Sign in to follow this  
Brummie Steve

Sibley the best!

Watching the U/23s tonight.

In first 22 minutes Sibley has scored 2 and assisted a 3rd to make it 3-0 vs Leeds.

With Sibley (okay Bennett etc) in the squad are we about to see a shake-up in Mr Cocu's first team?

12 minutes ago, Brummie Steve said:

Watching the U/23s tonight.

In first 22 minutes Sibley has scored 2 and assisted a 3rd to make it 3-0 vs Leeds.

With Sibley (okay Bennett etc) in the squad are we about to see a shake-up in Mr Cocu's first team?

Of all the youngsters we’ve seen on the fringes {Knight, et alia}, Sibley struck me as “the one” with the grit to make the transition to the full squad. Sounds like he’s on fire tonight. 

I agree, in my limited knowledge, Sibley looks like an absolute gem.

If he can sort out rash challenges, I’ve a feeling he could be the ‘next big thing’ out of the academy.

The future is bright 😎

He’s certainly hugely highly rated by all accounts, playing at the standard he is at his age. But we’ve gotta remember that he, and many of our other young lads, are all still exactly that- young lads! We can’t be expecting 18/19 year olds to be immediately making a massive impact at first team level. Some do like bogle, and it’s amazing when someone that young does step up, but you don’t wanna be relying on it. Gotta give players like Sibley the time to develop and Become the best players they can be, don’t wanna rush them and ruin their progression. 

Be brilliant if he and others could step up to the first team right now, but we’ve gotta remember they’re totally unproven at senior level, so who knows what level they’ll be at. If they’re not ready yet though, maybe some loans should be in order so we can see properly where they’re at in their development?

If they good enough does age really matter?? How many of the greats of our beautiful game would have missed out if they hadn’t been given that initial opportunity?? If they aren’t given the chance in the first place how will we ever know??

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

He’s certainly hugely highly rated by all accounts, playing at the standard he is at his age. But we’ve gotta remember that he, and many of our other young lads, are all still exactly that- young lads! We can’t be expecting 18/19 year olds to be immediately making a massive impact at first team level. Some do like bogle, and it’s amazing when someone that young does step up, but you don’t wanna be relying on it. Gotta give players like Sibley the time to develop and Become the best players they can be, don’t wanna rush them and ruin their progression. 

Be brilliant if he and others could step up to the first team right now, but we’ve gotta remember they’re totally unproven at senior level, so who knows what level they’ll be at. If they’re not ready yet though, maybe some loans should be in order so we can see properly where they’re at in their development?

This is what I find puzzling about football. In my chosen sport ( Rugby League ), if you haven't made it into the top team by the time you are 19 chances are you aren't going to make it.

1 minute ago, Stagtime said:

This is what I find puzzling about football. In my chosen sport ( Rugby League ), if you haven't made it into the top team by the time you are 19 chances are you aren't going to make it.

Can’t say I know much about rugby, but I guess because the age you reach your prime varies from sport to sport, then so does the age where you stop being a “youngster” so to speak. Given we have u23 youth teams, I suppose the logical age to set that limit is at 23, which is probably older than in days gone by, but we’ve seen so many players come from nothing at 22/23 that it’s clear there is a pattern of late bloomers.

8 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Can’t say I know much about rugby, but I guess because the age you reach your prime varies from sport to sport, then so does the age where you stop being a “youngster” so to speak. Given we have u23 youth teams, I suppose the logical age to set that limit is at 23, which is probably older than in days gone by, but we’ve seen so many players come from nothing at 22/23 that it’s clear there is a pattern of late bloomers.

We have what they call second year syndrome. A kid with talent will tear it up the first year in the 1sts but then usually other teams work them out come the second year and you find that they struggle a bit. It's how they kick out of that second year that will tell you how good they will be.

The way the league is this season, we could quite easily snag 6th spot and end up in the play offs again. However, I would much rather we promoted half a dozen of these guys to the match day squad every week, in the second half of the season, in preparation for them having a full run at it, next season. 

1 minute ago, Uptherams said:

. However, I would much rather we promoted half a dozen of these guys to the match day squad every week, in the second half of the season, in preparation for them having a full run at it, next season. 

I'm sure they'll get promoted when they're ready.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'm sure they'll get promoted when they're ready.

With youngsters we all know there is no so called ready. They need an opportunity over 20 odd games. I think we can provide them that opportunity in the second half of this season. Merely letting them play 60 minutes every 3 months just isn't a good way to blood them. 

This season is the perfect season to blood Sibley and others. We are not going up or down (hopefully) so less pressure. The midfield balance isn’t right. It’s a similar scenario to when Clough blooded Hughes and Hendrick.  Sibley should at least be in the squad - get him in! 

32 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

With youngsters we all know there is no so called ready. They need an opportunity over 20 odd games. I think we can provide them that opportunity in the second half of this season. Merely letting them play 60 minutes every 3 months just isn't a good way to blood them. 

We do have a manager with a proven track record of bringing through youngsters.

I understand your comment though, that's how it's been in the past, odd minutes here and there but little progression, but for now I think we have to trust Cocu and the detailed plans he's laid for exposing the youngsters to the first team, if reports are true.

They'll be plenty of league 1 & 2 teams who'd take him on loan for the 2nd half of the season. Not ideal but a great test to see if he'll be ready for next season in the 1st team