Sibley the best!

Brammie Steve

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Fantastic. I’m 20 years older than you @Alpha. Bring back the fag smoke and boiled hotdog onion aroma of the BBG any day and the feeling that you were about to watch a cracking game of football in a supercharged atmosphere. 

That sentence just brought back memories of walking into my first game at the Baseball Ground, standing around waiting while my dad nipped into the pop side bogs and smelling the aroma of fags, hot dogs and old spice.

14 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

That sentence just brought back memories of walking into my first game at the Baseball Ground, standing around waiting while my dad nipped into the pop side bogs and smelling the aroma of fags, hot dogs and old spice.

I know...there was a great build-up of tension and atmosphere from about 2:35 onwards. Sometimes you appeared on the terrace and the buzz was already in full swing...until the chanting started and the energy started to flow around the ground...

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

How far away are we from American style coverage. Every break in play a quick sponsor will be on the screen. All stadiums sponsored name changes. One league match played abroad. 

I guess it's all understandable. It's the only way to get ahead of the comp. I bet at one time it was unthinkable that Man United would snub the FA Cup and Cardiff would change their kit colour.

I think the majority of fans will accept change. 

Derby wearing Paddy Power Green? "Hey, if it helps us compete then that's what we have to do. Besides, we haven't always been black and white" kind of talk.

We accepted "iPro" 

Vast majority see 32Red helping us bag Rooney as a very clever move.

The majority will accept it. A few will slip away with a shake of the head but they'll be replaced and forgotten. 

I used to know all about teams all over the leagues. I could name a couple of players from Port Vale or tell you the name of every ground. 

Now I couldn't name you any Championship starting 11. I couldn't name you many PL starting 11!!!

I follow Derby but mostly against my will. The whole sport has changed and I find myself feeling a bit bitter about the whole thing. I'm 34 but it's changed a lot since my teens

The face of a crowd has changed a lot.

Theres nothing wrong with Tarquin filling his face with a sponsored Latte. Nobody should be excluded from football. But it feels as if everything is geared towards recliner chairs and a waiter in the South Stand. 

That's cool. It's just not how it was when I first went to the BBG. That's the game I fell in love with.That raw tribal bravado.

I know pundits have been a thing for as long as I can remember. But the last decade or so has been a battle of broadcasters trying to milk every last drop of interest from you. "Don't go!! We have 500 of your favourite players here to explain something you can't possibly understand" 

We've gone from Alan Hansen pressing pause to Gary Neville's giant ipad. 

The pundits are all competing to stand out as so go OTT to the point Kevin Kilbane is furious with Vincent Kompany's positioning and Alan Shearer thinks elbowing someone is a disgrace. No trace of hypocrisy..

Advertising in general just bothers me. I find it so intrusive. Everything you go on it's just a bombardment. A billion promises. Wear this aftershave and you'll have a strong jawline. Buy these trainers and you'll beat Usain Bolt. Everybody flew to the Maldives yesterday except you. Pay us just £300 per day and you too can drive our car and pretend you own it. Do you need Credit? We will give you £75m and you don't pay a single penny back. Ever! 

********, baalocks and lies. 

Shove a battery up my arse and my transformation into a robot is complete. 

I realise I sound like a rebel without a cause. It's part of my grand plan to be a miserable Bamford before I'm 35. 

Sorry. Sibely is good anyway. ?

I've missed your rants. Always articulate with a brilliant humour. But the main thing is they are always true. 

Sibley is top drawer, I'm really hoping he gets a go soon

Far outperforming dowell for the 23s who was brought in specifically to spearhead our first team midfield 

Didn't see him in the cup games though so don't know he looked then 

19 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Read that again... that wasn't Old Spice you could smell, but it's an easy mistake to make!

On 15/11/2019 at 15:27, King Kevin said:

Where were they ?names familiar but can't place the location.

It was Leys and Ewarts mate next to BBG 

My Dad was a joiner and my Uncle a draftsman I think. 

I spent some  hours myself working on the foundry roof .

Pea soupers often originated from the Leys foundry and came over the BBG during games 

The first workers from America I believe used to play Baseball in their break time .

Hence the name Baseball Ground. 

20 minutes ago, Curtains said:

It was Leys and Ewarts mate next to BBG 

My Dad was a joiner and my Uncle a draftsman I think. 

I spent some  hours myself working on the foundry roof .

Pea soupers often originated from the Leys foundry and came over the BBG during games 

The first workers from America I believe used to play Baseball in their break time .

Hence the name Baseball Ground. 

The chairman of the foundry was a big fan of a healthy workforce, and fell in love with baseball on a US trip, hence he encouraged his workers to play it.

Between us and Nottingham Forest, we dominated the national baseball league in the latter part of the 19th century.

We may have been the only two teams playing, mind.

4 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

The chairman of the foundry was a big fan of a healthy workforce, and fell in love with baseball on a US trip, hence he encouraged his workers to play it.

Between us and Nottingham Forest, we dominated the national baseball league in the latter part of the 19th century.

We may have been the only two teams playing, mind.

And there was me thinking the term "Derby Game" had summat to do with two local Roman Legions playing against each other when billeted in the area several centuries earlier!

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2019/11/phillip-cocu-discusses-derbys-long-term-vision

If you listen to this interview from 16 minutes in, Cocu reiterates his 3-year plan with young players. Again, it might be frustrating that the likes of Sibley aren't playing, but it's certainly not because he's been forgotten about. He has a plan and he intends to carry it out.

For duck's sake, Melvin, just give him time.

Archived