The Matchday Announcer

ThePrisoner

I'm glad somebody mentioned the pre match at Wembley. Both clubs had their alloted time and I feel Derby got ours all wrong.

Villa started by getting their fans singing the allez song which had become their song of the season. We had Since I was young... Which was our song of the season with Mac 1. This time Lampard at the wheel had been the song of the moment.

Villa's video package had 'Hi Ho Silver Lining' playing over it so they all sing along, our video package of the goals was nice but it had 'When 2 tribes go to war' playing.. So.. Silence from Derby fans. Pretty sure they had Sweet Caroline... Everybody singing, we have the Derby poem pretty much silence from Derby fans. During the poem you could hear the Villa fans singing away over it. 

I know everybody is different and wants different match day experience but it's Wembley, a massive match. Get the fans singing together. For me he should've started the bounce, the video package should've had Steve Bloomer over it or ideally something better, anything that the fans will sing too, Seven nation army, Chelsea dagger anything, but not Frankie goes to Hollywood.

I hadnt realised how much I needed to get that off my chest. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At Napoli, they have a local DJ who goes by the name of Decibel Bellini - so it’s someone who is experienced in that field and used to working a crowd.

He has become quite famous for his passionate style. He keeps it very simple - he comes on, announces the teams before kick off, and then announces the goal scorer.

He shows that you really don’t have to overcomplicate it. But he also understands his audience - the Napoli fans obviously like his style so he gets great feedback.

With ours, he does the same thing week in week out and the response is lukewarm. So why not try something different?

Sith Happens

Whos next to moan about? What about harold the steward in the north stand?

Duck me, he does my head in, because of something or other.

18 minutes ago, NewquayRam said:

I'm glad somebody mentioned the pre match at Wembley. Both clubs had their alloted time and I feel Derby got ours all wrong.

Villa started by getting their fans singing the allez song which had become their song of the season. We had Since I was young... Which was our song of the season with Mac 1. This time Lampard at the wheel had been the song of the moment.

Villa's video package had 'Hi Ho Silver Lining' playing over it so they all sing along, our video package of the goals was nice but it had 'When 2 tribes go to war' playing.. So.. Silence from Derby fans. Pretty sure they had Sweet Caroline... Everybody singing, we have the Derby poem pretty much silence from Derby fans. During the poem you could hear the Villa fans singing away over it. 

I know everybody is different and wants different match day experience but it's Wembley, a massive match. Get the fans singing together. For me he should've started the bounce, the video package should've had Steve Bloomer over it or ideally something better, anything that the fans will sing too, Seven nation army, Chelsea dagger anything, but not Frankie goes to Hollywood.

I hadnt realised how much I needed to get that off my chest. 

Anything but Chelsea Dagger.

It is - or at least was - the goal music at Forest.

So anyone who has been in the away end will make that connection immediately, and probably get PTSD flashbacks. ?

I’ve said this for a while.  It doesn’t particularly effect my enjoyment of the match, but it would be nice to be able to have a conversation with the person sitting next to me without shouting.  

The music is far too loud and would kill any attempt by any part of the ground to generate any atmosphere.

Derbians aren’t particularly demonstrative and so having somebody try to whip us up into a frenzy is rarely going to work.  Let the crowd look after itself. 

Bin the poem.  Far too long, you can’t join in with it, it doesn’t inspire or get people going.

But, more than anything, just turn the music down so that people can hear themselves think (and cheer!)

The poem is utterly awful... Who on earth thought a poem at a football match in the 21st century is a good idea I don't know. 

I am not sure the comments on this post are in line with a full cross section of fans or the target of any football club. Where possible they dont want to upset the older loyal fans but generally they are targeting a younger audience.

Not saying they are doing a good job of that more that but they are clearly experimenting with things to appeal to a younger age not those 40+. 

I'm not sure it being too loud is a major issue to a younger age group either. They'll just speak louder over it which will, even if it's unrelated to the match or chanting, start to build an atmosphere of noise (a bit like in a music concert before the lights drop, alot of noise but nothing coordinated). Theres plenty of quieter places to have a natter outside the ground if you want that in quieter tones. 

I do agree we need something original though that will be adopted by the club. It doesn't even have to be particularly significant, Rotherham with a relatively new ground and not particularly loud or large fans adopted the new York name to the stadium recently and then the song (but preferably something released in this millennium rather than regurgitating the same songs been played out across football). Not even that fussed about lyrics either... One of the best atmospheres in a pride Park in the last few years was the Sam winnall chant with literally no lyrics except a players name. But it wasnt slow and depressing and created a real energetic environment not something really lethargic. Got people up and jumping around and enjoying it. 

6 minutes ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

Really? You saying you like the poem or that it builds any kind of atmosphere....

I'm not saying its not unique, throwing manure at fans is unique and original... Doesn't mean its a good idea.. 

Not even saying its not a well written poem... Just not the right place for it

The poem is pretty much well received by most. It's full of pride and history of our city and club. It does more for me than Steve Bloomer's Watching ever did/does. 

If you want atmosphere, you have to build it yourself. The club can't do that for you. That's down to the fans.

1 hour ago, ThePrisoner said:

The poem is utterly awful... Who on earth thought a poem at a football match in the 21st century is a good idea I don't know. 

I do agree we need something original though that will be adopted by the club.

When they play it with the video and the music it's kind of just in the background so it's alright. Don't like it when it's blaring out the speakers on its own as it just sounds naf. Some like it as it gives you goosebumps and builds you up for the game, in that respect I like it but some don't. Each to their own I guess.

3 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

When they play it with the video and the music it's kind of just in the background so it's alright. Don't like it when it's blaring out the speakers on its own as it just sounds naf. Some like it as it gives you goosebumps and builds you up for the game, in that respect I like it but some don't. Each to their own I guess.

Why have you quoted me with something I haven't said?

I'm all for the poem myself... particularly for the bigger occasion.

I missed the first airing, and wondered what all the fuss was about, and as a latecomer to games (not usually entering the stand until the players come out), I think I missed the replay, but I did eventually get to hear it at PPS, and again at Wembley... the latter most definitely brought out the goosebumps.  Made me stand a little taller, and sing a little louder!

There's a lot to be said for local pride!

I don't think today's footy fans are too unrefined to appreciate a little poetry, if that is what is being hinted at... Why, I'd even accept a little classical music, if it was loud, emotional and stirring enough... and I'm certainly no classical fan!

Well I like the poem.  I like it so much that I bought a copy of it and it hangs on my wall.  I like it because it reminds me every time I hear it of how special my home town is, how deep our history is, how special our football history is and I like it because no one else does it. It is, in footballing terms, unique, and even though I haven't lived in Derby for over 40 years now it reinforces in me the strong feelings I have for the club, the town and the county. It always moves me emotionally.

The typical PP audience ranges from 4 to 94. You're never going to satisfy that range of people.  I'd quite like the team to run out in unsponsored white jerseys, with the captain holding the match ball and none of the prematch fake handshaking nonsense. I'd like more music by the Beatles and Beach Boys and stuff that I've actually heard of and listen and sing along to, but it ain't going to happen. The prematch build up is here to stay and for what it's worth I think our guy doesn't do a bad job. He probably doesn't get to organise the whole thing anyway.

They could quieten it down a bit, they could find better ways of building the atmosphere to more of a crescendo instead of building it and then letting it go flat again, but they appear to be taking the line that familiarity is all and therefore we have to have the same things in the same order each and every match.  Perhaps they should try some different things (or not doing things) and see if anything catches on.

Archived