our role as supporters

Spanish

I expect some will agree with but maybe many won't and I may need to find my tin hat!

the last 24 hours have been horrible and I have been very critical of those that witnessed the after event drinks evening.  I am trying not to overreact but I sense we are in a bit of a mess and facing a crisis.  Some fans have been provoked by all this to aim criticism at the club and IMO some of it has sounded more like something you would from the enemy rather than a friend.  Our pet red dogs on this forum have been quite respectful really but we have been doing most of the work for them!  I anticipate some of the more extreme responses are being copied around the florest, leeds etc forums whilst they laugh at us.  We all have the right to comment but I question whether the current approach by some is healthy. 

This is starting to get to me, as I have said elsewhere the clubs current representatives and players are temporary but the fans are permanent.  I am treating this as a siege which we will get through.  Rather than venting anger at the club I want to be a supporter doing the limited amount, I suppose I am able to, to help rather than hinder

I vow to give my club my blind support until it recovers, until that time comes I will not publicly crticise anything relating to the club whatsoever.

I would fervently hope there will be a few others with a similar approach 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is extenuating circumstances though. I get that some fans like to maintain a positive mentality no matter the results, and that's understandable. But there is nothing positive to come out of this debacle. The club's name has been dragged through the mud. I think it'll take some time for the club's image to heal, because despite as you say players being temporary, they are still representing us, so when they do something like that the club as a whole suffers.

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

This is extenuating circumstances though. I get that some fans like to maintain a positive mentality no matter the results, and that's understandable. But there is nothing positive to come out of this debacle. The club's name has been dragged through the mud. I think it'll take some time for the club's image to heal, because despite as you say players being temporary, they are still representing us, so when they do something like that the club as a whole suffers.

not arguing with you,  All I said was that continued criticism is not going to help.  Maybe I am trying to move on too soon?

Just now, Spanish said:

not arguing with you,  All I said was that continued criticism is not going to help.  Maybe I am trying to move on too soon?

I think it's a perfectly legitimate stance to have. But you have to accept a lot of supporters won't move on that quickly. A lot of our supporters will know someone or will be directly affected by drink driving, and it won't be that easy for them to forget.

The club also has my full support as a supporter. 

Comes as no surprise that this has been used to reignite attacks towards Mel who right now I cannot imagine how he must feel, not only an owner but a fan of this club.

He, Phillip Cocu, the staff and their teammates have all been let down by the actions of a small number of individuals.

It was clear from yesterday’s press conference this has deeply saddened Cocu and I’m sure that feeling runs throughout the club. 

Talk of boycotting games, not wearing club colours, booing during games is the last thing this club deserves or needs right now. 

By coming together now and supporting this club from top to bottom does not condone the actions of those individuals, nor does it have to condone transfer activity, manager sackings, stadium sales or anything you feel personally aggrieved by. 

Please, I beg you to put that and this irresponsible selfish act to one side and get behind this club, because as supporters that’s our role. This club means so much to so many people to just walk away and distance ourselves when it needs us the most.

There is a reason you all keep coming on this forum everyday, spending hours at a time. You love this club.

Tomorrow, Pride Park needs to be rocking louder than it ever has before, show of solidarity, no songs, chants making light or trying to find a humour from this situation, it’s not funny, there is nothing to laugh at. 

Family friendly, allowing all 4 stands to join in and create an atmosphere fitting of this club. 

Come on Derby!!!!

What's that old saying? Sometimes in a crisis, you learn who your friends are?

I think we can choose, as supporters, to back the players that did the right thing, rather than focus on lambasting those that didn't.

I wish I could get there on Saturday. I'd going over-the-top to make sure the players wearing that Derby shirt know I back them.

I support the club through thick and thin. 

I'm not condoning the actions of those involved and expect to see appropriate punishment, then when the dust has settled and if they have shown genuine remorse and made moves to grow as human beings we move on.

If you forever hold people accountable to their worst mistakes despite their efforts to learn from the experience it probably says more about you than it does them. 

7 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I support the club through thick and thin. 

I'm not condoning the actions of those involved and expect to see appropriate punishment, then when the dust has settled and if they have shown genuine remorse and made moves to grow as human beings we move on.

If you forever hold people accountable to their worst mistakes despite their efforts to learn from the experience it probably says more about you than it does them. 

I still haven't forgiven Stephen Warnock for that sending off against Reading in the cup.  For these 3 bozos it's going to take a while.

26 minutes ago, David said:

Comes as no surprise that this has been used to reignite attacks towards Mel who right now I cannot imagine how he must feel, not only an owner but a fan of this club.

He, Phillip Cocu, the staff and their teammates have all been let down by the actions of a small number of individuals.

It was clear from yesterday’s press conference this has deeply saddened Cocu and I’m sure that feeling runs throughout the club. 

Talk of boycotting games, not wearing club colours, booing during games is the last thing this club deserves or needs right now. 

By coming together now and supporting this club from top to bottom does not condone the actions of those individuals, nor does it have to condone transfer activity, manager sackings, stadium sales or anything you feel personally aggrieved by. 

Please, I beg you to put that and this irresponsible selfish act to one side and get behind this club, because as supporters that’s our role. This club means so much to so many people to just walk away and distance ourselves when it needs us the most.

There is a reason you all keep coming on this forum everyday, spending hours at a time. You love this club.

Tomorrow, Pride Park needs to be rocking louder than it ever has before, show of solidarity, no songs, chants making light or trying to find a humour from this situation, it’s not funny, there is nothing to laugh at. 

Family friendly, allowing all 4 stands to join in and create an atmosphere fitting of this club. 

Come on Derby!!!!

Exactly. Well said, @David

This thread echoes my thoughts so much. Since we became aware of these events I've had that feeling of sickness in the pit of my stomach - much, much worse than had we lost 5-0 in 2 successive home games against Leeds and Forest. I can't imagine how our owner must be feeling or what effect it might have on potential investors which Mel is clearly seeking to lighten the financial burden on him personally.

It wouldn't bother me one bit if the two drivers involved never set foot in Pride Park ever again but I also have reservations as to whether it's wise appointing Huddlestone as captain, if there is any substance in reports about his involvement in publicising certain events of that evening. Richard Keogh - what on earth were you doing???

I wish we could fast forward to the end of the season with our Championship place still intact and start season 2020/21 afresh with this completely distasteful episode behind us but that's not going to happen. It's possible that this week will weigh our club down for the rest of the season.

I agree in part, but I’m still fuming over this whole affair. I’ll get one thing out there, if any of the players involved play tomorrow, I’ll boo their names, and they won’t have my support at all. If cocu says Bennett and Lawrence are gonna play, I may not turn up at all. Can’t stomach watching those two wearing our shirt. Some will call me a half fan, I don’t care. This whole episode makes me feel sick and ashamed to support this club, and I just can’t bring myself to cheer on people who have done things like this while representing us. I’m also angry at the clubs statement as well which doesn’t seem to be taking the incident anywhere near as severely as I’d hoped- but I understand that we can’t make full judgements until all details on the event are available, so I’ll wait until I see what the club does after the court date before directing any anger at them and the way we’re being run.

However, other than that, the remainder of the team not involved in the incident will have my support more than ever. They’ll be playing in such difficult circumstances and I’ll be right behind them, hoping they can save us.

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I agree in part, but I’m still fuming over this whole affair. I’ll get one thing out there, if any of the players involved play tomorrow, I’ll boo their names, and they won’t have my support at all. If cocu says Bennett and Lawrence are gonna play, I may not turn up at all. Can’t stomach watching those two wearing our shirt. Some will call me a half fan, I don’t care. This whole episode makes me feel sick and ashamed to support this club, and I just can’t bring myself to cheer on people who have done things like this while representing us. I’m also angry at the clubs statement as well which doesn’t seem to be taking the incident anywhere near as severely as I’d hoped- but I understand that we can’t make full judgements until all details on the event are available, so I’ll wait until I see what the club does after the court date before directing any anger at them and the way we’re being run.

However, other than that, the remainder of the team not involved in the incident will have my support more than ever. They’ll be playing in such difficult circumstances and I’ll be right behind them, hoping they can save us.

I pretty much assume (expect) that Bennett and Lawrence will be suspended at least until after the trial.  I also expect the team to put in a massive effort tomorrow and I will back them all the way.

The person deserving and needing our support is Cocu. Regardless of what you think of selection, tactics, we need to back him more than ever tomorrow. He was dealt a crap hand to start the season and his captain and most reliable player has just gone and shafted the season. His job was tough before this but now it is a massive task. If the fans turn on the players and staff, those who did the right thing, just because of a few idiots, then we really will be ducked.

2 hours ago, Spanish said:

I expect some will agree with but maybe many won't and I may need to find my tin hat!

the last 24 hours have been horrible and I have been very critical of those that witnessed the after event drinks evening.  I am trying not to overreact but I sense we are in a bit of a mess and facing a crisis.  Some fans have been provoked by all this to aim criticism at the club and IMO some of it has sounded more like something you would from the enemy rather than a friend.  Our pet red dogs on this forum have been quite respectful really but we have been doing most of the work for them!  I anticipate some of the more extreme responses are being copied around the florest, leeds etc forums whilst they laugh at us.  We all have the right to comment but I question whether the current approach by some is healthy. 

This is starting to get to me, as I have said elsewhere the clubs current representatives and players are temporary but the fans are permanent.  I am treating this as a siege which we will get through.  Rather than venting anger at the club I want to be a supporter doing the limited amount, I suppose I am able to, to help rather than hinder

I vow to give my club my blind support until it recovers, until that time comes I will not publicly crticise anything relating to the club whatsoever.

I would fervently hope there will be a few others with a similar approach 

Things have to be kept in perspective here, we are looking at the actions of a few individuals not the whole club. Only the individuals involved can be held to account for their actions.

Our Captain should have known better and is lucky to only be nursing a bad knee and the end of his career, he could easily have been fatally injured. 

The behaviour just compounds recent poor performances, I pay over £1,000 for four season tickets and have become disillusioned watching us ( before this incident ). So this just gives fans the stick to beat them with and quite rightly. 

What is needed now is a response from those that are fit both physically and mentally ( equally as important ) to show the fans they do care and can be committed athletes. 

Everyone is entitled to a few drinks with work colleagues but we all know they overstepped the line. I’m not sure I would be showing my face tomorrow if this was me, I’d be shamefully embarrassed. 

Thank god nobody outside of this moronic over paid idiots group was injured. How many people have lost their lives on that particular road in the last decade, they are lucky they didn’t kill anyone and they have to carry that guilt. Lawrence has to look at Keogh and carry that guilt, Keogh has to look at his wife and child knowing he put his life on the line......for what.

I am not sure getting behind them tomorrow will be a given, I think they have to extract that support from us very early on, it may help our opponents so the task is even more difficult.

The players on the pitch tomorrow may have been present, they may have had a few, they may have filmed others being sick but they didn’t get in a car drunk and risk theirs or overs lives. 

All Derby aren’t we !!

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I don't think there's a cat in hells chance any of those involved will play for the foreseable future. Cocu would lose the dressing room if he picks them straight away after this debacle.

4 hours ago, David said:

Come on Derby!!!!

Nearly gave this the ? like, but thought that might be in poor taste. Well said though

15 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I would hope not, but he didn’t make it explicit in his interview 

I imagine he just didn't commit but in doing so a lot of people have interpreted it as they're not out of contention. 

I fully expect the clubs disciplinary hearings to occur after the court date.

6 hours ago, BondJovi said:

The person deserving and needing our support is Cocu. Regardless of what you think of selection, tactics, we need to back him more than ever tomorrow. He was dealt a crap hand to start the season and his captain and most reliable player has just gone and shafted the season. His job was tough before this but now it is a massive task. If the fans turn on the players and staff, those who did the right thing, just because of a few idiots, then we really will be ducked.

Archived