Mac 3 clickbait

DCFC27

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was at his best as a coach/assistant manager. When he worked with Jim Smith we had perhaps the most exciting time ever, and I lived through the Clough and MacKay eras. Once he left for Man U, we went downhill as SMith went into "try not to lose" mode, whikle Man U went on and up, and won that treble, i believe.

1 hour ago, DCFC27 said:

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/championship/Derby-county/Derby-rams-fans-talk-mcclaren-return/

although this did get me thinking surely he would have been a better option than Rosinior? There’s no denying he’s a brilliant coach and has an eye for a player. 

I think a big part of the problem is that he doesn't have an eye for a player. He's very good at motivating under-performing teams, but quite poor at bringing in his own players. That's one of the reasons he can never maintain his initial impetus. 

Todd was dire. He messed about with Kinkladze, eventually picking him in response to fans' disappointment when he was left out (Todd said so at the time). 

Shteve was good when he had Simmo next to him. He used Simmo a lot during games with decisions - especially attacking changes which usually paid off. Shteve was nowhere near as good when he didn't have Simmo alongside him (in his last spell)

4 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

He was at his best as a coach/assistant manager. When he worked with Jim Smith we had perhaps the most exciting time ever, and I lived through the Clough and MacKay eras. Once he left for Man U, we went downhill as SMith went into "try not to lose" mode, whikle Man U went on and up, and won that treble, i believe.

Spot on post ...I’ve always thought what if we had gone for Clough and Maclaren ...it was Cloughs players that Mac got playing well with a few of his ideas as well ..Mac is a good coach but not sure he’s a manager 

3 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

I think a big part of the problem is that he doesn't have an eye for a player. He's very good at motivating under-performing teams, but quite poor at bringing in his own players. That's one of the reasons he can never maintain his initial impetus. 

Simon Dawkins Thorne (pre injury) Wisdom, Cyrus Christie, David Nugent, Kelle Roos, Ryan Shotton. 

We have had good use out of all of these players, the only player that really did nothing was Arbentosa. You can’t say that for most of our managers can you? He was very good at making these fairly average players look quite good with his coaching. 

2 hours ago, DCFC Ram said:

Todd was dire. He messed about with Kinkladze, eventually picking him in response to fans' disappointment when he was left out (Todd said so at the time). 

Shteve was good when he had Simmo next to him. He used Simmo a lot during games with decisions - especially attacking changes which usually paid off. Shteve was nowhere near as good when he didn't have Simmo alongside him (in his last spell)

Think his last spell is under appreciated and misinterpreted to be honest. All the fuss was about getting us away from the relegation zone and playing ‘The Derby Way’ again.

The first few months he had us organised and hard to beat and he, almost accidentally, took us to fifth.

He then signed a controller in De Sart and a link up man in Nugent. His downfall was thinking this was enough to have us playing Mac 1 ball again. He tried to change us stylistically mid season. 

But that was why he was appointed, wasn’t it? 

In both his spells he immediately got much more out of the players he inherited. 

This is what has been lacking from Coco. I am struggling to identify a single player who has progressed. Injuries have blighted his time so far and mid-table is no surprise but how will he turn around our form before we join the relegation dogfight?

9 hours ago, DCFC27 said:

Simon Dawkins Thorne (pre injury) Wisdom, Cyrus Christie, David Nugent, Kelle Roos, Ryan Shotton. 

We have had good use out of all of these players, the only player that really did nothing was Arbentosa. You can’t say that for most of our managers can you? He was very good at making these fairly average players look quite good with his coaching. 

Wisdom doesn't really count in that list unless you're going to add all the loans. In fairness some of the loans were pretty good.

As for the rest, did any of them improve us? Thorne was great for about 15 games. Shotton was poor. Dawkins was OK, but not an upgrade. Nugent was amusing, but didn't do very much really. Roos is an OK back up. The best signing was Christie. My point is that his signings as a whole didn't improve us. What he did is get the best out of the existing players. 

4 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Wisdom doesn't really count in that list unless you're going to add all the loans. In fairness some of the loans were pretty good.

As for the rest, did any of them improve us? Thorne was great for about 15 games. Shotton was poor. Dawkins was OK, but not an upgrade. Nugent was amusing, but didn't do very much really. Roos is an OK back up. The best signing was Christie. My point is that his signings as a whole didn't improve us. What he did is get the best out of the existing players. 

My point was he had an eye for a player that would suit his system, the only player I remember him bringing in and not having a positive impact was Arbentuso. The rest all played fairly well under Mac.

4 hours ago, Bob Gnarly said:

Surely a DOF role would suit Mac right now?

So, I was thinking of starting a thread on this. What exactly does a DOF do? Is he ultimately responsible for signings?

It's this last question that has me worried. Let's suppose that we bring in a DOF, and just for argument it's McClaren. Is Mac the right person to bring in new players? Many feel that his biggest problem is player recruitment. So would Cocu, or any future managers, have to work with players that they ultimately hadn't chosen? And what exactly would Cocu's role be? A manager who doesn't choose his own players is basically a coach. Would he be ok with a "demotion"? I believe his job title is manager and not head coach?

The next question is, who does the buck stop at? If the team is doing badly who do you sack? The manager, who didn't choose any of his players, or the man responsible for recruitment? Then when the next, and the next, manager fails he's gone too?

An error in choosing the DOF could be an absolute disaster for the club, not for a couple of seasons but for God knows how long.

Archived