Martyn Waghorn on depression whilst at Rangers

Animal is a Ram

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/08/09/martyn-waghorn-hopes-inspire-depression-sufferers-mind-completely/

Good read this, and while he doesn't reference fans as one of the contributors to his depression, it certainly speaks to me that we have some slight duty of care to make sure we show our players the backing they need.

Top man and our most underrated player. 

Good article.

"was receiving passes and my mind was going blank." - an insight than can act as a very apt euphemism for the last decade of my life. Caught me off guard reading it.

Can't wait to see him playing alongside Wayne. He deserves it.

48 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/08/09/martyn-waghorn-hopes-inspire-depression-sufferers-mind-completely/

Good read this, and while he doesn't reference fans as one of the contributors to his depression, it certainly speaks to me that we have some slight duty of care to make sure we show our players the backing they need.

Great insight into Waggy’s personality. Love his Rooney anecdote.... I really want Waggy to do well this year. He deserves it. 

Waggy always strikes me as one of the most outgoing, cheerful, and playful members of the squad.  Whilst that isn't necessarily untrue, this article goes to show just how easy it is for there to be things going on behind the scenes.

Massive amounts of respect for him.  I hope he has found a way to manage it and is doing a lot better.

Good article and it's great that Waghorn's had the strength to talk about his depression. I hope he has a great season. He certainly has the knack of getting himself into the right place at the right time. He was unlucky not to score twice on Monday night.

I reckon he'll get off the mark tomorrow afternoon.

11 minutes ago, MK-Ram said:

Waggy always strikes me as one of the most outgoing, cheerful, and playful members of the squad.  Whilst that isn't necessarily untrue, this article goes to show just how easy it is for there to be things going on behind the scenes.

Massive amounts of respect for him.  I hope he has found a way to manage it and is doing a lot better.

Sometimes it is the cheeky jokey fun to be around people who have the worst demons.

A well written article and one that definitely hits close to home for me. I have been diagnosed with severe depression and it has put a strain on my personal and professional life; I still suffer even now where I will have my moments of euphoria then prolonged bouts of depressive downswings that can last days and even weeks. It is amazing that players are speaking up about depression. Depression can affect anyone in any walk of life; even successful and wealthy people like Clarke Carlisle, Gary Speed and our very own Waggers are not prone to fragility of the human mind. It is very hard for people to understand how depression can affect someone and how the old "man up" response back can further debilitate a depression sufferers mind.

1 minute ago, SouthStandDan said:

The most seemingly outgoing, funny type folks tend to be the most deeply hit with mental health issues. This art of Robin Williams stuck with me for a long time.

robin-williams.jpg

That's a bit haunting, Dan

3 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Sometimes it is the cheeky jokey fun to be around people who have the worst demons.

Unfortunately very true. One of my closest friends at school was one of the funniest, outgoing guys you could meet, you wouldn’t for one second have thought a thing was wrong. Sadly in his 20s he lost his battle with depression - always good to hear when people come out and talk about it to encourage others to seek help. 

As people have said on here. This speaks volumes to myself. Since leaving the Army I have suffered with depression and anxiety which has been a psychological barrier to coming to pride park. Finally after 4 years I am returning thanks to help from the the football club staff and I’ve never been so excited, yet nervous for how I’ll deal with the day. 

All the best to Waggy and all posters on here 

1 hour ago, EraniosSocks said:

As people have said on here. This speaks volumes to myself. Since leaving the Army I have suffered with depression and anxiety which has been a psychological barrier to coming to pride park. Finally after 4 years I am returning thanks to help from the the football club staff and I’ve never been so excited, yet nervous for how I’ll deal with the day. 

All the best to Waggy and all posters on here 

Good luck with your season mate.

hope you’re rewarded with some great matches for winning your personal battles.

?

Archived