How to we get the best out of Jack Marriott

hintonsboots

On 22/09/2019 at 13:17, hintonsboots said:

On a personal level, I was really excited when we signed Marriott from Posh. For me he has to be one of the best natural finishers I have seen since Bobby Davison. If you look at the goals he scored for Peterborough, 99 % were in and around the box playing in a front two. 

I really love this club but over the years we have bought players and then not played to their strengths. If he was playing for Leeds yesterday in place of PB , he would have scored a hat trick at a minimum. 

The old saying about Shaun Goater was feed him and he will score.

Is Chris Martin the key to unleashing Jack Marriott on the Championship?

Chris Martin starting next to jack Marriott would be a great plus (as would Martin and Vydra but it never happened) but we have an obsession playing defensive midfielders so we have to lose a central forward to do that and the strange thing is that we actually have the right type of players for a very good 442 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I agree and I can't see why, if that's the case, Cocu plays him.

I would imagine the plan is to play to his strengths, but three different managers haven't been able to stop Lawrence making wrong choices. Holmes hasn't played enough to see what real difference he makes this season. Evans got injured before really having a chance. Jozef...nevermind.

No one has played well enough or been fit enough for long enough to form any kind of partnership.

There is clearly more to get out of Marriott but more has to come from him. Lampard couldn't make it work with Marriott starting and he had Mount to work with!

Once we get a settled side we may see an understanding grow.

How were currently playing isn't suited to Marriott being started up front on his own.

For starters, our wingers hardly ever put a decent ball into the box (His goal v Sheff U at home last season), our midfield give him battling balls as does Roos when we launch it up to him hopelessly and no one seems good enough to play him in behind (His goal v Leeds away last season).

If were playing 4-3-3 through no real fault of his own it cant be Marriott to start it has to be Martin or Waghorn to lead the line. I as everyone else knows, if we switched to 2 up top with Marriott playing along side Martin/Waghorn it would massively improve the influence he is allowed to have on games.

Marriott isn't blameless though in my opinion, he needs to look at why Gayle was so effective when playing in this league, Gayle isn't the biggest but plays to his strengths and still gives the CB's a challenge despite his physical size. Marriott from what ive seen doesn't even bother to challenge with the CB's most of the time, this needs to change because even by jumping for a header can cause a mistake. He can also be cleverer with his pressing, he runs around a lot (chasing the ball) most of the time too much, he is quick but ive seen him lose foot races with CB's recently (Morrison and Cooper), he needs to retain energy for when he needs it. His hold up play and passing lets us down at times i know hes no hold up man like Martin but this can be improved in training. He is a good player, a goal scorer I would have him in the side with 2 up top no questions asked however, to start influencing games under Cocu he needs to improve and quickly.

On 24/09/2019 at 10:20, Alpha said:

Get the ball in the final third and not give it away.

Seriously. I was looking to find the stats of the passes and pass completion of teams in the final third. I couldn't find it but I predict for a side who has 50% + of the ball it must be low. 

I expect only the most direct counter attacking sides achieve less passes. 

It's truly pants how poorly we use the ball in the final third. 

How can Marriott be expected to do anything. He's a poacher. What is he meant to feed off. The closest he gets to players feeding him is a cross. There are not many clever passes put through gaps. Even clever inside channel through balls are rare. Usually some knob head has a shot before then

Nobody plays to his strengths and in return he can't really offer much 

Agreed.

Stats at HT v Leeds were shocking!

31% possession

0 Shots

0 Shots on target

0 touches in opponents box

57 completed passes compared to Leeds' 174.

Archived