How to we get the best out of Jack Marriott

hintonsboots

On a personal level, I was really excited when we signed Marriott from Posh. For me he has to be one of the best natural finishers I have seen since Bobby Davison. If you look at the goals he scored for Peterborough, 99 % were in and around the box playing in a front two. 

I really love this club but over the years we have bought players and then not played to their strengths. If he was playing for Leeds yesterday in place of PB , he would have scored a hat trick at a minimum. 

The old saying about Shaun Goater was feed him and he will score.

Is Chris Martin the key to unleashing Jack Marriott on the Championship?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

On a personal level, I was really excited when we signed Marriott from Posh. For me he has to be one of the best natural finishers I have seen since Bobby Davison. If you look at the goals he scored for Peterborough, 99 % were in and around the box playing in a front two. 

I really love this club but over the years we have bought players and then not played to their strengths. If he was playing for Leeds yesterday in place of PB , he would have scored a hat trick at a minimum. 

The old saying about Shaun Goater was feed him and he will score.

Is Chris Martin the key to unleashing Jack Marriott on the Championship?

Against a team like Leeds, it might be prudent to play Martin instead of Marriott. 

1 hour ago, plymouthram said:

I think it will work, stick Marriott up front on the shoulder of their last man, feed the ball to Martin and he can flick, thread, head etc balls in behind their last man. With the goalie just to beat, i am sure Jack will get more than he would miss in the back of the net.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy

If Cocu is going to persist with 4-3-3 with the current group, Martin should be the centre forward. He is more of a natural fit.

I like Marriott and I think he can work in a 4-3-3 but for that to happen consistently, it requires a much better front six than we currently have.

You could see Marriott working well if you inserted him into the Leeds starting eleven, for example. The same too with Brentford, Fulham and WBA.

But for us right now, I think we would have to completely change system to get more out of Marriott.

4-3-3 will leave him too isolated. 4-4-2 will expose the midfield. So I think 3-5-2 with Martin and Marriott up top is your only option, and I am not sure Cocu is at that point yet.

I think if Martin continues to impress, Marriott will be an impact player off the bench.

To answer the title of the thread. Play him in a 2, dont play him on his own chasing lost causes with wingers who can’t beat a full back or cross a ball. Get him a striking partner and stick with it. 

It’s obvious isn’t it? 

7 hours ago, DazaDunn said:

Could you have imaged saying that just two weeks ago? You’d have been tested for substance abuse. Amazing what football can do! 

I wanted Martin, Marriott and Waggy as a starting trio upfront before the season started so not that far away ? 

Does not matter what system you play if you cannot get the ball down the sides of the central defenders for Jack to burst on to.

Same applies to getting balls into the box pinging around off players,because  goalscorers like him seem to attract the ball in those situations.

You need a focal point for Marriott to work around, that could be Waghorn or Martin based on our current squad. The main problem is that playing two up top is not the done thing any more so we would need to change our entire system to make it work. Perhaps playing Martin through the middle and having Marriott on the left or right in a very narrow front three could do it, but then we are leaving our full back on whichever side that is exposed.

13 hours ago, RamNut said:

Unless we are going to play two up front, we might as well sell him.

We should also stop trying to lump long balls up to our tiny striker whilst we are at it. He needs the ball to his feet otherwise we may as well not even bother.

12 hours ago, Needlesh said:

Agree Jack would be best used in a front 2, but obviously that requires a radical shift in formation. Can't see any means of getting the best out of the rest of the squad with 2 up top.

We play 4-3-3 when we don't have any wingers. I can't see how it would be any worse to play with a two up top. The diamond worked great in several games last season and it would be a good option to look at again this season.

Whether the ball comes to his feet or not, Marriott's play outside the penalty area lacks quality. Even his speed seemed missing on Saturday.

If  Lampard struggled to accomodate him , when we had a more skilful midfield, the signs for this season are not good. Can he be anything more than an impact sub?

We’re definitely not getting the best out of jack at the moment that’s for sure. He certainly needs better service to get the goals out of him that we know he’s capable of. But I don’t think it’s as simple as saying pair him with Martin and he’ll immediately improve. Now I can get why people would claim that, you look at the attributes of the 2 players and they look well suited to playing together. But how do you get them together is the question? It won’t work in a 433 which we’re aiming towards, the only way it’s possible without a radical change in formation is a 4231- but again, that’ll leave a gaping midfield gap which has been one of our biggest problems. Now I’d argue that perhaps a radical formation change to a 3 at the back or a diamond is needed as they better suit our current personnel, but that’s for another thread and as cocu seems to prefer the 433 style (fair enough) then I think talking about such formation changes is a bit redundant.

So if we rule that idea out, imo it is still possible to get the best out of Marriott in a lone striking role. But we need better quality around him in terms of wingers and midfielders for it to succeed. He’s not good enough, and perhaps more importantly not experienced enough, to deal with the poor quality around him at the moment and work to make the best out of it. He just ends up isolated. So for the time being, how we get the best out of Marriott imo is to use him as an impact sub against tired legs- and start chris Martin. Long term, Marriott has to be our striker, he’s got the potential to be great, but until we can fix our awful midfield and widemen, we need a temporary solution. Martin is that imo.

23 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

cocu seems to prefer the 433 style (fair enough)

This is the bit I don’t get, why are we so obsessed with 433? we clearly now don't have the personnel to make that formation work.

Archived