v Swansea City (H) Match Thread

Day

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Typical Championship fixture yesterday , both sides had spells on top , both sides looking for a mistake or a bit of magic to win the game , both sides looked a little toothless up front , but a points not to be sniffed at against decent opposition , onwards and upwards under Phil , Stoke next in the league and their manager must have one eye over his shoulder fearing the axe already , unforgiving league this Championship

On 10/08/2019 at 18:30, Remy the hare said:

I don’t know? You tell me? I was just trying to figure out your arbitrary scoring methodology. 

Well of course it's arbitary, it's his opinion and his personal scoring criteria. As such Srg's player scores are no more and no less valid than your's or mine.

'S all about opinions innit?

For what it's worth,                                               

Roos 6

Bogle 6                                                                                                               1 = Cocu's accidentely selected me.

Keogh 7                                                                                                              2 = must be doing it deliberately ( taken a bung)

Clarke 7                                                                                                              3 = absolute stinker

Malone 5                                                                                                            4 = poor

Evans 6                                                                                                               5 = off form

Huddlestone 5                                                                                                    6 = adequate

Dowell 6                                                                                                             7 = good

Jozefzoon 5                                                                                                        8 = suberb

Lawrence 4                                                                                                         9 = out of this world

Waghorn 4                                                                                                        10 = never gonna happen

Subs:

Paterson 6

Lowe 6 -

Marriott 4 -

11 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

Well of course it's arbitary, it's his opinion and his personal scoring criteria. As such Srg's player scores are no more and no less valid than your's or mine.

'S all about opinions innit?

For what it's worth,                                               

Roos 6

Bogle 6                                                                                                               1 = Cocu's accidentely selected me.

Keogh 7                                                                                                              2 = must be doing it deliberately ( taken a bung)

Clarke 7                                                                                                              3 = absolute stinker

Malone 5                                                                                                            4 = poor

Evans 6                                                                                                               5 = off form

Huddlestone 5                                                                                                    6 = adequate

Dowell 6                                                                                                             7 = good

Jozefzoon 5                                                                                                        8 = suberb

Lawrence 4                                                                                                         9 = out of this world

Waghorn 4                                                                                                        10 = never gonna happen

Subs:

Paterson 6

Lowe 6 -

Marriott 4 -

Very clear. Thank you x

11 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Holiday season always has an impact on early season games.

We averaged just over 27k last year over the course of a season, so i wouldnt really say attendance is really that much lower. Our average has been lower for a few seasons now that we dont have a certain ex staff member just making the figures up.

A typical early season performance.  Nothings won in August so there’s no point in getting too bothered about the results so far, that said 4 points is pretty good. Waghorn had one of those games where it just wouldn’t go for him but he was in the right areas.  Clarke carried on where he left off after Monday and I thought Dowell got better as the game went on - some nice touches and I think he’ll improve the more he plays, could be really good signing.

I’d like to see Bielik play on Tuesday instead of Huddlestone if he’s fit - unfortunately I don’t think Huddlestone is mobile enough.  Also be good for Marriott to get some more minutes.

Its only August and Saturday was out second game of the season. Nothing is won or lost in these early games but going unbeaten can boost the confidence. Typical start to the season Championship game Saturday neither side really confident on the ball and touches and passes miscued.

Only 2 side have won there first 2, Sheff W and Charlton. That speaks volumes, A tough trip to Huddersfield followed up by a tricky first home game v Swansea. I think a lot of people on here would take 4 points right now. Looking at Stoke on Saturday we need to go there a steam roll them, the players are not playing for the manager and we could be the final nail in the coffin. If we could win that game 7 points from 3 would be great.

Its still early and a lot of the players who played Saturday wont play in 3 games time, the likes of Bielik will be a starter.

I walked out not feeling too downbeat from what I saw, once they had shook off the rustiness, the over hit passes first half etc. I thought a lot of the link up play was decent, just felt like it wasn't going to be our day... waghorn's saved penalty summed it all up.

be interested to see what cocu decides to do about the situation with the full back's, really frustrated that Bogle picked up that injury as he looked great as always, struck the balance right between getting up to offer more width attacking without leaving Keogh high and dry at the back...same cannot be said for Malone, thought he had a solid season last year but was dreadful on Saturday, constantly losing possession and left Clarke to come across to cover time and time again as he was far too high up the pitch.. if Lowe isn't the long term solution covering Bogle at RB (on Saturday looked twice the player he did here last season after coming on) then he has a great opportunity making the LB spot his own. looks so much more confident! wouldn't be looking to cash in on him at all, more than capable of following Bogle's example.

liked the look of Dowell, seemed to grow in influence as the game went on though not sure about Paterson, strikes me as one of those players who looks lively and busy without really offering anything? Marriott needed to be brought on 10 minutes sooner than he was too IMO. would like to see either Bielik or Shinnie in for Huddlestone, don't feel the need to see Bielik at CB only as cover if needed, looks like Keogh and Clarke are striking up a good understanding already.

does anyone know what type of midfielder Shinnie is? is he a box to box midfielder or a deep lying defensive midfielder? would he be battling it out for a spot with Holmes/Dowell/Paterson rather than Huddlestone/Bielik?

Just in defence of Malone a little bit, he was positioned on the half way line right from the kick-off. That to me indicates that this was tactical and he was told to play further forward. 

He has an awkward style which doesn't endear him to the fans and his passing was a bit off on Saturday, but Swansea were harrying all our players very well.

I do think full backs in general get a hard time from our home crowd. They have a complex job covering both attack and defence and our left back in particular has a mercurial partner assisting with this. Lawrence, after covering every blade of grass at both ends of the pitch on Monday, looked a bit out of sorts on Saturday. Despite this, Malone never stopped trying and I admire this in him.

He's not my favourite player but he's a grafter and his track record since he arrived speaks volumes. 

It's a tough crowd to please at Derby. Let's get behind him rather than slagging him off at matches. 

My take away from Saturday - having had a couple of days' worth of reflection.

Frustrating, admittedly, and in the immediate aftermath, the 8 pints might have gone to my head in being prematurely concerned. But, actually, not much has changed for me from the Huddersfield game. Here's why:

From the 2 games it is apparent that Cocu has come to build from the back. Look at us last season, we were far too open and easy to score against. We weren't nearly organised enough - we've changed that, we look far more organised. That's two games where I've genuinely not felt worried in the slightest - I had no feeling that we'd concede whatsoever. Keogh and Clarke looks a solid partnership. Bogle and Malone look more switched on defensively. And with Bielik in front we'll be enough more difficult to break down. Excellent.

Going forward is where we still need to do work. We just haven't 'clicked' yet. But then, we're two games in and yet to play our best players. Generally, I always find that a team takes longer to 'click' than it does to get organised, so I'm not concerned. Once the players play more and play more together, they'll be fine - we just need to find our rhythm and we will. Still like the look of our options going forward but we're just missing that final touch that will come. I'd be more concerned if things were the other way around, to be honest - scoring loads but struggling defensively.

And a lot of the above is down to personnel. Injuries and late signings have meant that Cocu isn't able to play his best side:

Bielik will add defensive steel and well as a base for us to attack from. Really exciting.

Our midfield isn't mobile enough. Huddlestone isn't right in that system and I think that the return of Holmes will be massive. I really felt we missed an energetic box to box player on Saturday and Holmes will be that.

Losing Bogle on Saturday was a big blow. Lowe did well but we never looked as much of a threat. Its clear we're going to look for our full backs to overlap as our main way of playing. To lose that just as we were starting to see Swansea retreat more and us look to attack more was massive.

To everyone who is calling for Marriott - I just don't get it. I get that he's a goalscorer but I don't know what he would've done that would've made the difference on Saturday. Swansea sat very deep and we created very little. He's a poacher, not a linker and if we don't create chances, what can he feed off? I don't see that he would've made any difference on Saturday but still, a great option to have.

So just as optimistic as I was before. With the players we've got to come back I think we'll start to look dangerous. I feel that Waghorn just needs 1 goal before he starts being more lethal. And defensively we continue to look really solid. I see no reason to think that we'll not have a decent season.

Archived