Sibley the best!

Brammie Steve

When have Derby benefitted from loaning players out? I can’t remember any player in the past that Derby have loaned who has come back a better play apart from perhaps Max Lowe. His Shrewsbury experience was poo though. 

I don’t see the need for a loan. Get them in the squad and let them learn on the job this season. 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, enachops said:

When have Derby benefitted from loaning players out? I can’t remember any player in the past that Derby have loaned who has come back a better play apart from perhaps Max Lowe. His Shrewsbury experience was poo though. 

I don’t see the need for a loan. Get them in the squad and let them learn on the job this season. 

Sturbridge went onto loan at Torquay and came back better

For those that have watched a lot of Sibley what is his best position? Could he play in a midfield 3, is he a wide attacker or a 10. Hope he’s not the latter as we have enough of them but strikes me as a bit lightweight.

Knight looked like he could do a job in the midfield 3. Looked decent when I’ve seen him, hasn’t been given another chance since Brentford.

10 minutes ago, iolanthe said:

Sturbridge went onto loan at Torquay and came back better

You are right Sturridge did benefit. But if memory serves, Sturridge didn’t play at the start of the season, Smith threw him in a league cup game and then he went on a run. He very nearly left that pre season.

I still think this season is an ideal scenario for blooding some of the very promising youngsters we have.

59 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'm sure they'll get promoted when they're ready.

Meh, Jeff only got his break because Green was injured, we couldn’t sign Eustace and Bailey picked up an injury first game. 

My long standing theory is that if you aren’t good enough at 18 then you won’t be. Arsene Wenger puts it more eloquently than myself;

“You build a player like you build a house. The basis of the player is the technique, and you get that between seven and 14 years of age. If you have no technical skill at 14, you will never be a football player. Then the first floor is the physical aspect, unfortunately that is decided between 14 and 17, where you see if they will be quick enough and strong enough.“

If Sibley is good enough then play him now. 

6 minutes ago, enachops said:

You are right Sturridge did benefit. But if memory serves, Sturridge didn’t play at the start of the season, Smith threw him in a league cup game and then he went on a run. He very nearly left that pre season.

I still think this season is an ideal scenario for blooding some of the very promising youngsters we have.

I believe we got Paul Trollope with the intention being a straight swap if Sturridge did ok . After he scored in every game we changed our mind and paid for Trollope.

7 hours ago, Gisby said:

If they good enough does age really matter?? How many of the greats of our beautiful game would have missed out if they hadn’t been given that initial opportunity?? If they aren’t given the chance in the first place how will we ever know??

Stevie powell played at 16....

I think Sibley AND knight have a good chance of getting into the squad. I've always liked Sibley, een with his rash challenging at times ( didn't bother Scholes did it?).

I think it's hard for the club to try and blood young players, {especially if we have a few that could benefit from playing plenty of games in the first team), because of the demands of the fans expecting us to be challenging.

If we put 2 or 3 in to the team and finish mid table the **** **** will be out moaning about why we didn't buy players to get us promoted.

8 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

We do have a manager with a proven track record of bringing through youngsters.

I understand your comment though, that's how it's been in the past, odd minutes here and there but little progression, but for now I think we have to trust Cocu and the detailed plans he's laid for exposing the youngsters to the first team, if reports are true.

Cocu has spoken about how bringing young players through is a three-year process. It’s frustrating not to see him playing right now, but I trust that he knows what he’s doing in the long term (if he’s given the bloody time to do it!).

7 hours ago, Brummie Steve said:

All we are saying is

Give Sibs a chance!

Watching the way he charges through from midfield then, if he sees a player in a better scoring position, passes to them to pull the trigger.

Just what the Rams need and Right under our noses!

Sibley did indeed look very good last night against a very very very young Leeds side.

Can he do it in the first team? Tough to say, it is a very big upgrade even at championship level.

If we are going to blood some of the youngsters and try and build on our slow but obvious progression, then I suggest we do it one at a time. 

So yes give Sibley a few cameos ie come on late if we are winning, if we start to get some momentum then bring him in earlier.

Could be suicide to bring through 2 - 3  together and our fickle fan base will moan because we are using TOO many youngsters.

49 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Sibley did indeed look very good last night against a very very very young Leeds side.

Can he do it in the first team? Tough to say, it is a very big upgrade even at championship level.

If we are going to blood some of the youngsters and try and build on our slow but obvious progression, then I suggest we do it one at a time. 

So yes give Sibley a few cameos ie come on late if we are winning, if we start to get some momentum then bring him in earlier.

Could be suicide to bring through 2 - 3  together and our fickle fan base will moan because we are using TOO many youngsters.

To be fair @BathRam72 the thread is about just one youngster. We did see quite a few being given opportunity earlier in the season culminating in the Carabao Cup and since then none have. *
There was a rumour that Darren Wassall & Phillip had disagreed over the use of youth with the former allegedly unhappy that most of them “were not ready” for the step up. All good helpful debate I’m sure. 
One has to ask the following question:

Why was it that Nigel Clough was able to bring through 3 youngsters in a short space of time? Luck? Necessity? Blind faith? Strategy and good planning? 

I’ll just repeat what I said earlier: of all the lads we’ve seen {Bird, Knight, Bucannan, Sibley}, Sibley for me was the one who demonstrated the factor x to go further...

* actually I do recall the lad at Hull who came on at 0-0. 

31 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Why was it that Nigel Clough was able to bring through 3 youngsters in a short space of time? Luck? Necessity? Blind faith? Strategy and good planning? 

If i recall that time correctly ambitions were a lot less then, At least half of our fanbase is expecting top 6, however most of us see the thinking and realise we're in it for the long term, not the short term ?

Archived