v Swansea City (H) Match Thread

Day

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can’t comment much on the game as I was out all day so relied on you kind fellows for updates.

We knew it would take Cocu time to stamp his authority on the team so we can’t be too critical? I think from the reports Huddlestone is not the player he was and is just now too immobile for this division.

Sounds like on another day waghorn could have had a couple? Scores the pen and we have a 100% record and fans are claiming to have the title wrapped up already ?

If we just take Rooney out the equation and think about this team with a fully fit and firing Bielik, Holmes and Marriott then I think we look good. I have my doubts on Marriott though something isn’t quite right, just seems to never be quite fit or ready, or on the golf course etc etc whatever you want to believe.

Those at the ground today, how were our fans? Positive still? I don’t get to many games nowadays but talking to fans and reading Facebook (not advisable) we always have fans who either don’t know what’s going on day to day or just fans who are quick to criticise.

Just now, JfR said:

On a lighthearted note, is it cynical for me to read too much into Paterson's choice of colour of footwear today?
Image.jpg.4dca8541796c7a97761af67bd894b37b.jpg

With all the question about Forest in his interview.... Probably a little nod to them so they don’t boo him ? 

Sure we will make up for that if he doesn’t hit the ground running!

4 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Sometimes I've had it up to here when it comes to the sneering. Your final word sums up your opening comment. The majority of people in the country and a large majority in the fine county of Derbyshire where good sense reigns voted Brexit despite the broadcast media telling them not to.

I fear brexit for the damage it will do to the working man.

I'll be fine either way though. But I care about those who won't be. The ones who were lied too.

27 minutes ago, europia said:

I guess that's why Waghorn is a half decent championship player and not PL standard. The very best players are consistent and don't drop their performance levels so drastically. 

Just a bit frustrated. COYR

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

You are right that he has been in and out of the side, and you could argue he deserves more of a chance.

I do find it telling that it’s two managers now who seem to favour other players in Jack’s position. Is it his fitness? Is it his work rate? Is he too limited? One has to wonder, because he is a poacher and a great finisher, no doubt about that.

But if Cocu favours one up front, you can see why he opts for someone in the Waghorn or Chris Martin mould.

Is Marriott going to open up the game and contribute to our all round play in the same way players like Chris Martin or Waghorn (on a good day) can?

It's a tricky one, so many rumours floating about but we'd all like to know what it is.

It would be nice to find a way to fit both Marriott and Waghorn in the team then when Waghorn tires or is injured, rotate him with Martin. 

Sorry to have to repeat this, but it was blatantly obvious (yet again) today that Waghorn is not a top class Championship striker, and although Marriott may yet come good and claim a place, there is only one No. 9 at this club who is good enough to ‘cut it’ in a Derby side hoping to make (at least) the play offs :- 

CHRIS MARTIN .. 

11 minutes ago, goldstar said:

It would be nice to find a way to fit both Marriott and Waghorn in the team then when Waghorn tires or is injured, rotate him with Martin. 

The diamond might work well, it did against Leeds, with a front two of Marriott and Waghorn. It would also allow Lawrence to play at the forward tip of the diamond. I think we're all agreed that he's better centrally as a number 10.

A variation would be to have a fluid (Dutch?) front three, interchanging positions... The worry then might be cover for the rampaging full backs.

For today's Overall ratings :

Roos- 6.5 one good save some decent distribution , not tested enough to warrant any higher.

Bogle- 7 Great cross for Waghorn and offered an outlet down the right- we missed him when he was injured.

Keogh- 7 good performance nothing outstanding but he was solid, 1 big mistake but it wasn't punished by Swansea who looked abit wasteful in the final third.

Clarke 7- same as Keogh

Malone- 4.5 piss poor end product and very slow on the ball, decent enough defensively and offered an outlet but very frustrating.

Huddlestone-5  -Mixed bag, some very sloppy bits of play , lost the ball far too many times for a player known for his passing ability,  poor in the air,  took too long over a shot and looked very immobile . He made a few decent tackle second half and improved slightly.

Evans- 5 didn't do too much that bad but was taken off at half time due to him not affecting the game enough.

Dowell-6 At times I was thinking duck me why have we bought him that was awful, his set piece delivery was abysmal and he lost the ball a lot and was poor defensively. On the other hand he showed some good touches, played a nice pass out wide to Malone late on and was our main creative spark in midfield .

Jozefoon- 5.5  Didn't do much that was that impressive, but first half he seemed quite up for it and made a few challenges and a few decent runs, 2nd half he lacked any real impact and was a peripheral figure.

Lawrence- 5 Showed some good touches and tried hard to create an opening, but was too greedy and lost the ball a lot , he was far too narrow and passed the buck to Malone too much who lacks ability,  there were occasions he needed to be more selfish and run at the fullback and times when he was ridiculously selfish and shot when he shouldn't have, he showed very poor decision making and needs to drift wide more and mix things up and put a few crosses in.

Waghorn- 4 Missed pen was poor easily telegraphed and not hard enough, missed another big chance and lacked sharpness despite the effort being there, Marriott needs to start for me.

Subs-  Paterson- 4.5 didn't do enough to impact the game harsh rating but he needed to show for it more and not pass to Malone as much.

Marriott - 5  did nothing but had no little service  

Lowe- 6 some decent bits of  play and showed energy, occasionally poor defensively and didn't look natural playing as a right back which is hardly his fault to be fair to him.  We will miss Bogle if he has to play right back for any stretch of games.

All in all distinctly mediocre apart from Roos, Bogle, Keogh and Clarke, Beilik will need to have a big impact because I don't think Huddlestone or Evans are good enough to play midfield in a team with aspirations of challenging, disappointed to not see Shinnie given ago, must not be rated by Cocu to not play and not even get any minutes of the bench, would have much rather seen him than Paterson.  

A few things dissed me off today. Although his hold up play was great at times waghorn has had 3-4 strikers bread and butter including a penalty in the last few games.  He needs to convert these, this is something that can change tho.That  out the way i can really moan ?

I’m not Malones biggest fan, but when the crowd gets on his back and they did today, to the point he turned and reacted, YOU ARE NOT HELPING PEOPLE!!!

it didn’t help TL last season did it?

last one ... announcing TL as SUPER TOM LAURENCE . It is a team game , one great game and we are creating division before kick off!!

19 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

The diamond might work well, it did against Leeds, with a front two of Marriott and Waghorn. It would also allow Lawrence to play at the forward tip of the diamond. I think we're all agreed that he's better centrally as a number 10.

A variation would be to have a fluid (Dutch?) front three, interchanging positions... The worry then might be cover for the rampaging full backs.

It did work well so hope Cocu is open to experiment with it a bit and not be too stubborn.

Agreed about Lawrence centrally I think he could really kick on this season, especially with Rooney coming in, wasn't he at Man U academy when Rooney was there? 

Archived