The Matchday Announcer

ThePrisoner

Anybody else find it cringier than usual towards the end of last season? It seems to have continued into this one! 

I appreciate he's trying to drum up excitement and atmosphere within the ground but can it not be done in a more straightforward manner? Half the attempts result in mild embarrassment for me and those around!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Anybody else find it cringier than usual towards the end of last season? It seems to have continued into this one! 

I appreciate he's trying to drum up excitement and atmosphere within the ground but can it not be done in a more straightforward manner? Half the attempts result in mild embarrassment for me and those around!

Normally I don't mind too much but his attempts at getting a Roooooney chant going was so embarrassing especially as the ground was still half empty. 

Barely even notice him tbh, I'm good at blanking out things I don't want to hear. Also helps that I'm not in the stadium until 3 minutes before kick off so don't hear any of his rubbish when the stadium is quiet.

While we're on about people who could/should be sacked...

Whoever it was that decided the South Stand scoreboard clock should change from counting down to counting up! It wouldn't be quite so daft if it counted the full 90, but no, at half time it resets to zero.

Who needs to know that we're 27 minutes into the second half rather than 75 minutes into the match!?

Always wonder what away fans think. I know you shouldn’t care about others’ opinions. But in all my travels, I do get the feeling we have by the far the cringiest pre-match routine.

I genuinely believe it kills the atmosphere. I can’t hear the South Stand from the East Stand before kick off.

We’re not American soccer fans. Stop telling us to “make some noise.”

I’m trying my best to put this politely, but it is extremely frustrating to spend the money on travelling up from London to have your match experience so forcibly and loudly spoiled. 

Not just the announcer who’s annoying! I’m sure the prematch music was even louder than usual. First home game of  the season and wanting to catch up with the folks round me but the music was so loud you needed to shout to be heard. I was hoarse before the match started!

Agree with the sentiments here.

I am sure the matchday announcer has worked at the club for a while and is passionate about the club and he is obviously trying his best based upon the remit given to him.

But I am sure we can all agree less is more. Surely he must realise that the atmosphere will develop organically. The ground is practically empty until 5-10 minutes before kick off, let’s face it. He could clock in at 2:50pm, any earlier and his efforts are wasted.

The shrill nature of the sound system is what gets me the most. It’s so loud and drowns out everything. You can’t even think straight or have a conversation with the person next to you. When they play the highlights, Jack and Owen commentating to the point of orgasm is what it sounds like. My best friend and I were in our seats for five minutes before we turned to each other with a knowing look and a smirk as to say ‘Nothing’s changed.’

What I don’t understand is that the club seem so desperate to create any kind of atmosphere. The club should just leave it to the fans and let them use their own initiative. If they are worried that only one or two parts of the ground make a noise, don’t be. It’s the same everywhere. Even on the continent.

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

Always wonder what away fans think. I know you shouldn’t care about others’ opinions. But in all my travels, I do get the feeling we have by the far the cringiest pre-match routine.

I genuinely believe it kills the atmosphere. I can’t hear the South Stand from the East Stand before kick off.

We’re not American soccer fans. Stop telling us to “make some noise.”

I’m trying my best to put this politely, but it is extremely frustrating to spend the money on travelling up from London to have your match experience so forcibly and loudly spoiled. 

That bad?

The sound was so loud it was almost impossible to talk to anyone.

i would like to have said hello to Reg Harrison of the 1946 cup winning team but i saw he had a hearing aid and that any attempt to communicate was futile.

5 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

Was poo at Wembley too. We started a decibel behind Villa because of it. 

I agree with most of this..

music too loud 

the Rooney chant plea pretty pathetic

most of the exhortations to make some noise unnecessary

the announcement of ‘Super’ Tom Lawrence particularly embarrassing

Obviously the people employed to do this sort of thing are rank amateurs with no previous experience of public announcing .. I could do a much better and more professional job of both the MCing and the playing of suitable music, but have retired from such things .. however, it reflects very badly on the image of the club to have such an amateur setup ! 

Archived