Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

1 hour ago, SouthStandRamma said:

As for Huddlestone, no proof he was in the car, and who doesn’t take drunk videos of their mates? He probably had no idea what was about to happen that night, and went home sensibly at 8pm like the rest. I do think some people need to get a grip.

Ignore the car(s).  (Nobody has claimed Hudds was anywhere near any car, at any stage of the evening)
Ignore the arrests.
Ignore the captain (and arguably our best player over a considerable period) being out injured for the rest of this season.
Ignore the fact that Hudds was almost certainly sober throughout, and quite possibly left before 8pm, and almost certainly well before anyone seemingly drunk drove away.

Concentrate solely on the following...

...Taking a video of your drunken (vomiting)  mate, who happens to be a pro footballer at a highly successful club (Currently 38th in the whole of England and Wales... that's a big club by anybody's reckoning!), during a period where things aren't exactly going as well as they could be on the pitch, then "posting" it somewhere in the clouds, where there is the possibility... however minute... that it could become publicly aired. 
All this whilst not only appearing unconcerned with regards to any consequences, but also actively encouraging said activities (Remember... he was sober!)
All this whilst apparently finding such an event entertaining, and amusing.  (Remember... he was sober!)

Please answer me this... do you think these are the actions of someone you would be pleased to see sporting the captains armband at our beloved club?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Can you not see how absurd yours in?

One night of bad decisions has now rewritten this kid's entire character? Really?

Err yes it does !

He can of course try and make things better with future actions and conduct but at the moment yes it does.

5 minutes ago, Popular side said:

Wait a minute, he’s now our captain!!... filming a fellow player who’s completely intoxicated , thinking that’s fun. A team that has struggled this season. Players that should show dedication and showing professionalism . Come on, it’s his response, his attitude that’s obviously part of the problem at the club. He comes out of this with no glory. Absolutely no way should he get the  captains arm band. How can we applaud him and others involved when they run out of the tunnel Saturday. 

Well, based on that you should probably work on redacting a fair number of the applause you've give over the years; as night's out during the season similar to this (prior to the decision to drive drunk, one hopes) are not uncommon.

3 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Ignore the car(s).  (Nobody has claimed Hudds was anywhere near any car, at any stage of the evening)
Ignore the arrests.
Ignore the captain (and arguably our best player over a considerable period) being out injured for the rest of this season.
Ignore the fact that Hudds was almost certainly sober throughout, and quite possibly left before 8pm, and almost certainly well before anyone seemingly drunk drove away.

Concentrate solely on the following...

...Taking a video of your drunken (vomiting)  mate, who happens to be a pro footballer at a highly successful club (Currently 38th in the whole of England and Wales... that's a big club by anybody's reckoning!), during a period where things aren't exactly going as well as they could be on the pitch, then "posting" it somewhere in the clouds, where there is the possibility... however minute... that it could become publicly aired. 
All this whilst not only appearing unconcerned with regards to any consequences, but also actively encouraging said activities (Remember... he was sober!)
All this whilst apparently finding such an event entertaining, and amusing.  (Remember... he was sober!)

Please answer me this... do you think these are the actions of someone you would be pleased to see sporting the captains armband at our beloved club?

He was one of the group at the time though, didn't know he was about to be given the captains role. He will now be under strict instruction to lead this team both on and off the pitch. It's how he treats his role from this day forward that matters.

24 minutes ago, Andicis said:

You're seriously suggesting Derby have plastic fans? Good grief. We don't win things, we're not in the Premier League, if anyone was a plastic fan they'd be going to the Etihad or to Anfield.

Derby County glory hunters ... LOL!

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

Yeah, those are all arguments a defence lawyer might try and use. I doubt they would be successful.

Actually the CPS cannot put forward an what clothing was being worn to identify a criminal, you have to ID the person, not the clothing. Any DNA harvested from clothing is okay, but the appearance of clothing isn't.

23 minutes ago, goldstar said:

That's exactly what I'm saying. He's just shown the opposite of that! Hardworking at slamming Peronis down him!

Can you not see how absurd that statement is?

Making a serious error of judgement is not mutually exclusive to being hardworking and appreciative of anything. You can have/be both.

14 minutes ago, Pastinaak said:

There's no reason to think he had any idea they'd do that.

In my eyes two very separate thing happened that night.

1. Some players got too drunk on a night out and did drunken things against the club's rules.

2. Some players took their cars out while drunk.

Players involved in the first one should get a Dutch rollicking and no more. The second thing is infinitely more serious and as far as I'm aware Tom Hudds had nothing to do with it.

Fair point.

I would add to the first section by saying that anyone involved does not show leadership material. However, if Cocu wasn’t aware of Huddlestone’s involvement before declaring him captain, it puts him in a very difficult position. Does he keep him as captain despite a blatant lack of professionalism? Or does he risk looking weak by changing the captain yet again?

17 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Why is everyone saying Keogh's career is over? Davies missed all of last season and has still come back, although, admittedly, we don't really know at what level.

Unless Keogh's injury is so bad that he might lose his leg, I think some people are being a little premature.

He was legless in the car.

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Well, based on that you should probably work on redacting a fair number of the applause you've give over the years; as night's out during the season similar to this (prior to the decision to drive drunk, one hopes) are not uncommon.

I appreciate your knowledge and insight and this wasn’t a completely catastrophic night for the club . Just a normal drinking culture within a club. That’s why incidents like this are a common occurrence every season. 

You cant separate the two things. yes players like a drink . But it’s apparent at Derby County it’s got out of control  and the crash is an indicator of that . You can’t underplay this . Catastrophic events that has tainted everyone connected with the club 

9 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Fair point.

I would add to the first section by saying that anyone involved does not show leadership material. However, if Cocu wasn’t aware of Huddlestone’s involvement before declaring him captain, it puts him in a very difficult position. Does he keep him as captain despite a blatant lack of professionalism? Or does he risk looking weak by changing the captain yet again?

A bit aukward indeed.

I don't think he'll change it for tomorrow but probably tow the line "further information came out during out internal investigation" if he changes again, Curtis the obvious choice if playing.

6 minutes ago, Popular side said:

I appreciate your knowledge and insight and this wasn’t a completely catastrophic night for the club . Just a normal drinking culture within a club. That’s why incidents like this are a common occurrence every season. 

You cant separate the two things. yes players like a drink . But it’s apparent at Derby County it’s got out of control  and the crash is an indicator of that . You can’t underplay this . Catastrophic events that has tainted everyone connected with the club 

Including our new captain.. what a roll model 

12 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

If I was working at that pub and some **** *** offered me a handful of cash to clear up a load of sick blocking the urinals I'd have shoved it up his arse . What truly spoilt and disdainful behaviour.

I’m not sure how that’s your take from that part of the story. 

People are sick in toilets all the time and it will still have to be cleared. They’ve given a tip as a form of apology…

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

You're right about us being judged as one - this includes the fans. I'm as disappointed as the next person but I am not about to rush to judgement of the club until I hear the full facts.

I went to Loughborough last night, and was pleased to support the young players (and one not so young!) and see them play well.

I will go to Pride Park on Saturday and do the same with whatever team Cocu puts out. I'll support them throughout the game.

I understand if other people don't feel they can offer this support at the moment but if you want to demonstrate this, maybe the best thing to do is just stay away for a while. Attendance is not compulsory, but once you are there, if you don't get behind the team this is going to do even further damage to a club that is in a really low spot right now and affect people who are probably innocent in recent events. It's not really going to help, is it?

We're going to get plenty of stick for seasons to come from the clubs of other fans (maybe payback time for those stupid Collymore chants we've been singing for ever). Let them get on with it, but WE ARE Derby, and I think we've got to stand as one.

Whilst I'd agree that my staying silent throughout the game, without bearing a Ram Logo on my chest will not help the club per sé, I seriously doubt it will cause them "further damage" in any way.  In fact I'd go as far as to say they won't even notice!

I have purchased my season ticket, and neither want, nor feel the need, to stay away. 
Currently, I neither want, or feel the need, to physically or verbally show any disdain, dissatisfaction, or frustration... be that towards individuals or the club as a whole.
I have stated I want to give the club the time and the opportunity to deal with it.  Until such time, they will not get a negative response from me... and quite possibly not a positive one either.  I really want to see how they respond before I can comment on the club as a whole... whilst letting Mel know he's a mighty task ahead of him!

I would therefore conclude that we are in total agreement, you and I, with regards to your comment about "Rushing to judgement of the club until I hear the full facts".

I have stated I am envious of @David for his earlier stance of pride and support.  I'll now add you to that list.
I have stated that this is the first time I have felt this low about my club in the 44 years I have been supporting them.  That can neither be defended, nor explained!
I have stated that I may offer a light applause should we score... and again should we win.  To my shame, I forgot to mention I will also still be in my seat at the final whistle, as always.
I dare to state that may be more than some offer, even under "normal" circumstances.

I have not blamed the club, or the hierarchy within.
I have not stated I "want to change clubs" (unlike some), or stop supporting The Rams.

Whilst your own comments are noble and admirable, I do feel it a little unfair that you made them in direct response to my own post, as if pointing out some sort of  "lacking" on my part, with regards to supporting DCFC.  In order to prove my worthiness of being a supporter, must I emblazon my chest with a Ram Logo?  Must I "wear the colours"?  Must I actively and vocally convey my support throughout the game?  If so, then I have been an excellent supporter over the past 44 years... one of the best, I'd argue... but tomorrow, for the first time, I may prove to be unworthy.  
I'll come back and apologise, if that proves to be the case.

From the latest Derby Telegraph article:-

"Keogh will not be able to respond this season because his serious knee ligaments injury is likely to sideline him for a year or more"

Curtis Davies was 34 and ruled out for 6 months. 

Keogh is 33. Probably got 2/3 years left of his career at this level.

At the very least a year of that is gone. Probably more. 

To be already ruled out for at least a year means that it is an extremely bad injury. Barker was ruled out for a year initially.

Whilst I obviously had no issues with Barker earning whilst he was injured. 

For me now that in all likelihood, Keogh's career is over through is own inexcusable and indefensible actions. I would tear his contract up. We'll be covered on insurance I'd imagine. 

I wouldn't want us to pay him a penny now. 

Trust me how many times Mel Morris has stood by him, the club, the fans. Everything. 

No sympathy for the bloke whatsoever.

5 minutes ago, Malagaram said:

Put the dheads in stocks outside of pride park and let our fans pelt them with rotten eggs,vegetables,this was how lawbreakers were treated in the middle ages

Oh I know, we could add a Scottish Presbyterian  chair of shame where they confess their sins to the entire stadium and ask for redemption... hummm 

34 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

He was one of the group at the time though, didn't know he was about to be given the captains role. He will now be under strict instruction to lead this team both on and off the pitch. It's how he treats his role from this day forward that matters.

Fair point, I guess.  Still unsure "if the kind of guy who reacts like this" is the kind of guy who deserves the opportunity, but yeah... good point that may well be proved right.  Let's hope that... assuming the offer remains open to him... that you... and he... are proved right.

53 minutes ago, goldstar said:

He could have killed someone! Just luck that he didnt

Stop white knighting. He is 23 not a kid. He also has a daughter. Again, would you be so vehement in defending Patrick from Chellaston? Or Mark from Chad?

At 23 and with all the resources and money available to him then yes this bad decision does define him. 

I'm not white-knighting - I just fundamentally disagree with your opinion on this.

You're right, he's not a kid, but 23 is my know means old. The twenties are your formative years - I don't know how old you are, but I'm sure you will have/have had made some mistakes in your twenties.

Now your natural response to that is "yeah but I haven't done something as bad as this!" - and that's fine. That's good for you. But what if you had? Would you expect everyone around you to suddenly change their opinion of you as a person and as a character because of it?

I also think this "he could have killed someone" is a bit unfair because...he didn't. It was a reckless, dangerous and stupid thing to do - but we should be mindful of criticising him for the crime he did commit, rather than the crime he could have committed. 

Finally, your point: "At 23 and with all the resources and money available to him then yes this bad decision does define him."

I hope, in time, you change your mind on that last one. I would hate to think that anyone's bad decision in life completely defines them, be that Patrick from Chellaston or Mark from Chad (dependent of course on both the severity of the act in question and the number of people harmed/affected by said act).

Archived