I would drive dowell back up to Everton myself!

DanS1992

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I would be happy to build a new stadium, rename the club, move it a few miles, tell all the players and forget to tell Dowell he is that bad.

In fact I'd probably leave Huddlestone off the email too.

Literally made me laugh out loud that mate 

comment of the day lol

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 27/08/2019 at 10:39, SouthStandDan said:

Similar situation to Wilson last season? The lad needs to be dropped but only for coaching purposes. Lampard took Wilson out for a number of games, he came roaring back with a point to prove. I see no reason why Dowell can't follow in the same manner.

Cocu ain’t a magician 

unless he’s going to copy Dowell skin into some sort of amazing synthetic body suit put Rooney in it on a pair of stilts and wheel him out a couple of months ahead of schedule 

Dowell isn’t the player we need.

Im sure he’s ok in the right team but we aren’t that team right now.

I wish we still had Bradley Johnson instead, for all his deficiencies I’m betting you we wouldn’t collapsed like a deck of cards with him in the midfield today, yes we might of still lost but at least he would have gone down fighting for the team!

5 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

I wish we still had Bradley Johnson instead, for all his deficiencies I’m betting you we wouldn’t collapsed like a deck of cards with him in the midfield today, yes we might of still lost but at least he would have gone down fighting for the team!

I can’t believe I’m agreeing with u 

i wasn’t a Bradley fan but even I would acknowledge exactly what uv just put and find myself looking fondly and slightly tearfully at my life size Bradley J topless poster 

oops did I say that out loud lol

4 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I can’t believe I’m agreeing with u 

i wasn’t a Bradley fan but even I would acknowledge exactly what uv just put and find myself looking fondly and slightly tearfully at my life size Bradley J topless poster 

oops did I say that out loud lol

In this division you need a Bradley Johnson type player in your midfield to do the dirty work that goes unnoticed by many!

17 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

In this division you need a Bradley Johnson type player in your midfield to do the dirty work that goes unnoticed by many!

Yes someone who can win the ball, but then actually take a decent touch and be able to pass consistently as well. He was awful on the ball in many games I think some people have short memories, he was part of some embarrassing defeats as well, we have had a few battering's in the last 2 seasons Johnson today may have been better than what we had out there but that's hardly saying much and we would have still been convincingly beaten any way. 

22 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Agree ... I just thought there was better in the division at doing the Bradley Johnson job 

I was brought up on a diet of Geriant Williams, Daryl Powell and Robbie van der laan for my defensive / destroying midfielders ...imo he wasn’t a patch on any of them 

but that’s old news and totally irrelevant now 

6 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Agree ... I just thought there was better in the division at doing the Bradley Johnson job 

I was brought up on a diet of Geriant Williams, Daryl Powell and Robbie van der laan for my defensive / destroying midfielders ...imo he wasn’t a patch on any of them 

but that’s old news and totally irrelevant now 

You missed the overlord of destruction Martin Kuhl off your list!

Yep there were better destructive midfielders in the division but he was the only one we had in our squad, so utilising him was a no brainer, fortunately Lampard finally came to the same conclusion!

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

You missed the overlord of destruction Martin Kuhl off your list!

Yep there were better destructive midfielders in the division but he was the only one we had in our squad, so utilising him was a no brainer, fortunately Lampard finally came to the same conclusion!

I wish we hadn’t spent the money we did on Malone and gone out and addressed the dmc issue 

2 hours ago, Ramarena said:

He was exactly what we needed today, funny how some gain more respect and admiration when out the team.

But there will be plenty tell you he couldn’t pass wind, yet alone a ball; which was a load of tosh but eh ponderous Huddlestone and lightweight Dowell have been given the chance. Let’s hope Bielik steps up, Shinnie gets a chance, maybe Holmes because he has some fight in him. We need people who win battles first, then we can think about the pretty stuff.

1 hour ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

We miss Bradley Johnson I’m afraid to say. Our upturn in form last season came when he replaced the immobile Huddlestone, coupled with Mount returning. Johnson had a very good end to the season. Huddlestone is too slow to play in midfield, especially in a two. 

Fair point but Johnson needed to prove his worth over the duration of a season. Maybe his performances fell just a bit short to meet that criteria?

15 minutes ago, europia said:

Fair point but Johnson needed to prove his worth over the duration of a season. Maybe his performances fell just a bit short to meet that criteria?

I would be happy if a member of our current midfield proved themselves over the duration of a game let alone a season. Bradley Johnson wasn’t perfect but is better than what we have now, namely Dowell, Huddlestone and Evans. We miss him. Personally I was kind of hoping that a professional club with a fair bit of resources behind it could find better than the lot of them but apparently not! 

1 hour ago, Zag zig said:

He was exactly what we needed today, funny how some gain more respect and admiration when out the team.

But there will be plenty tell you he couldn’t pass wind, yet alone a ball; which was a load of tosh but eh ponderous Huddlestone and lightweight Dowell have been given the chance. Let’s hope Bielik steps up, Shinnie gets a chance, maybe Holmes because he has some fight in him. We need people who win battles first, then we can think about the pretty stuff.

TBH I was calling for his inclusion last season it was obvious he was able to the dirty side of the game that no one else in the squad was able to do and that we were crying out for.

i didn’t mind him departing as long as he was replaced, which he hasn’t been really as Beilik isn’t a direct replacement. We needed Beilik AND a Johnson replacement 

im going against the grain here and will probably need my tin hat on afterwards , but after attending all games so far this season i feel a bit sorry for Dowell , i watched him closely yesterday and i feel hes stuck in the middle of doing 2 jobs , a bit like Keogh , hes the creative , attacking midfielder of the side but hes also trying to help out Hudd , who to me is struggling more and more , when Dowell is receiving the ball and looking to move it forward Waggy is stationary , and Marriott is covered by 2 defenders , so his only options are play the safe ball. sideways or back , or force the play and end up losing it , to me Dowells biggest crime is hes not Mason Mount , and as we are seeing at the moment we would have been very lucky to find another one like him

21 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

We miss Bradley Johnson I’m afraid to say. Our upturn in form last season came when he replaced the immobile Huddlestone, coupled with Mount returning. Johnson had a very good end to the season. Huddlestone is too slow to play in midfield, especially in a two. 

I didn't even rate Johnson but I agree with you. He was the exact sort of player we needed to improve on. He had all the battling qualities but was a poor passer and as with nearly all the signings since we lost to QPR he didn't improve us. 

But as the team has got worse since then instead of better then I'd say he's now an improvement. 

When you go from Hendrick, Hughes, Bryson, Thorne and Eustace to Johnson I think he looks like a head and kick donkey

When you go from Huddlestone and Dowell he looks like Kante

Just now, Alpha said:

I didn't even rate Johnson but I agree with you. He was the exact sort of player we needed to improve on. He had all the battling qualities but was a poor passer and as with nearly all the signings since we lost to QPR he didn't improve us. 

But as the team has got worse since then instead of better then I'd say he's now an improvement. 

When you go from Hendrick, Hughes, Bryson, Thorne and Eustace to Johnson I think he looks like a head and kick donkey

When you go from Huddlestone and Dowell he looks like Kante

The first thing I think when I look at the team now is “who is going to win the ball back in that midfield?”

Having a midfield without an obvious ball winner is fine if you can keep the ball. Having a front three who struggle to hold on to the ball is salvageable if you can win it back quickly.

Currently we have a loose front three and no one to win it back. It’s no wonder we look absolutely rubbish. We shouldn’t miss Johnson but we do because we haven’t replaced him. Really hoping Bielik is that man when he’s fit enough otherwise Shinnie or Evans have to play. 

I think anyone would struggle without a fully functioning midfield alongside them, in hoping that’s the case for Dowell.

Archived