v Swansea City (H) Match Thread

David

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

I thought the crowd (with the exception of a few Ill-informed ********* near me) were very good today.

However, I thought 27,000 for a first home fixture under a new manager was disappointing.

From the number of empty seats I was surprised that there were 27000. I assume that season ticket holders get counted whether they attend or not (holidays etc). If that's the case, that number may suggest a fair few folks paid perhaps and that a fair few of the empty seats were season ticket holders.

maybe not

I’m not entirely sure why everyone is down about the performance yesterday, personally I thought we played well and it just wasn’t our day in front of goal. It happens. 

I thought we had good control of the ball, good outlets when playing out from the back and got into good positions quite comfortably and quickly. Defensively, I didn’t feel like we were ever troubled. It’s a very good foundation for pushing on. 

11 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

I haven't seen anything from Cocu saying Paterson wasn't our First choice, in his interview he stated that he had known for a while he was coming but it took until the last day of the window to get him in, that doesn't mean to say he still wasn't Cocu's  First choice. He may well have been far down the list of wingers fans would have like to have seen brought in

I'm only going by the reports in the media saying we had to go a fair way down our list before we could secure anyone.

6 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I’m not entirely sure why everyone is down about the performance yesterday, personally I thought we played well and it just wasn’t our day in front of goal. It happens. 

I thought we had good control of the ball, good outlets when playing out from the back and got into good positions quite comfortably and quickly. Defensively, I didn’t feel like we were ever troubled. It’s a very good foundation for pushing on. 

It wasn't dire but that was hardly playing well, on the ball we were ponderous and slow,  fullbacks were our only outlet and that is not a viable strategy for creating chances when you have Malone left back and not someone like Alba or Marcelo. Wingers were very ineffective, transition play very poor and predictable huddlestone and Dowell needed to show for the ball more and the whole shape of the midfield was completely off. Defensively we were OK but should have conceded if not for very poor finishing from their sub striker. 

On the poor attendance, a few people around me said it was becuase the ticket prices are too expensive, and for the full adult price ( which I don't pay) it is too expensive for championship football, the level of entertainment and quality just isn't there for that sort of price especially in some of the more expensive seats.  I think ticket prices should be about 10-15% cheaper and then you would get more big crowds , then come January with Rooney signing we could always slightly increase the prices back to what they are now.

12 hours ago, LE_Ram said:

Nice to see the collective wrist-slashing has started early this season ?

We've just beaten Huddersfield away and were unlucky to come away with just a draw today, only one team looked like winning. Thought we played some good stuff and just didn't have that clinical finish. Waggers unlucky with the pen, but it happens, it's football.

We'll be ok, the team needs a bit more time to gel and adapt to Cocu's tactics. Besides, we have one more point at this stage of the season than last season - where we'd scraped a win at Reading and been trounced by Leeds, but went on to go to Wembley...

Season isn't won or lost in August - we're not gumps

I couldn't agree more,against Huddersfield we played as a complete unit so no reason for Cocu to make any changes to the team yesterday,however the cohesion in the team seemed to be missing yesterday. We are still in that transition period, Cocu will evaluate everything from yesterday and will probably start with a different Eleven in the next league match. I am not saying any player played particularly bad but Cocu may think another player is understanding the tactics he wants to use better than a player from the starting Eleven yesterday. Certainly don't think we are a bad team and we have the players on board who will play to what Cocu is aiming for 

46 minutes ago, Ramos said:

I feel once bielik comes in and Holmes for Evans and Paterson for joz, we will look a different team going forward. 

Cant bank on holmes playing 30-40 games a season, the lad is injury prone. More of a bonus luxury player to me

22 minutes ago, GenBr said:

I'm only going by the reports in the media saying we had to go a fair way down our list before we could secure anyone.

If you took notice of the reports in the media you would have thought we had been going after every Tom, Dick and Harry, they speculate as much as much as we do on here.If they didn't speculate ( to keep their name in the papers,social media etc) they would be out of a job, mind you they could become a match reporter for RD The only time i believe anything is when it's an official press release on the clubs website.

That's just the way i see it, nothing to get excited about until an official release, i know others probably wont. 

24 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Yes we were defensively sound. But everywhere else we were very pedestrian. Pedestrian is the word. Slow ponderous and very reminiscent of the Paul Clement days. In sharp contrast to Monday night against Huddersfield where we were sharp and incisive. We don’t have the balance right in midfield. We need a player who has vision and drive and who can inject some pace and hunger. We need Holmes back and hopefully Bielik will give us that cutting edge.

Swansea are a good side who will be top 8 but we made it way too comfortable for them. They cantered to a 0-0 and hardly broke sweat. It was a dull forgettable game and it says a lot when your 18 year old full-back carried your most attacking threat. 

I suspect Cocu will be desperate for Bielik to get fit. Personally I would have thrown a wild card in yesterday and I can’t see Why Josefzoon is getting such a long run of chances. For me, he just doesn’t have the requisite football brain for Championship football. 

Not a disaster but we looked leaden legged against an average-good opponent. 

16 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

On the poor attendance, a few people around me said it was becuase the ticket prices are too expensive, and for the full adult price ( which I don't pay) it is too expensive for championship football, the level of entertainment and quality just isn't there for that sort of price especially in some of the more expensive seats.  I think ticket prices should be about 10-15% cheaper and then you would get more big crowds , then come January with Rooney signing we could always slightly increase the prices back to what they are now.

Yes but if the club starts making the ticket prices cheaper then this will erode the differential between buying a casual ticket on the day and the ticket price averaged out over the course of the season for a season ticket holder.

Whether you like it or not Morris isn't a total philanthropist and the club needs to generate sufficient revenue to cover running costs.

You'll be complaining next that the transfers spending and wages bill wasn't enough this summer which is all linked to gate receipts too, can't have it all ways up.

4 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Yes but if the club starts making the ticket prices cheaper then this will erode the differential between buying a casual ticket on the day and the ticket price averaged out over the course of the season for a season ticket holder.

Whether you like it or not Morris isn't a total philanthropist and the club needs to generate sufficient revenue to cover running costs.

You'll be complaining next that the transfers spending and wages bill wasn't enough this summer which is all linked to gate receipts too, can't have it all ways up.

As far as I'm aware we are in a good financial position and spending restraints only really come from FFP , a small decrease in ticket revenue would be a worthy price to pay for full houses and better atmosphere which could help drive the team on.

4 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

As far as I'm aware we are in a good financial position and spending restraints only really come from FFP , a small decrease in ticket revenue would be a worthy price to pay for full houses and better atmosphere which could help drive the team on.

I don't think that that there will be a direct correlation between the % reduction in the matchday ticket price and the realised % increase in attendance, more a law of diminishing returns.

You may get a few more casual floaters in but not enough to offset the drop in revenue from lowering the ticket prices 

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I don't think that that there will be a direct correlation between the % reduction in the matchday ticket price and the realised % increase in attendance, more a law of diminishing returns.

You may get a few more casual floaters in but not enough to offset the drop in revenue from lowering the ticket prices 

I can only speak for myself. 

I gave up on my season ticket after the last Rowett season. 

My seat for the WBA game, which is live on tv, is £38 plus £1 booking fee. Thats not the most expensive ticket on sale either. 

At those prices, Ill watch it on tv. 

At say £25, Id go and buy 3 beers. 

Interestingly, for a similar ticket at Forest v WBA, also on tv, the price was £29. 

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I thought the crowd (with the exception of a few Ill-informed ********* near me) were very good today.

However, I thought 27,000 for a first home fixture under a new manager was disappointing.

Holiday season always has an impact on early season games.

Archived