Sibley the best!

Brammie Steve

26 minutes ago, jono said:

I’ve voiced my worries about his rashness but I’ll second that Angie. Fire, skill, aggression. Something we need badly, and as Rooney showed at 16 if your physique is developed then there is no reason not to play at a young age. Wouldn’t it be great if we got a Roy Keane type of player in our midfield 

Think you're doing him a bit of disservice with that comparison, he's a better dribbler and attacker than that.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Srg said:

But balance, quick feet, centre of gravity etc etc all go into not being dispossessed. If you're brain is faster than everyone else on the pitch, it goes a damn long way, It's way over-simplification to state that because he's not 6ft and built that he's automatically too lightweight. Half the forum would've been feeding Hughes pies and protein shakes if they had their way.

Oh absolutely and that's what I was trying to get at (although re-reading my post I'm not sure it entirely comes across)

3 hours ago, Ellafella said:

To be fair @BathRam72 the thread is about just one youngster. We did see quite a few being given opportunity earlier in the season culminating in the Carabao Cup and since then none have. *
There was a rumour that Darren Wassall & Phillip had disagreed over the use of youth with the former allegedly unhappy that most of them “were not ready” for the step up. All good helpful debate I’m sure. 
One has to ask the following question:

Why was it that Nigel Clough was able to bring through 3 youngsters in a short space of time? Luck? Necessity? Blind faith? Strategy and good planning? 

I’ll just repeat what I said earlier: of all the lads we’ve seen {Bird, Knight, Bucannan, Sibley}, Sibley for me was the one who demonstrated the factor x to go further...

* actually I do recall the lad at Hull who came on at 0-0. 

I think with Clough it's a fair few things but I suspect the biggest factors were time and necessity.

Clough was at the club for 4.5 years which is substantially longer than most managers we've had in recent-ish history. With a longer period of time the chances that a rare talent comes through become higher and there is more time for the manager to follow the player from a younger age to keep an eye on them and work with them. If I'm honest personally I don't think 3 (although counting Bennett is a stretch because it's only recently that he's started to cement himself as a squad player) is that excellent of a record in that time period, I think any club in our situation at that time would have produced a similar number. Which leads to the next point...

The secondary factor was necessity and our situation at the time. We were doing as much we could at the time to keep the wages down as much as possible so there is a natural incentive to encourage youth and give them more game time. It's much easier to ride out the dips in performance of a youth player when you have no choice to play them and when promotion or relegation aren't really happening.

With Cocu I do expect we shall start to see players like Sibley make the break through, his record at PSV was fantastic on this front and I think he's already demonstrated a willingness to put these players in his squad.

In pre-season Sibbo said to me "I just want a chance to show [Cocu] what I can do" or something like that. I'm concerned that when Rooney is playing there's one fewer place. Our current midfield is average at best when young Louie has the potential to be a cross between Mount and Wilson. After last night (and everything he's done) he deserves the chance. If we don't play him, we'll never know.

Not been on the forum because of disillusionment with the club but playing Sibley would be something that encouraged me to re-engage.

I think Sibley, Knight, JLR, Buchanan and maybe even trialist are the closest to making a move up to be involved with the first team. 

Their development has to be managed correctly but I would hope we give all of all of the above some 1st team game time this season, with a view to getting them experience for next season. 

I think Holmes position is the one under threat at the moment with Knight and Sibley prime contenders for the position should Cocu feel they are ready. I would prefer to see us give them two some opportunities ahead of Dowell. 

3 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

I think Sibley, Knight, JLR, Buchanan and maybe even trialist are the closest to making a move up to be involved with the first team. 

Their development has to be managed correctly but I would hope we give all of all of the above some 1st team game time this season, with a view to getting them experience for next season. 

I think Holmes position is the one under threat at the moment with Knight and Sibley prime contenders for the position should Cocu feel they are ready. I would prefer to see us give them two some opportunities ahead of Dowell. 

I called it back when the kit was released.

image.png.b4688ce2d862f73353e623e39493f0e8.png

Signing of the season.

23 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Buchanan, Bird, Knight, Sibley and Whittaker are the ones involved with the first team the most.

33 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

JLR?

Archived