Leeds United (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

18 hours ago, desirelines said:

From Phil Hay's match report in The Athletic

"Last season’s playoff semi-final was Derby County’s moment and they left their mark on Elland Road in more ways than one.
Champagne went everywhere, soaking manager Frank Lampard, and the away dressing room took a hammering: broken ceiling tiles, rubbish everywhere, a dubious brown substance on the floor. Leeds United cleaned up and chose to make nothing of it, for fear of being seen to suck on sour grapes."

?

We've done nothing illegal, and where in the rules does it say you're not allowed to do it? Just a man squatting in a public dressing room, don't know what those Leeds crybabies are complaining about.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, desirelines said:

"Last season’s playoff semi-final was Derby County’s moment and they left their mark on Elland Road in more ways than one.
Champagne went everywhere, soaking manager Frank Lampard, and the away dressing room took a hammering: broken ceiling tiles, rubbish everywhere, a dubious brown substance on the floor. Leeds United cleaned up and chose to make nothing of it, for fear of being seen to suck on sour grapes."

?

I’ve said it before, put the Leeds fans’ ‘always the victim’ attitude comes from their own press reporters posting unnecessary stuff like this out there. What purpose does it serve rather than saying ‘look how much better we are than everyone else. Him, Pope and Whelan can naff off.

57 minutes ago, JfR said:

We've done nothing illegal, and where in the rules does it say you're not allowed to do it? Just a man squatting in a public dressing room, don't know what those Leeds crybabies are complaining about.

crybabies... ???? WAFHL!!!

21 hours ago, desirelines said:

?

With Leeds' talent of twisting anything to make themselves victims, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if "a dubious brown substance on the floor" was mud, the thing that football pitches are made of

OK! After travelling all day Saturday I decided thar I needed to watch the game. I’m currently away on holiday on Tiree but interchangeable weather has let me sit down with a few cans of Tennants and take in the game. I decided rather than writing an in-depth ‘analysis’ style post that I’d take some notes and write minute by minute thoughts as it goes on (although I didn’t take note of the actual minute I wrote something so just treat it as a flowing set of notes). Yes, I have this exact amount of time available to do this. So sit back, pour yourself a drink and try to enjoy.

-Clarke is far too comfortable passing backwards, this invites unnecessary pressure. (*nb, as the game went on I wondered if the problem comes from a lack of output, but it’s hard to conclude on tv. It’s maybe a little column a and a little from column b. Opportunities do arise to pass but ball isn’t moved quick enough)

-Alioski, Cooper and White have all been guilty of putting in OTT challenges in situations it’s uncalled for. Shows a weakness to me.

-11 minutes in and Marriott is complaining about service. Sometimes in the no.9 role you have to try and make something in what you get. Unfortunately Marriott can only play one way where the work is done for him

-Zoon is looking to do the right things but is also devoid of confidence. Gets ours through but looks incredibly leggy rather than determined to get there.

-Big problem for Zoon is that he goes missing defensively, lots of space on the overlap and he’s nowhere near

-18 mins, chance to Leeds but in honesty a routine save. Keogh does enough to tighten the angle meaning the shot is always saveable. It’s messy but it’s a great bit of defending 

-The goal is poor and unfortunate at the same time. But Leeds havent dominated this game. A fluke goal has given them control rather than their actual play.

- Leeds crowd and players act as if they are Real Madrid and they are 3-0 up. Dangerous level of confidence.

- Derby do a short GK. Clarke ends up punting it down the wing. Zoon has to run out wide to chase but why isn’t he there in the first place. Why has he moved into the middle? The same happens a few minutes later

-DMs non existent as Harrison shoots from distance

-Similar to earlier Clarke comment. A lot of Derby players find it too easy to pass back.

-Bamford should have been booked for that challenge on Huddlestone. Keogh gives him a lot of verbal after, he’s firmly in Bamfords head and he know it. Give him no room and be a pain in the arse.

-Bamford offside before hitting a terrible shot. Looked thoroughly doubting of himself in front of goal, does he think Keogh is nearby?

-Derby attackers are rarely in front of their defenders and lost out on the ball so many times

-Done a very good job at keeping Hernandez quiet and hes their biggest threat. Kudos to Malone.

-43 minutes and not sure if Marriott has broken sweat. Pointing at others and telling them what to do. BUT if you aren’t doing what you should be doing then it’s not a great look.

-1st half done and I don’t think it was that bad? In fact we have defended very well. Once the attacking clicks and some defenders get more game time then I think we will improve considerably. The game plan is to let Leeds attack but keep Hernandez quiet and they’ve done this very well

-Bamford hits the lost but again Keogh stops it being a clean shot.

- 50 minutes and Marriotts lost all bite. Chasing shadows. Attacking threat is nulled because he can’t get the ball.

-Sometimes Leeds fans shout for free kicks and I’m not convinced they are sure what offence it’s for

-Harrison is average.

-58mims, Holmes make a great run off a long ball from Lowe. He sticks a hopeful ball to the back lost when Zoon is front last and Marriott is in no mans land. Holmes can only hook it in so why the heck is no one going to the back post?

-Lowe is playing very well, but his role is purely defensive and it suits.

-Big difference showing in Waghorn and Marriott. Waghorn has ground out Alioski for 60+ mins. He’s now starting to have more of an effect on the game because he’s battled through it. Marriott has not faced up to that side of the job meaning he’s won no battles and having no effect

-we’ve frustrated the crowd and their players are tiring

-Martin immediately gets in the game by dropping back to get the ball from midfield. Shouldn’t be overly noticeable but it is for reasons stated before!

-Zoon gets in a good position but seemingly stops his run before hitting it when it’s the crossed the line. Again a confidence problem

-Leeds issue is summed with Bamfords standing ovation. Done nothing, effected nothing and was in Keoghs back pocket. He works hard, can get in some half decent positions but offers nothing once there. Only joy he got was through Clarke.

-Cooper is a charlatan. Very overrated.

-Cocu now on the touch line. He knows his game plan is working. Bielsa is notably panicking, doesn’t come across well.

-THE TENSION IN THAT STADIUM CAN BE FELT THROUGH THE SCREEN. THIS ISNT GOOD FOR YOUR FOOTBALL CLUB

-shirt pulling in the box and not for the first time. Refs too afraid to act?

-Martins goal might be the best move either team produced for the whole game. Pundits talked about Derbys lack of chances, but little about how Leeds couldn’t break us down.

-Cocu deserves credit for this game plan, it’s not been perfect but it’s been very effective. He nearly outthought Bielsa in his first game against him.

-Clarke aside the penalty was fine. Keogh was comfortably the best player on the pitch for me, Lowe and Malone were immense too. Knight looked focused and determined when he was on. Changed the game with Paterson and Martin. Roos done nothing wrong

-Alioski squaring up at the end, you’ve done absolutely nothing this game mate, pipe down.

Christ. I’m sorry for the long read. Essentially Cocu had a very good game plan that nearly, nearly worked. It was actually much more impressive than anyone has given him credit for. In terms of players Keogh was his brilliant understated best, my motm for both sides. I’ve maybe been a bit cruel on Zoon and Marriott but I do think there are more mitigating circumstances than they were just poor. Anyway in summary, more positives than negatives for me!

Have a like @TuffLuff

I've not commented before because so many have said how poor we were, especially in the first half, and yet both at the match and having watched it back on TV since I'm not convinced that we were actually as bad as all the 'daylight robbery' headlines suggest.

Bielsa is meant to be a fantastic manager and this is his second season with his squad unlike Cocu who came right at the start of pre-season, via USA to a new country with a new team of players and to a club that he probably didn't know that much about even given the fact that negotiations probably started earlier than we were lead to believe.

For 60 minutes according to Bielsa, his team, favourites to go up, played better than at any time he has been in Leeds, yet they still didn't manage to score against us.  They had some shots, Roos made some good saves and our defenders did some good defending. They had a lot of the ball and moved it around well but if the object of the game is to stuff it in the onion bag then they had to rely on us to do it for them and even that was lucky, or unlucky depending on your point of view. And then we wore them down on what was a very hot day and dominated the end of the match scoring a very good goal with the best move of the game. Character, courage, skill and fitness were well in evidence from Derby

Last season in four games against them we won once and even in the game we won we had a slice of good fortune - just as we needed on Saturday.  We weren't dominant or playing free flowing football and our midfield was overrun at times but neither did we burgle a point.  After 8 games we are still a work in progress; the division's leaders should not be.

On 27/08/2018 at 21:41, Grimbeard said:

Got a season ticket for the first time in quite a while this year. I noticed during the Ipswich game that the bloke behind me was constantly moaning about Keogh. On Saturday I timed his first "Keogh, you're useless" shout at 2mins:15 secs.

If this goes on, I may have to kill him.

On 03/11/2018 at 20:36, Grimbeard said:

An update: I haven't killed The Bloke Behind me yet, but it's getting close.

Today 1st half:

T.B.B.M and his easily led mate:-

"Come on Derby, sort it out, we're rubbish!"

" That kid Holmes is too lightweight, get him off"

"Keogh, stop passing sideways, gerrit forward, GERRIT FORWARD!"  (repeated 432 times)

" Sort it out Lampard, this is rubbish!"

Half Time:

T.B.B.M and his easily led mate:-

BOOOoooo!

Second half, 1st 5 mins:

"Keogh, stop passing sideways, gerrit forward, GERRIT FORWARD!"

Next 40 odd mins:

Nowt, a blissful silence behind me.

I really think that I'll have to kill him, it's the only solution.

On 21/09/2019 at 15:50, Xlor said:

I've been watching ?. No chance in hell of getting promoted with him playing. He's all over the shop. You're obviously a "stat" man. Stick to watching his every move. Falls over more than I do after 10 kronenburg. Terrible, awful, shockingly bad. Does lion hearted/commited make you decent nowadays does it? Crap. 

You are the bloke behind me, and I claim my £5.

14 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Christ. I’m sorry for the long read. Essentially Cocu had a very good game plan that nearly, nearly worked. It was actually much more impressive than anyone has given him credit for. In terms of players Keogh was his brilliant understated best, my motm for both sides. I’ve maybe been a bit cruel on Zoon and Marriott but I do think there are more mitigating circumstances than they were just poor. Anyway in summary, more positives than negatives for me!

You are commenting on the game in the knowledge that we got a point out of it, that makes a difference imo. We got away with it because of L**ds appalling ability to finish. Combine that with a silly penalty miss and to say that Cocu's game plan was impressive is vastly overstated. His game plan didn't work because of how well we executed it.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

You are commenting on the game in the knowledge that we got a point out of it, that makes a difference imo. We got away with it because of L**ds appalling ability to finish. Combine that with a silly penalty miss and to say that Cocu's game plan was impressive is vastly overstated. His game plan didn't work because of how well we executed it.

Ofcourse it does, but it also makes a difference if you are commenting on a game fully in the emotion of real time. That maybe you only see Clarke’s unsureness on the ball lf Josefzoon being out of sorts without being able to focus as to why. My point is looking at the game in hindsight I can see what he’s trying to do and a more in form side would have probably come out with all three. To me that’s a positive sign, similar to what I was saying under Lampard. If you can start to see a game plan form then it’s good news. Leeds do have appalling finishers, aside Hernandez, but as I pointed out the closing down of angles was very impressive and actually stopped most chances (aside Bamfords lob) being clean shots. As I said originally Keogh had a very good game in that respect but no one has really picked on it.

I’ll criticise any manager when I think they’ve got something wrong, but I think in hindsight Cocu got this right. It’s not yet perfect but progress at this stage is good to see

47 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I’ll criticise any manager when I think they’ve got something wrong, but I think in hindsight Cocu got this right. It’s not yet perfect but progress at this stage is good to see

I can't see anything wrong with criticising Derby & Cocu's display against L**ds. As for getting it right, I can't agree when we didn't get 3 points and didn't play particularly well, cunning plan or no cunning Cocu plan. As for being able to see what Cocu is doing, well we won't play like that against Brum will we. So we'll see a different plan.

On 21/09/2019 at 17:31, Xlor said:

You can't call anyone thick pal after some of your '5k' comments. You think I'm thick for not rating Keogh (and the rest) , I think you're massively thick for rating the donkeys.  ??‍♂️. One win in 8, 16th in the league. Yeah, cracking. If anyone cares to read my original post then you'll be aware I mentioned 11 players not just Keogh and never Flint. Over and out. ?

Why do you follow Derby? It sounds like it makes you genuinely miserable? 

We have no god given right to be any place in the division. 

Archived