v Swansea City (H) Match Thread

David

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope we can get back to back wins, would be a great start to the season. Really excited to see the Rams back to PP should be a great day and if we play how we know we can we should be hopeful for another 3 points. Has to be said though the first 6 games of a season can throw out some right shocking score lines (Leeds 4-1) so we need to be at our best again.

As usual a difficult game to call, as is every game in this league in the main. But at home, this is really a game, given our tough start, that we need to be looking at getting a calm and efficient win in if we can... maybe for once without giving us all a panic attack in the last few minutes?? Team for me:

Roos

Bogle Keogh Clarke Malone

Evans

Shinnie Dowell

Bennett Waghorn Lawrence

This is assuming everyone who’s out injured isn’t back, and that bielik is still not ready yet. At home we shouldn’t need both Huddlestone and Evans as it’d send out the wrong message, so shinnie comes in for one of them- Evans was better against Huddersfield so keeps his place. Josefzoon was poor so loses out to Bennett for me, who has a bit more strength.

This early in the season it’s hard to tell how Swansea will play with a manager who we’ve not seen as this level before. No doubt they’ll be a strong team we’ll need to be at our best to beat though, as with most teams in this league.

12 minutes ago, taffyram said:

Would love for us to absolutely hammer Swansea so I can wind up the jacks at work

My Jack friend is very confident about this season. Said they'd been impressive in preseason. Don't think it'll be an easy game by any means, but last night has recovered a lot of confidence. We were pretty rubbish at Ibrox (I know , it was a friendly but just seemed underwhelming)

1 hour ago, taffyram said:

Would love for us to absolutely hammer Swansea so I can wind up the jacks at work

They seemed more bothered about Leeds beating us in the playoffs than supporting Swansea at the game last season, some proper heads giving it the Leeds salute next to the away fans,

I'd just make one change for this game, Bennett in for Flo Jo. Hopefully Bielik is on the bench and can play some part to start getting up to speed. Still think him and Holmes will make part of our strongest 11 along with a new winger.  

The Championship is brutal. You can't afford to drop your level for any game. I hope the players are full of the steely determination needed to avoid yet more playoff heartache and just go for the jugular this season, and that they will simply up their level further to get the win against Swansea.

Sounds as if Bielik is still getting up to speed. I wouldn't think any new signings arriving now will make the starting 11 Saturday. How fit are Holmes and Marriott? If Jack is ready I think we might see him come in for Josefzoon. Otherwise, probably an unchanged team.

The forward line by its nature needs to be fluid with a whole load of movement. For instance it was Waghorn on the left wing crossing to Bennett on the right wing that gave us our most dangerous moment of the Huddersfield second half. Dutch (total) football is all about movement and I have no problem envisaging a front three of Marriott, Lawrence and Waghorn, always rotating and proving a nightmare for defenders.

16 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

My Jack friend is very confident about this season. Said they'd been impressive in preseason. Don't think it'll be an easy game by any means, but last night has recovered a lot of confidence. We were pretty rubbish at Ibrox (I know , it was a friendly but just seemed underwhelming)

Yeah the majority of jacks I know are too, a lot seem to think they're gonna walk the league this season, I don't get the overconfidence after last season and just the pre season then to go off but then again who knows, still early days

15 hours ago, wyschtonram said:

They seemed more bothered about Leeds beating us in the playoffs than supporting Swansea at the game last season, some proper heads giving it the Leeds salute next to the away fans,

Swansea for you haha

My XI would be

Roos

Bogle Keogh Clarke Malone

Huddlestone Evans

Waghorn Dowell Lawrence

Marriott

But only because of injuries and fitness issues etc... ideally at home i'd like to see a 4-3-3, with Holmes and Dowell in front of Bielik and Waghorn Marriott Lawrence as the front 3 interchanging

Roos

Bogle - Keogh - Clarke - Malone

Evans - Huddlestone

Jozefzoon - Dowell - Lawrence

Waghorn

Having won on Monday, I can’t see Cocu changing a winning team unless someone is injured.

You could argue that starting Evans and Huddlestone together at home is negative.

I suppose the alternative is dropping one of them, playing Dowell in a deeper role, playing Lawrence through the middle and then Paterson out wide, but would that be disruptive?

I think the team is largely set in place moving forward. I would imagine it’ll evolve slightly and become more dynamic, especially if the likes of Shinnie, Bielik and Holmes come into the side when they are ready.

But until then, I think Cocu will stick with this.

I thought 4-3-3 was Cocus default formation, so I would expect a slight adaptation of Monday’s team. 

Think Shinnie in for Evans to start and Paterson plus Marriott to get some minutes.

be interesting to see if we can maintain our midfield fluidity against a team that I’m not expecting to stand off us as much as Huddersfield.

Archived