Starting 11

DCFC1388

Whether people like to admit it or not, Butterfield and Johnson would be a far better bet than what we currently have in midfield. The sad thing is, we all saw this coming. We all talked about needing a quality midfielder and winger. We got Dowell and Paterson who are probably worse than what we already had. Whoever scouts players for Derby needs to find a new job. Fail time and again, year after year, to buy anyone decent. The sooner Mel Sage and Steve Cross are fit the better as far as I am concerned. 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Derbydave96 said:

Roos

Bogle Keogh Clarke Lowe

Bielik Evans

Waghorn Marriott Holmes

Martin

I would bloody love to see that!

16 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Whether people like to admit it or not, Butterfield and Johnson would be a far better bet than what we currently have in midfield. The sad thing is, we all saw this coming. We all talked about needing a quality midfielder and winger. We got Dowell and Paterson who are probably worse than what we already had. Whoever scouts players for Derby needs to find a new job. Fail time and again, year after year, to buy anyone decent. The sooner Mel Sage and Steve Cross are fit the better as far as I am concerned. 

Completely agree. Recruitment this summer tastes of 2015. Thankfully, the deadwood we have immediately acquired is on loan and we get to hand the players back to the clubs that didn’t think they were good enough at the end of the season.

Hope we give a manager some time soon to make their own stamp on things.

Wing backs to provide much needed width and probably better quality than we get from Josefzoon, Lawrence, Bennett and (possibly) Paterson.

Roos 

Keogh

Davies

Clarke 

Bogle

Lowe

Bielik 

Knight

Holmes

Marriott 

Waghorn 

Subs: Hamer / Anya / Forsyth / Shinnie / Evans / Lawrence / Martin

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah. I didn't want to push it! But after watching him in last nights U23s he'd easily fit.

I heard he is doing OK and looking lean & fit. Not sure if Cocu has run the rule over Martin, but maybe, just maybe,  we could use his experience and hold up play ability at this point in time.  

4-4-2

Roos

Bogle Keogh Clarke Lowe

Holmes Knight Bielik Lawrence

Marriott

Martin (or Waggy)

===

Rooney to rotate with Holmes, Knight and Sibley for those two slots.

Lawrence to rotate with Paterson, FloJo and JML.

Others to come in if we can scrape the money together

If Cocu wants 4-3-3 to work, he has to go with the kind of side that achieves the most balance and requires little change from game to game.

One up front? Go for Chris Martin. Bring him back from the play pen, get him fit and feeling confident, and he's the best striker we have for the system Cocu wants to play.

I like Waghorn and Marriott but in this system, they are being shoehorned into the team and will continue to frustrate because they aren't suited to their roles.

Defensive midfielder? Put Bielik in the position he played in for the majority of last season and made a telling contribution.

Two more in midfield? Stick Holmes and Knight/Shinnie in there to give you some zip.

Wingers? You chose Lawrence and Jozefzoon at the start of the season for a reason. Stick with them until it's possible to bring in new players.

Roos

Bogle - Keogh - Clarke - Lowe

Bielik

Holmes - Knight

Jozefzoon - Martin - Lawrence

23 minutes ago, Cocu_Doodle_Do said:

Are we that desperate that we want to start Chris martin?  He hasn't been good for a while now.

In terms of players we have at the club, CM probably the most suitable striker  to suit a Cocu system. Better than square pegs in round holes. Just a thought....

I partly agree with Jourdon but your thinking of the Chris Martin from 3-4 years ago.

Still feel should be in and around the first team squad,  Hull mostly used him off the bench when he was on loan with them and he had an impact and scored the odd goal.  He's clearly still a fans favourite so with the crowd behind him I think he still might have a part to play.  Imagine if he scored, or created a goal then his confidence would be flying.

I actually think Evans could come into the side for away games - did well away at Huddersfield and alongside Bielik then it should form a great shield in front of a relatively young and inexperienced back four at Championship level (Keogh aside).  Plus it brings in Legs and a bit of bite which we are drastically missing - although been impressed with Knight.

Jozefzoon has had plenty of opportunities and sadly it doesn't seem to be happening for him so I'd be inclined to use Waggy up top with Lawrence in behind.

Interesting how on all threads with regard to team selection we all seem to be close to each other and neither Huddlestone or Dowell feature but have been regulars to date !

Cheers for now

Gangway D from the terrace

49 minutes ago, Cocu_Doodle_Do said:

Are we that desperate that we want to start Chris martin?  He hasn't been good for a while now.

Martin’s never been bad, it’s just that his skill set is so niche that you can’t really fit him into many conventional systems. 

He’s a #10 trapped in the body of a #9. 

If we can create conditions for him to succeed then he still will. 

Bogle - Keogh - Clarke - Lowe

Bielik

Holmes  -  Shinnie

Martin

Waghorn - Marriott

Martin played well in the 10 role in pre season and id try him there again. His passing range, his hold up play and his ability to bring others into play would all be useful attributes. The front 3 would all be able to swap positions if required.

Defense will be very solid with Bogle and Clark back in and Bielik as the holding midfielder. Holmes for a bit more creativity and Shinnie as the box to box and for a bit of extra strength in midfield. At the very least we will have a more mobile midfield with this setup.

None of the wingers we have are good enough, so width needs to be provided by the fullbacks. Ive lost patience with Lawrence, so he can spend a few weeks on the bench 

Archived