I would drive dowell back up to Everton myself!

DanS1992

34 minutes ago, jono said:

And that’s it isn’t it. That old fashioned word balanced. Dowell has good ball skills but neither the strength nor aggression to use them unless there are players around him to do the dirty work. Hudds is a beautiful classic car, Dowell is a   Mini (we don’t know if it  is a cooper a cooper S or the economy model yet ) . 

Run those two in to battle together and they’re going to get ambushed by all those bad boys with noisy engines and go faster stripes. It wouldn’t surprise me if Dowell is on the pitch with Bierlik and Shinnie that we see a better player than what we have seen so far. In or out .. we need to do something different in the middle to get the balance right. 

Hudds is an wierd one, as you say a rolls Royce of a player when he’s on his game/the game suits him and I love watching him play when he’s pulling the strings.

However I’d probably let him go if an offer came in Jan as I can’t see how he fits in anymore. The system doesn’t seem to work for him and I don’t think this division suits him particularly.

Lovely player but surplus to requirements!

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The dynamic within the squad has changed.

last season we had numerous experienced leaders / role models for the younger players - huddz, bradders, bryson, keogh, nugent, and carson.

now we only really have huddz and keogh featuring in the first team. These two silverbacks play a valuable role in providing guidance to an increasing number of younger players. Roos, lowe, buchanan, bielik, knight, and dowell are all inexperienced players who need the older guidance of the older heads. Huddz can still move the ball to good effect and is probably more valuable to us this season than he was last season. I think cocu realised his potential value early on, and has tried to find a set up that suits both him and the rest of team. 

He played well v west brom, and the game was played at a higher tempo. We simply weren't handicapped by his lack ofpace and mobility as we have been in the past. 

14 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

...who missed a sitter and gave the ball away for one of West Ham's goals.

Nobody's perfect.

And, who knows, if Watford go down, he may become available.

Set up their goal too, clever clogs 

1 hour ago, Seaside Ram said:

We once had Will Hughes !! ?

Now that we spend £10m on players, it would great to make a bid next summer. ?

10 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Yeah true. And, BTW, I'm Will Hughes's biggest fan.

Though I've been frustrated by Dowell so far, I just think some of the criticism of him has been personal and/or OTT.

Way over the top. His biggest crime is not being Mason Mount. Just look at what Mount is already doing in the PL, he was far too good for this division, yet there were plenty criticising him at points last year...which is laughable.

if people’s expectation of Dowell is to replace and be as good as Mount, the lad has got no chance.

11 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Though I've been frustrated by Dowell so far, I just think some of the criticism of him has been personal and/or OTT.

Rashford and Pogba get racist abuse for missing penalties, for some reason there are a certain category of people who do not have the ability to understand that it's a game of football or maybe are quite happy to exploit the situation to further their disgusting beliefs.

14 hours ago, IslandExile said:

I'm enjoying your posts - always thoughtful and balanced: differing opinions, comments and perceptions are the food that makes a forum worthwhile and enjoyable but there are those who get something between their teeth and all logic and rational analysis disappears. 

You can see Dowell has skills but I get the feeling he needs the right coaching, guidance and encouragement to hone them. At the moment there is something missing. I don't know if its the man or how he is being lead / taught ?  I think he has now had his introductory period, there has been some criticism that, once the bile is filtered out, needs addressing. He does need to show something in the next 2 or 3 games or I fear he will be in the Butterfield "also ran" category. 

15 hours ago, IslandExile said:

...who missed a sitter and gave the ball away for one of West Ham's goals.

Nobody's perfect.

And, who knows, if Watford go down, he may become available.

And if we go up wouldn't it be a brilliant homecoming ! Bit of theatre to warm the heart. 

Seriously though he is the kind of true CM that would be very useful at the moment

24 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Hughesy! Hughesy! Hughesy!

old chinese proverb says : "He who speak with forked tongue, not need chopsticks."

I can't bring myself to watch that. I've been out in the garden all afternoon re-felting my shed roof. I've just re- felt some previous pain seeing that image. Please don't post anymore painful memories like that. The man is a class one knob jockey. 

On 25/08/2019 at 00:45, Rampage said:

Lesser team squads are above us in the league because

1. Made less mistakes than us

2. Took their chances better than us.

3. They have less players to choose from so their team is easier to pick and settle into a rhythm.

I don’t agree on number 3. 

We don’t have a fit right back, we have one fit first-team left back, virtually no recognised first-team central midfielders and until Marriott was fit enough, Waghorn picked himself.

9 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

Way over the top. His biggest crime is not being Mason Mount. Just look at what Mount is already doing in the PL, he was far too good for this division, yet there were plenty criticising him at points last year...which is laughable.

if people’s expectation of Dowell is to replace and be as good as Mount, the lad has got no chance.

Yes fair point. Dowell in danger of becoming this seasons target for the boo boys. 

10 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

Rubbish. He's not even as good as Mason Bennett. And when we see Sibley play...

28 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Rubbish. He's not even as good as Mason Bennett. And when we see Sibley play...

That is just totally wrong. 

Dowell is better than both of them. 

Plus Sibley has never played first team Football yet and needs to improve no end and watch his temperament.

Bennett is not a midfielder so how can you compare the two. 

Archived