v Swansea City (H) Match Thread

Day

1 minute ago, AdamRam said:

Lack of creativity against a team that plays quite open was very disappointing. We looked very short on the bench on players who could come on and give us that bit of quality we needed.

If we had players capable of producing a bit of quality then surely they would be playing from the start not warming the bench 

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Yes but Cocu decided that they would be good enough for the season so don't understand the OP's point 

I wouldn't say that. From the sounds of things we had to go quite far down our list of wingers before we had to settle on getting Paterson in. I personally think we have enough quality to compete, but I don't think it necessarily means Cocu wouldn't want more or different wingers in if we could have secured them in the window.

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

If we had players capable of producing a bit of quality then surely they would be playing from the start not warming the bench 

Not really, you want strength in depth in case you need to change it.

1 minute ago, GenBr said:

I wouldn't say that. From the sounds of things we had to go quite far down our list of wingers before we had to settle on getting Paterson in. I personally think we have enough quality to compete, but I don't think it necessarily means Cocu wouldn't want more or different wingers in if we could have secured them in the window.

But if Cocu didn't think Paterson was of the correct standard then why get him in at all

Quick ratings...

Roos 6

Bogle 6 - probably our biggest threat going forward. Desperately need him to be ok. We don’t have another right back. 

Keogh 6

Clarke 6

Malone 2 - Didn’t find a white shirt passing forward once all game. Truly awful. 

Evans 5

Huddlestone 2 - they say Rolling Stones gather no moss... well Tom is covered head to toe in it. Desperately needs dropping for Bielik. 

Dowell 6

Jozefzoon 5 - don’t think he’s as bad as everyone makes out. Had a few good moments. The hate is bordering on ridiculous. 

Lawrence 3

Waghorn 3

Subs:

Paterson 5 - looked lively but did also seem like he was going to fall over his own feet at times 

Lowe 6 - did well out of position

Marriott 2 - did nothing but blaze a shot 20 yards over when we were queuing up on the edge of the box. 

As I thought really in terms of lacking creativity 

roos - competent 

bogle - won a penalty I hope his injury is not serious 

Keogh - very steady 

Clarke - he will do

malone - ok 

Evans - we don’t need him in games like this with another DCM 

Huddlestone- I thought he was ok second half 

Dowell - looked promising first half but moved back second half and gave little - crossing fairly dreadful

lawrence - nothing much went his way 

jafoozon- I wouldn’t ever start him at home because his does little - same again

waghorn - if he was Martin he would get slaughtered- dreadful game really 

subs - Paterson - nothing really but interesting where he was played 

lowe - bet he didn’t expect to play right back but did ok

marriott - I cant see how he will start unless we have strength either side of him which would be waghorn and Bennett if we play 433 

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

Quick ratings...

Roos 6

Bogle 6 - probably our biggest threat going forward. Desperately need him to be ok. We don’t have another right back. 

Keogh 6

Clarke 6

Malone 2 - Didn’t find a white shirt passing forward once all game. Truly awful. 

Evans 5

Huddlestone 2 - they say Rolling Stones gather no moss... well Tom is covered head to toe in it. Desperately needs dropping for Bielik. 

Dowell 6

Jozefzoon 5 - don’t think he’s as bad as everyone makes out. Had a few good moments. The hate is bordering on ridiculous. 

Lawrence 3

Waghorn 3

Subs:

Paterson 5 - looked lively but didn’t also seem like he was going to fall over his own feet at times 

Lowe 6 - did well out of position

Marriott 2 - did nothing but blaze a shot 20 yards over when we were queuing up on the edge of the box. 

How can Roos get a 6 yet he kept a clean sheet 

Lawrence reverting to type after all the plaudits from the game at Huddersfield?

Zoon not as bad as everyone makes out but was only worthy of a 5?

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

Which would indicate that the starting 11 were not capable of producing said bit of quality 

Not really, for example if you have 4 good wingers you would only play 2. Same with an attacking forward, if they are out of form / having a bad game etc...if you have strength in depth you can bring quality on.

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

How can Roos get a 6 yet he kept a clean sheet 

Lawrence reverting to type after all the plaudits from the game at Huddersfield?

Zoon not as bad as everyone makes out but was only worthy of a 5?

5 is average. He got a 6 because he had little to do, don’t really see how you can give more. Yes, worthy of a 5, bad performance all round, but he wasn’t any worse than the majority of the team. 

Lawrence looked like a foot problem was bothering him. Constantly limping and touching it. 

My overall thought is I think we lacked a bit of steel against Swansea’s aggressive style. Maybe it would have been a game for Shinnie? Think we really lacked balance in midfield and someone who covered the ground (I’d rather see Dowell pushed further forward). 

I can see why you bring Marriott on, but the problems came from a lack of creativity and a lack of composure in the final third. At this moment, to me that brings Martin into the mix because we need someone others can play off and find the gaps. Christ I’m gonna get some comments for that, but...a hold up player is what they are desperate for.

One example in the first half that I thought typified our day was we tried to get them on the counter but our only players going forward Waghorn and Dowell. That’s until Keogh turned up out of nowhere. But what it showed to me that we were very slow making defence into attack (partly due to Huddlestone, partly due to lack of movement) we didn’t have enough sharp, positive players. 

But I’m not complaining too much, we've got a tough start and the longer we are unbeaten the better. This 11 will not be our 11 by September/October

6 minutes ago, Srg said:

5 is average. He got a 6 because he had little to do, don’t really see how you can give more. Yes, worthy of a 5, bad performance all round, but he wasn’t any worse than the majority of the team. 

Lawrence looked like a foot problem was bothering him. Constantly limping and touching it. 

So Lawrence doesn’t gain any extra point soldering on with a injury in your scoring methodology ?

Archived