Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
David

v Swansea City (H) Match Thread

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, LazloW said:

Just picking up the last couple of minutes of commentary and, while it has been a frustrating game, I have seen so much worse.  When considering it is a new manager’s second game, against a team who came to spoil then I think you shrug your shoulders and move on. Still some positives in there.

However, listening to RD you’d think it had been one of the worst performances ever. Completely different game to what I have seen.  They are shocking.  

I am 200 miles away and would love to listen live but I just cant. Its either moan moan moan or else they make it sound like the opposition are just about to score every time they attack.. I just refresh latest scores and only tune in if we are winning. If we are losing or drawing Radio Derby are dreadful.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, dcfcreece1601 said:

Because there won't be enough goals accumulated,  as someone said we will be in a hell of a lot of 0-0 / 1-0 games this year , if you look at probably the top 5 teams that you would think are close to promotion you'll notice they all have star quality somewhere,  mitrovic and knockheart at fulham , leeds with Hernandez and helder costa,  then you look at us and I bet we don't have the strongest player in any given position , and sometimes that is the difference in this league , we miss having an ince or vydra type player 

How about a Rooney for the second half of the season?

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Because there won't be enough goals accumulated,  as someone said we will be in a hell of a lot of 0-0 / 1-0 games this year , if you look at probably the top 5 teams that you would think are close to promotion you'll notice they all have star quality somewhere,  mitrovic and knockheart at fulham , leeds with Hernandez and helder costa,  then you look at us and I bet we don't have the strongest player in any given position , and sometimes that is the difference in this league , we miss having an ince or vydra type player 

Absolute poppycock it's a team game and the team can be greater than the sum of the parts.

Look at Sheffield United last season they didn't have a star player as you allude to but still managed to go up automatically.

How many teams this season are going to have a 20 plus goal player, as you quite rightly said we had one in Vydra but we still didn't get promoted despite that 

Share this post


Link to post

ok start, but we fizzled out and swansea grew in confidence. We had a few chances to win but in truth we didn't really deserve to once we'd missed the pen.

Pleased to see cocu brave enough to change it at half time. Their six defensive players were outnumbering our four attacking players. Evans' passing deteriorated as the half progressed and was the correct player to sub. another attacking player should have helped but Paterson was a bit lightweight and peripheral. The positive was that we had plenty of possession. Maybe bennett would have achieved more. 

max lowe did well. Looked assured. clarke looked nervy. 

It was a bit like a first night where a few of the cast fluff their lines, but at least we kept a clean sheet. Overall it seemed to support my perception that we're a bit lacking in midfield and may be short of goals, but its really too early to conclude anything.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Absolute poppycock it's a team game and the team can be greater than the sum of the parts.

Look at Sheffield United last season they didn't have a star player as you allude to but still managed to go up automatically.

How many teams this season are going to have a 20 plus goal player, as you quite rightly said we had one in Vydra but we still didn't get promoted despite that 

Well billy sharpe got twenty odd goals. That’s pretty helpful. And a star in my book. 

Share this post


Link to post

Sheff utd had billy sharp who scored 24 goals last year that's about as star as it gets pal , yes it's a team game but the odd player all having 2 goals each is nowhere near as effective as one out and out goal score , I bet all of our attackers combined will only be marginally better than sharps tally on his own for example 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Average today, lack of creativity, clean sheets, 4 points from 2 games all been said and probably right. 

What surpised me little a bit with the substitutions was not so much the personel or the timing but the resulting positions/system on the pitch. When I saw Paterson coming on for Evans at half time I thought good we are going for it and need to as well. It then looked like  Paterson a winger was positioned more centrally and Tom Lawrence stayed out wide wheareas he can be very effective centrally.  When Zoon came off, Waghorn straight away went out wide whereas in pre season Cocu seem to play a system with Marriott playing just behind Waghorn, but again Paterson stayed in his central forward position to the end. I don't know enough about Paterson and he may be able to play to or has played both positions  but I was under the impression he was brought in  because he is a tricky wide player.

Just a thought, and all being said 4 points from those 2 games, happy with that.

 

Edited by EtoileSportiveDeDerby

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, RIMBAUD said:

Well billy sharpe got twenty odd goals. That’s pretty helpful. And a star in my book. 

So you're saying we are doomed to failure already as we don't have a twenty plus goal player in our team. Which was the original point.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, dcfcreece1601 said:

Sheff utd had billy sharp who scored 24 goals last year that's about as star as it gets pal , yes it's a team game but the odd player all having 2 goals each is nowhere near as effective as one out and out goal score , I bet all of our attackers combined will only be marginally better than sharps tally on his own for example 

Might as well tell Cocu to withdraw us from the league this season then

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, The Orange Pimpernel said:

I am 200 miles away and would love to listen live but I just cant. Its either moan moan moan or else they make it sound like the opposition are just about to score every time they attack.. I just refresh latest scores and only tune in if we are winning. If we are losing or drawing Radio Derby are dreadful.

Same here. I have to work some Saturdays and Radio Derby would be ideal but Dawes and Ramage (especially Ramage) are a complete drain.

I've said it loads of times on here. I used to watch The Full 90 back after going to the games and they are so far off the mark. They don't even give a fair balance to the feeling of the game at the time you were there. 

I've heard them described as passionate and realistic on rare occasions and I challenge anyone to listen to them and watch the game. What you hear and what you see will be nothing alike. 

Passionate? Passionate is not moaning every two fecking minutes to show how much you care. You can care and yet still not act like those two clowns. 

I can put up with some crap commentary too. But those two? No way. Never again. 

Share this post


Link to post

Literally coming down the weeks for Rooney to arrive. Maybe my expectations are high, but he’d have  run the show today 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

Might as well tell Cocu to withdraw us from the league this season then

You're being very small minded , my original point if you go back and read it with your two eyes was that in can be the difference at the end of the season having star quality , " CAN BE " not that it will be 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

You're being very small minded , my original point if you go back and read it with your two eyes was that in can be the difference at the end of the season having star quality , " CAN BE " not that it will be 

I know where I'm going wrong now. Thanks for that 😊

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

So you're saying we are doomed to failure already as we don't have a twenty plus goal player in our team. Which was the original point.

Not sure I said that or even suggested it. I was simply trying to work out what you consider a star player. 

Share this post


Link to post

Am I reading this right? We don't have a player that will score is enough goals? 

That's it then. Waghorn and Marriott for sale and let's start looking forward to next August. 

I mean 2 games in (we have lost neither and only 2 teams out of 24 have 6 points) but it's not looking good is it. We've got players that simply aren't good enough and won't score goals and.... come on, let the picture form before you decide whether you like the look of it. 

Divas

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

 My nan takes a better set piece than Dowell btw.

Not sure why he was taking everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Malone was ducking terrible 

his use of the ball was embarrassing Today 

poor decision making in the final third and Waggy had an off day 

Wasn’t over enamoured with Lawrence, Dowell or pattison, flashes from Dowell but seemed to be on the periphery (which was the impression I had of him pre coming here).

keogh and Clark looked excellent and I thought hudds knitted things together nicely

point and a clean sheet ... we move on 

I also had Huddlestone down as played well today . Didn't waste a pass and only one really affecting things going forward .  Needs more pace around him though . Dowell is neat and tidy but could be blown over .  Malone dead right  . Lawrence played ok for twenty minutes , then anonymous  Keogh needs to stop demanding the ball 5 yards from his own goalline then passing it sideways - must have wasted half an hour doing this .  Clark had a good game bar a minor calamity he recovered in the last 10 minutes.   Rather frustrating - need a bit more movement with purpose and aggression based on this .

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Am I reading this right? We don't have a player that will score is enough goals? 

That's it then. Waghorn and Marriott for sale and let's start looking forward to next August. 

I mean 2 games in (we have lost neither and only 2 teams out of 24 have 6 points) but it's not looking good is it. We've got players that simply aren't good enough and won't score goals and.... come on, let the picture form before you decide whether you like the look of it. 

Divas

Apparently so @dcfcreece1601

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Am I reading this right? We don't have a player that will score is enough goals? 

That's it then. Waghorn and Marriott for sale and let's start looking forward to next August. 

I mean 2 games in (we have lost neither and only 2 teams out of 24 have 6 points) but it's not looking good is it. We've got players that simply aren't good enough and won't score goals and.... come on, let the picture form before you decide whether you like the look of it. 

Divas

Signs of encouragement but I do think goals will be an issue, But expect defence to look better this season than last season. So hopefully it balances out and we still get top 6

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Sheff utd had billy sharp who scored 24 goals last year that's about as star as it gets pal , yes it's a team game but the odd player all having 2 goals each is nowhere near as effective as one out and out goal score , I bet all of our attackers combined will only be marginally better than sharps tally on his own for example 

Marriott will get 25 goals given game time and the right service .

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.