Starting 11

DCFC1388

A lot has been made of the starting 11 vs Forest and players being rested and then our first 11 churn out todays performance. So what would be everyones starting 11 when we have a fit team to choose from?

Mine would be 433, could also be 4231 :-

Roos - Bogle Keogh Clarke Lowe - Holmes Bielik Shinnie - Waghorn Marriott Lawrence

Imo that centre mid has a better balance to it, others may disagree. 

Can pick a pretty strong bench then from - Hamer Evans Davies Malone Huddlestone Dowell Knight Jozefzoon Paterson Bennett + Wisdom & Forsyth eventually

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

A lot has been made of the starting 11 vs Forest and players being rested and then our first 11 churn out todays performance. So what would be everyones starting 11 when we have a fit team to choose from?

Mine today would have been:

Holmes Keogh Clarke Lowe 

Beilik

Knight Shinnie

Waghorn Marriott Lawrence

4231 to give us a defensive foundation to build on:

Hamer

Bogle Keogh Clarke Lowe

Bielik Shinnie

Waghorn/Lawson Holmes/Lawrence as the 10   Paterson/Jozefoon

Marriott/Martin 

As long as Dowell and huddlestone don't play I will be happy. I would rather Holmes play than Lawrence, but as a 10 I think Lawrence could be better.

When everyone is fit........

Roos

bogle.    Keogh.   Bielik.   Buchanan                           

Mitch-lawson.   Holmes.   Knight.  Cocu

Waghorn.     Marriott

I think something like:

Roos

Bogle/Keogh/Clarke/Lowe

Bielik

Knight/Holmes

Waghorn/Marriott/Lawrence

Bench: Hamer, Davies, Malone, Shinnie, Paterson, Jozefzoon, Bennett

I don’t want to see Huddlestone or Dowell play again for a couple of weeks, not ready for that kind of trauma again.

56 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Mine would be 433, could also be 4231 :-

Roos - Bogle Keogh Clarke Lowe - Holmes Bielik Shinnie - Waghorn Marriott Lawrence

Imo that centre mid has a better balance to it, others may disagree. 

Can pick a pretty strong bench then from - Hamer Evans Davies Malone Huddlestone Dowell Knight Jozefzoon Paterson Bennett + Wisdom & Forsyth eventually

Still no width apart from Bogle. Massive problems out wide for me. 

It doesn't matter which 11 you pick. I can't find a good side. I can't see that bringing Shinnie is going to make Lawrence play well or Waghorn hold the ball up. Buchanan is out of his depth (needs to go out on loan). Whilst Holmes is a decent player he hasn't exactly been prolific so far.

I really hope I'm wrong but this is going to be a relegation struggle this year. We have far too many players that are simply not good enough who are in the first team - Lawrence, Roos, Waghorn, Huddlestone, Dowell, Buchanan (who may come good but not in this team), Malone

The squad needs a thorough overhaul and that's going to take some time. I'm not sure Cocu is up to it. WHen you get players having a go at the supporters you are on the wrong road, it is very difficult to turn things round and it is obvious there is unrest with the players. I can't see a playing style or direction he's going in. THese last 2 games have been a disaster - very worrying times for DCFC. 

4231 because I don't trust 1 DM to do the job properly.

Roos , Bogle/Lowe , Keogh, Clarke , Lowe/Malone , Bielik, Evans, Waghorn, Holmes, Paterson, Marriott. 

Martin and Shinnie would make the bench

Dowell and Huddlestone would make the tea.

No place for Lawrence until the EFL starts giving points for dribbles that are boring. 

I'd go so far as to say that I would make all 3 watch endless videos of Savage, Cywka and Paul Green so that each could learn a thing or two. 

Roos
          Keogh Bielik Clarke
Bogle                                Lowe
                   Shinnie   
     Holmes             Lawrence

Waghorn      Marriott    

Hamer, Davies, Malone, Dowell, Bennett, Zoon, Martin

Why the duck Martin isn't making the bench I will just never know! What has he done to previous managers here. He isn't the player he was but at least he's an experienced striker...we don't have any others until Rooney gets here.

Shinnie must be sat there thinking why the duck did I bother coming here. He CANNOT be any worse than what we have in the middle of the park.

We are so lightweight in midfield, it makes me question the decision to get rid of Johnno - at least he could play the position and gave us a bit of strength there.

What a gamble it was to send those experienced players away and hope for the best with kids who don't have 10 league games between them.

Midfield, midfield, midfield....I’m sick of banging on about it these days.

It took Lampard a significant amount of time to work out that midfield balance is of paramount importance in this division. It wasn’t until he got Johnson back in the side did we start to improve last year, this was aided further by the return of Mount afterwards.

My one worry about Cocu has been will he understand the tactical makeup of this division.

Sadly my fears are being realised........you can’t go to a Brentford team that keep possession well and have good  movement and expect to get anything other than your Harris handed back to you when you play a midfield containing Dowell and Hudds!

Now I understand he doesn’t want to bring Beilik into midfield yet........fine but you could still play Hudds, Shinnie and Knight, or you could alter the formation with a 5-3-2 allowing Beilik to step into midfield when needed without suffering as much defensively.

Time to get your midfield thinking cap on Mr Cocu!

Well what do all these formations actually mean ? 

Well for us 433 means 2 full backs to far up the pitch and 1 or 2 of the so called 3 up front totally not involved leaving 1 guy wondering why the ball never gets near him up front with a huge hole in midfield 

we need to be more solid especially without the ball whilst giving opponents something to worry about up front

currently the best we have probably means a solid and competitive 442 maybe like this 

Roos

bogle keogh Clarke Malone 

bennett Belick Shinnie Waghorn 

Martin Marriott 

sure we can mess around with the wide midfielders but we need real competitive players in there 

16 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Well what do all these formations actually mean ? 

Well for us 433 means 2 full backs to far up the pitch and 1 or 2 of the so called 3 up front totally not involved leaving 1 guy wondering why the ball never gets near him up front with a huge hole in midfield 

we need to be more solid especially without the ball whilst giving opponents something to worry about up front

currently the best we have probably means a solid and competitive 442 maybe like this 

Roos

bogle keogh Clarke Malone 

bennett Belick Shinnie Waghorn 

Martin Marriott 

sure we can mess around with the wide midfielders but we need real competitive players in there 

When everyone’s fit I’d be tempted to try

Roos/hamer 

Keogh    Wisdom   Clarke

Bogle      Beilik      Shinnie.    Lowe

Lawrence  Waghorn

Marriott

Never been overly keen on 3 at the back but think it could surprisingly suit the balance of the dogs dinner of a midfield we have and giving Bogle and Lowe more freedom to attack/add width.

Put Wisdom in instead of Davies to give that back three some pace (random I know).

more conventionally Id go for the diamond:

Roos/Hamer

Bogle   Keogh    Clarke.   Lowe 

Beilik

Knight          Shinnie    

Lawrence 

Waghorn      Marriott  

Oh and Rooney for Lawrence in Jan 

Archived