Sibley the best!

Brammie Steve

9 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

For those that have watched a lot of Sibley what is his best position? Could he play in a midfield 3, is he a wide attacker or a 10. Hope he’s not the latter as we have enough of them but strikes me as a bit lightweight.

Knight looked like he could do a job in the midfield 3. Looked decent when I’ve seen him, hasn’t been given another chance since Brentford.

The one thing that might hold him back from the first team is he can dish it out .Deffo not a lightweight far from it.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Stagtime said:

This is what I find puzzling about football. In my chosen sport ( Rugby League ), if you haven't made it into the top team by the time you are 19 chances are you aren't going to make it.

each sport is different each sport has different requirements physically,Theres no mystery

1 hour ago, BathRam72 said:

Sibley did indeed look very good last night against a very very very young Leeds side.

Can he do it in the first team? Tough to say, it is a very big upgrade even at championship level.

If we are going to blood some of the youngsters and try and build on our slow but obvious progression, then I suggest we do it one at a time. 

So yes give Sibley a few cameos ie come on late if we are winning, if we start to get some momentum then bring him in earlier.

Could be suicide to bring through 2 - 3  together and our fickle fan base will moan because we are using TOO many youngsters.

can't underestimate  the positive impact driven from confidence.  Let him enjoy this time of his career when success comes quickly and often.  He will become a better player if we manage him correctly and the reverse could be true if we throw him into a side that frankly lacks confidence.  If we miss the playoffs lets hope we miss them by a couple of matches and give him a taste at the end of the season.  Fully expect him to be in the first team squad next season.

38 minutes ago, Srg said:

Always love the argument about players being too lightweight. I wonder if La Masia have the same archaic debate time after time?

Whilst I largely agree with you I think there is a couple different related arguments:

1) Are they going to get bullied ? 

2) Are they capable of making the step up physically ? 

Now on 1) I think this often where people simplify the argument to the lightweight but I think there is a consideration of whether a player is going to be too easy to dispossess or brush off physically (for certain positions). But  what is missed is that a player can be slight and hard to dispossess, the easy example being Hughes.

And on 2) it is important to recognise the increased physical demand of the step up but I think it should be more viewed through the lens of protecting the player so they don't get unnecessarily injured. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Interesting comment by Wilson (I think) last night talking about Sibley's comments on how he needs to improve his training. Can't remember the exact phrases, anyone else hear?

I think it was @OwenB87 who said Sibley is struggling to put the performances into first team training which he's achieving during matches... Wilson took that comment as Sibley not putting the effort into training.
It's probably why we've seen little of him in the first team matches so far. It may just take a bit of time for him to adapt confidence wise at the next level, and learn when to hold on to or release the ball.

38 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Whilst I largely agree with you I think there is a couple different related arguments:

1) Are they going to get bullied ? 

2) Are they capable of making the step up physically ? 

Now on 1) I think this often where people simplify the argument to the lightweight but I think there is a consideration of whether a player is going to be too easy to dispossess or brush off physically (for certain positions). But  what is missed is that a player can be slight and hard to dispossess, the easy example being Hughes.

And on 2) it is important to recognise the increased physical demand of the step up but I think it should be more viewed through the lens of protecting the player so they don't get unnecessarily injured. 

But balance, quick feet, centre of gravity etc etc all go into not being dispossessed. If you're brain is faster than everyone else on the pitch, it goes a damn long way, It's way over-simplification to state that because he's not 6ft and built that he's automatically too lightweight. Half the forum would've been feeding Hughes pies and protein shakes if they had their way.

9 minutes ago, Srg said:

But balance, quick feet, centre of gravity etc etc all go into not being dispossessed. If you're brain is faster than everyone else on the pitch, it goes a damn long way, It's way over-simplification to state that because he's not 6ft and built that he's automatically too lightweight. Half the forum would've been feeding Hughes pies and protein shakes if they had their way.

Sorry, only laughing on the last bit! I agree totally with what you have written.

3 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Cocu has spoken about how bringing young players through is a three-year process. It’s frustrating not to see him playing right now, but I trust that he knows what he’s doing in the long term (if he’s given the bloody time to do it!).

True in Phil we trust.

1 minute ago, angieram said:

Someone asked me whether Sibley was ready for first team earlier in season and I replied that I wanted to wait a while to see him "chomping at the bit". 

Well I am now seeing plenty of chomping going on; he has to be close.

Chomping? Well we did say we needed a Bradley Johnson replacement....?

12 hours ago, angieram said:

I love Louie Sibley and am just pleased everyone else is beginning to love him too. 

BTW, if you're good enough, you're old enough!

I’ve voiced my worries about his rashness but I’ll second that Angie. Fire, skill, aggression. Something we need badly, and as Rooney showed at 16 if your physique is developed then there is no reason not to play at a young age. Wouldn’t it be great if we got a Roy Keane type of player in our midfield 

11 hours ago, enachops said:

When have Derby benefitted from loaning players out? I can’t remember any player in the past that Derby have loaned who has come back a better play apart from perhaps Max Lowe. His Shrewsbury experience was poo though. 

I don’t see the need for a loan. Get them in the squad and let them learn on the job this season. 

Never been loaned to the right teams who probably play a similar way to how the team plays.

It's no good putting a player under our philosophy and who's being trained that way to then go and loan them to just any team because that team needs a player. 

In today's game, the player and loan must fit the team. I firmly believe that all of Elsniks loans never helped his progression once and if anything, sent him backwards.

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Why was it that Nigel Clough was able to bring through 3 youngsters in a short space of time? Luck? Necessity? Blind faith? Strategy and good planning? 

Blind faith, luck and necessity. There was also the likes of Callum Ball.

It's great that we are able to have these conversations about quite a few players in the academy. We haven't ever had so many players who could be close to being given a chance.

Lampard and Morris certainly started to help with this but I think Cocu is about to start taking the acacemy (with Wassall) onto a completely different level. Exciting times ahead. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think it was @OwenB87 who said Sibley is struggling to put the performances into first team training which he's achieving during matches... Wilson took that comment as Sibley not putting the effort into training.
It's probably why we've seen little of him in the first team matches so far. It may just take a bit of time for him to adapt confidence wise at the next level, and learn when to hold on to or release the ball.

I can't remember exactly how I worded it, but Louie talks about it in this interview - 

Archived