The Matchday Announcer

ThePrisoner

11 minutes ago, angieram said:

Haha. The song has truly inspirational lyrics about some drunk jealous guy. He's probably lost his bird because he's too ducking drunk to pay her proper attention.  

And this is meant to get the crowd and players up for a game of football? 

Bedsit music at very best! 

better than delilah though

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I appreciate we’re of different ages, but it’s iconic amongst my generation for being the song that absolutely everybody knows the lyrics to. It’s belted out on dancefloors at many a club. 

You’re right, the entrance song is absolutely horrific. I think people are getting far too wound up by the pre-match fare to be honest, but I do cringe every time I hear that siren thing as the players walk out of the tunnel.

Suddenly I don’t feel so old.

When I think of Mr Brightside, it takes me back to my student days.

It’s the perfect song for when you’re in one of those dive clubs where they have various album covers printed on the walls from bands like the Smashing Pumpkins and you want to get close to a bird with striking eyes, blue hair and a nose ring who you suspect will be explosive behind closed doors.

Your face doesn’t really fit for the most part despite your terribly ambiguous printed tee and well worn pair of pumps. But then that song comes on, you’re singing along, you have your arms around each other, you’re bouncing, you’re ten Jagerbombs down, you’re feeling positive...and then she cops off with your housemate.

But at the football? No, god no.

20 minutes ago, angieram said:

In that case it doesn't matter what trendy crap they put out, does it? 

As I said previously everyone sings to the opposition music at away games because they are songs the majority know. Same at T20. 

I’d suggest that the same applies to older music. I don’t really care about what is played pre-match, aside from the crap entrance music that needs to go. Maybe Sweet Caroline or something would get the fans going, but it’s not exactly unique to us.

At the end of the day, it’s only the South Stand that might get something going, and they only usually emerge 5 minutes before kick off.

I think a lot of this thread is wishful thinking tbh, as disappointing as that is. I’d love the ground to be rocking pre-match, regardless of whether it’s to Mr Brightside or Mrs flipping Robinson.

40 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I’d suggest that the same applies to older music. I don’t really care about what is played pre-match, aside from the crap entrance music that needs to go. Maybe Sweet Caroline or something would get the fans going, but it’s not exactly unique to us.

At the end of the day, it’s only the South Stand that might get something going, and they only usually emerge 5 minutes before kick off.

I think a lot of this thread is wishful thinking tbh, as disappointing as that is. I’d love the ground to be rocking pre-match, regardless of whether it’s to Mr Brightside or Mrs flipping Robinson.

this. 

Anybody going to Wembley will have seen that we are primarily a family club  and not much is good enough to stir emotions.   Most, I fear, believe the team is privileged to play for them.   I don't think it was always that way  but I did start going when we were very good indeed and emotions did not need to be stirred by music and announcements

M

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

Yesterday was certainly an improvement - though I cringed at the 'Waggy' Waghorn introiduction.....

When I heard that !!! If I wasn’t so high up and unfit I’d have been on the pitch and shoved that mircophone right up his.....

Waggy Waghorn FFS 

5 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

No idea. I can’t really think of a time when people have sung along to a pre-match song though. Even Steve Bloomer’s Watching is only clapped along to.

Go wash your mouth out, sunshine!

Admittedly I haven't joined in much recently, since it was changed to earlier, as I don't get in until around the time the players are walking out of the tunnel.

But when it's last thing before kick off, like it used to be, and was last night, I'm right on it... Pavarotti stylee!  

Just now, Mucker1884 said:

Go wash your mouth out, sunshine!

Admittedly I haven't joined in much recently, since it was changed to earlier, as I don't get in until around the time the players are walking out of the tunnel.

But when it's last thing before kick off, like it used to be, and was last night, I'm right on it... Pavarotti stylee!  

It was much later last night. 

11 minutes ago, angieram said:

It was much later last night. 

That's what I said, diddle I?  :-)

12 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

...But when it's last thing before kick off, like it used to be, and was last night, I'm right on it... Pavarotti stylee!  

7 hours ago, angieram said:

Haha. The song has truly inspirational lyrics about some drunk jealous guy. He's probably lost his bird because he's too ducking drunk to pay her proper attention.  

And this is meant to get the crowd and players up for a game of football? 

Bedsit music at very best! 

Are you sure you've understood the lyrics properly?

Why would Norman Whiteside be drunk and jealous?

Archived