yes it must be Cocu who is the problem here

Playing a player regularly who has issues with his application sends out completely the wrong message. What will it tell Sibley, Knight, Buchanan, Whittaker?

a) no matter how hard the senior plays try, you’re not getting in ahead of them

b) you don’t need to work hard to get a place

Just now, ThePrisoner said:

I know that! Was just mimicking the endless cries on Twitter and here of why we don't start him.

I was being sarcastic though. Lots of players need to play to get match fit. Even if he only scored goals, how awful would that be?

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Weird statement to make if you actually thought that. Because Norwich fans couldn't see it happening for Farke either. Their forum was full of people wanting rid of him because of the turgid football in the first season. The VAST majority.

If you think that; you have to just cope with this season ? 

Spot on! im still not sure Cocu will be successful but the time some fans want to give him is ridiculous. 

27 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I am not sure how anyone, least of all Mel, can stay calm at this point.

This has been on the cards for weeks.

All of the teams around us that looked dead and buried and miles away - Middlesbrough, Stoke, Huddersfield, Luton, even Barnsley and Wigan - are improving, picking up points and showing some desire and some fight.

We are winless in seven league games and have picked up 3 points out of 21 in the most lacklustre fashion.

That six point gap will be whittled away in no time at all.

Give it a go. It's a much nicer place to be.

55 minutes ago, GrimsbyRam said:

All fine and good but how do you explain Bielsa then?  first season he spent less than Cocu has already, his side had finished 13th the year before (our comparison was the play offs) or Swansea losing James and McBurnie and making improvements generally.  It's about man management.  This guy does not have it.

You're massively oversimplifying the situations their current managers walked into and making an invalid comparison.

Swansea still had parachute payments and some players who's ability was Premier League standard. Their current manager has come in the back of some good work by Graeme Potter / Rodney Trotter. Yes they've lost players but they've still got the basis of a very good Championship team.

We scraped 6th with a squad playing to their absolute maximum, but it wasn't built on solid foundations and what we've been left with is an unbalanced shambles built on years of short terminism and papered over cracks.

Leeds had spent a few years building a semi sensible squad and Bielsa took them to another level, 

The basis for a lot of good teams is starting with a group of players you rely on to consistently put in 6-7/10 performances. We've got a team/squad built on players who's only consistency is their inconsistency, nobody you can truly rely on.

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

Its been over a month since we won any game now. This run of games was supposed to be a nice easy run against 7 teams below us and so far we've lost 3-0 to Reading and absolutely robbed the bottom side of a point.

Maybe things will change when Rooney joins the team, but until then i wouldnt be hopeful of winning anything.

I will back Cocu as long as we arent in the relegation zone and he needs a bit of time to see how any new signings do. However this is only because i dont want to completely change style/manager again - i'm not convinced we will be particularly entertaining under Cocu.

Pretty much my feelings, Cocu had no pre season, little time to plan or find players for what he considered weak places, add the injuries etc it’s been a tough start to life as a championship manager.

So I wouldn’t advocate change, unless we are really struggling as not only has he not had time, it’s just more upheaval. That said, I confess to be struggling with what I see, forget the youth coming through, I don’t buy that as it’s mostly been enforced.

We have barely looked like scoring yet alone winning away, add the drop off in home performance, I really am struggling to see any progress let alone entertainment. It just feels a bitter pill at present ☹️

Archived