Birmingham City (H) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

4 hours ago, SIWY said:

With everything that has happened at this club in the past week, how great is it to see a player fight his way back in to the first team out of obscurity through sheer hard work and determination? A player we had all seemingly wrote off at the start of the season, who simply wants to give his all for this club. Chris Martin has done himself and this club proud. Amazing!

Dont forget Curtis Davies back after a long injury and a great well spoken Captain

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, King Kevin said:

I was [am] a big Martin fan his footballing brain and skill make up for his lack of pace .But there is more to it than that ,we have been a bit of a soft touch for a while now and Chris Martin is no soft touch and it does matter. You don't dick CM around welcome back..

I’m very proud of Chris Martin. He has shown great maturity & resilience and real self-belief. A real example of how to conduct yourself professionally. Really hope he continues to enjoy success. Right now we need that character in our dressing room and on the pitch. ️

4 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I’m very proud of Chris Martin. He has shown great maturity & resilience and real self-belief. A real example of how to conduct yourself professionally. Really hope he continues to enjoy success.

I loved watching him today. He’s such an intelligent footballer, I really think he could be key to this team. Again!

Just now, Ellafella said:

I’m very proud of Chris Martin. He has shown great maturity & resilience and real self-belief. A real example of how to conduct yourself professionally. Really hope he continues to enjoy success.

One of the best things about Saturday was how many showed this. Not just Chris Martin but Curtis Davies as well and the Mel Morris contribution on RD was in the same vein. Cocu's interviews were also very impressive, I am very happy to have him in charge

A few thoughts from yesterday.

It became evident earlier on in the season that with this style of play, we needed a target man. Especially with teams pressing us. Step forward Chris Martin. Not only coming from deep for his classic 14/15 flick ons, but winning the long balls as well. We are not a route one team but when teams are in the high press, it gives us that outlet. So glad he is back.

Actually thought Zoon had a great game today. Nothing stand out, but so much better from what we have seen of him this season.

Pato is much better in the number 10 role. Some lovely skill and touches at times.

Roos needs to be stronger claiming for the ball. I think he's a good keeper and played well today, but it's either confidence or strength why he's punching all the time.

Waghorn didn't have a great game, clearly got the talent but a bit short on confidence atm. Well taken goal.

Holmes had a mixed game, played well, worked hard but like Waghorn, gave the ball away too often. 

Love that Curtis was back as captain, can still defend, just not the type of player to be playing it out from the back!

Lowe has been superb all season and had a great game today. Would love to see Bogle and Lowe in both full back positions. 

Overall, it wasn't pretty but glad we got the win. Plenty to work on though - onwards!

Well, talk about up's and down's!
Fantastic start, great finish... and a lot of work to do in between!

Sounds daft, but despite their possession and effort Brum didn't look like scoring... until they scored!  LOL!

Was more impressed with Huddlestone in the first half than I have been for a very, very long time... but was relieved the captaincy thing was amended before KO.  He did fade somewhat in the second half, but hat's off all the same.

Big up for Martin, Paterson, Lowe, and to a point, Davies and Malone.

MOTM for me has to be Big Duncan, despite tiring before he went off.  Absolutely love the guy!

Fans were great throughout, with much less heavy sighs and disgruntled groans than normal, when things weren't quite going to plan.  Everyone involved did their job... on and off the pitch.

Peno looked (very) harsh from my NE corner view (Looking through the net/crowded peno area/failing eyesight!  LOL!)  Looked a fair tackle, certainly with the ball's direction in mind, but comments on here appear to suggest it was a fair call.  I'll take that, until I get to see highlights/replays, at least.

Overriding feeling?... Relief!

Onwards and upwards.  COYRs

3 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Did you cheer when Pato bagged the winner? Did ya? Did ya?? @Mucker1884

I couldn't not... as per the two earlier goals... and especially the first!  I even did a jig in the aisle, but that was more for my own benefit than anything!  I do like a dance, when the mood takes me... and I never care who is watching! ??

1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

I couldn't not... as per the two earlier goals... and especially the first!  I even did a jig in the aisle, but that was more for my own benefit than anything!  I do like a dance, when the mood takes me... and I never care who is watching! ??

Me too! 

9 hours ago, DRBee said:

This is pure garbage  - his last match before being moved on ( to Reading  Jan 18) was Brum away - he came on as a sub and looked fine. He had also had a few good performances the previous November but the signing of Cameron Jerome by Gary Rowett meant he wasn't wanted by that wonderful manager, 

Sorry for my memory not being great then.  I just remember his last season with him not being as sharp as he was. If my memory doesn’t serve me well. Then I will chastise myself for the rest of the season 

What a game! And there’s been a few belters between us and the bluenoses in recent years, remember the 3-2 win under Clough where about 3 goals were scored in the last 15 mins!! 

Anyone see that stat Sky showed about how it’s 60 odd or 70 games since we last lost a game when scoring first. Really thought that was going but what a save from Kelle. His shot stopping isn’t in question, it’s the aerial dominance and at times distribution where he’s dodgy.

Delighted for all of them but particularly Curtis and Chrissy. Magnificent performances, it was like the Chrissy of old. Holmes was back on it and a Big shout to Paterson as well, worked his socks off and was excellent building on his Leeds cameo.

Yes there are issues, the midfield balance still doesn’t look right. Not sure how Cocu can address this as he’s constrained by his available personnel but while we’re suspect defensively as a unit going forward that was our best performance by a mile. 

Let’s get some good points on the board now and build on this!

9 hours ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

I thought Knight had an impressive all be it brief cameo. Won a strong challenge (more than Huddlestone and Holmes did all game) and set up an attack in the same move.

The midfield was being over run in the second half and think if he had been on earlier then it could have been less nerve wracking.

The change certainly was necessary to make, fully agreeing with that.

But factcheck via whoscored.com....

Hudds 3 tackles, bulldozer Holmes 2 tackles, Knight 0 tackles.

17 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Just one defensive midfielder and Martin & Paterson starting so I got what I've wanted all season.

I'm expecting a win and total domination by Hudds.

17 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Oh dear ?

Oh dear indeed. ?

Well the big negative for me yesterday was getting the train back to reading with a little a load of pissed brummies who were surprising up beat. One hell of a game, I think I have lost 5 years of my life. The atmosphere was excellent and although I could not understand a word they were singing ( apart from RK should have walked home) I thought the away fans were excellent, together with us what an atmosphere. 

Glad CM was in and did well , I have called for him to be involved for a few weeks now, thought everyone played well and can play better. Special mentions for me.

1- the fans excellent 

2- CM well. Done lad

3- CD excellent captain 

4 - KR excellent penalty save,  but you gave me palpitations in the first half

5- JP excellent game

6- ML he is showing he has a big future and I’m pleased fo was him

im happy and I have even scored a point in the prediction league, my first lol

im happy COYRs

I don't normally go on the predictions threads until after the team has been announced, just so I don't have to change my prediction because the player I chose isn't playing. I've just gone on, and I've given them a 10 for yesterday's performance. Yesterday wasn't about how the team played the actual football, but about their attitude, application, commitment...... whatever you want to call it. It's been a very bad week for the club (understatement of the week!), and coming after what looked like a new dawn at the end of the Leeds game. Everyone needed to show their true characters. And I mean everyone. Starting from Mel Morris (I never had any doubt about him), passing through Cocu and his staff (again, I thought he would handle himself well and he has been incredible), and us the fans. We needed to show support for the club and the players that have to turn this mess of a week into something resembling a football club trying to be successful. I thought the fans were excellent from what I saw and heard on RamsTV. It also looked as though far more than usual had stayed behind after the game to show their appreciation. The most important thing about yesterday, win, lose or draw, was always going to be the 18 players making up the match day squad. They had to show that they care. They had to show that they have got the balls to look adversity in the face and fight it. It wasn't important that they had a good game, they can't all be Ronaldo or Messi for 90 minutes in every game. But they can be Rob Hindmarch. I thought that to a man they stood up to be counted. They need that attitude in every single minute of every single game if they want to be successful. I don't care if they get relegated if they show the same attitude in all the games. You can only give your best. Yesterday they gave their best. Everyone gave their best. Well done everyone connected with Derby County Football Club.

We've missed Chris Martin's intelligence on the pitch and how to hold the ball, how to keep the ball, how to protect the ball, how to pass the ball and how to create and score goals. Waghorn needs to watch and learn from Chris Martin, especially when caught out in defence again, loosing ball and putting us on the back foot.

I had every faith in Super Chrissy Martin, and I had to keep quiet and bite my lip the other week in the pub for the WBA game when a fellow Ram was saying we should have sold him to Preston or whoever for £10m years ago etc.

Anyway I was very confident we would win yesterday, whilst I was keeping my eye on the scores on the TV screens in the concourse at Tannadice like you do. My lad was playing against Dundee FC at 1am, they played 3 lots of 25 mins, lost the first 2-1, lost the second 5-0, drew the last 2-2 and as the overall score was 9-3, outsiders just looking at the score would probably think they well beaten, but one team took their chances and played with intelligence, unfortunately on this occasion our boys who were far the better team in the first 25 and last 25 didn't play with the required intelligence and lacked in the decision making aspects in the middle 25 and lost a game that they should have and could of won. But that's football for you.

And then having 9 mins to jump in the car from Caird Park, get changed and be dropped outside Tannadice at about 3:05, and to run to the turnstile to hear a mighty roar thinking we've missed the first goal only to be told that's 2-0, is also unfortunately football for you. But hey ho, me and the boy were treated to four more goals and some real nice football from Dundee Utd in the sunshine.

Dundee Utd 6 Greenock Morton 0

And if Derby are looking for a player in January, Paul McMillan has pace (not shown in this clip) intelligence and helped his team today get about the pitch to score goals, just like our wonderful Chris Martin did.

Archived