v Swansea City (H) Match Thread

David

We are unbeaten. We have been in top six all season. None of the usual suspects have 6 points. Penalty was dubious but they are there as a great chance. We did not take it. More class in midfield and CF needed. Shame about Bogle, get well soon, dude.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Srg said:

Quick ratings...

Roos 6

Bogle 6 - probably our biggest threat going forward. Desperately need him to be ok. We don’t have another right back. 

Keogh 6

Clarke 6

Malone 2 - Didn’t find a white shirt passing forward once all game. Truly awful. 

Evans 5

Huddlestone 2 - they say Rolling Stones gather no moss... well Tom is covered head to toe in it. Desperately needs dropping for Bielik. 

Dowell 6

Jozefzoon 5 - don’t think he’s as bad as everyone makes out. Had a few good moments. The hate is bordering on ridiculous. 

Lawrence 3

Waghorn 3

Subs:

Paterson 5 - looked lively but did also seem like he was going to fall over his own feet at times 

Lowe 6 - did well out of position

Marriott 2 - did nothing but blaze a shot 20 yards over when we were queuing up on the edge of the box. 

Clean sheet and the average score on your back five is 5.2????

Bogle, Keogh and Clarke excellent. Malone poor with his distribution.

Overall - lack of creativity and penetration. Devoid of ideas. I’ve called this already so it’s not a surprise to me. Going to be a lot of 0-0/1-0 either way games this season.

Bit of a nearly game. That peno goes in I think we'd have waltzed home 2 or 3 goals up.

Just weren't sharp where it mattered, but thankfully neither were they.

Flo-Jo is getting there. Couple of nice turns. I'd persevere with him now. Give him a run through to the first international break.

Malone losing it with the East Stand was a bit weird. Frustrating day all round I think. 

Really hope Bogle's injury isn't as bad as it looked. What a player.

10 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

I don’t know? You tell me? I was just trying to figure out your arbitrary scoring methodology. 

That 5 is average, as it would be on a 1-10. Not sure why hindering the team by playing injured would get you more points. 

5 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Clean sheet and the average score on your back five is 5.2????

Bogle, Keogh and Clarke excellent. Malone poor with his distribution.

Overall - lack of creativity and penetration. Devoid of ideas. I’ve called this already so it’s not a surprise to me. Going to be a lot of 0-0/1-0 either way games this season.

Desmond 2. 2.

Glad you are not marking.my homework, rb

Think we are underdogs for top 6 this season to be honest

Dont have a Box to Box cm to make runs like a bryson or a hendrick like we had in the past 

Bogle injury is worrying as I dont want to witness Malone play at LB

If Marriott gets injured, dont see who is going to score our goals

But, I have faith in cocu and it takes more than one or two windows to address all issues

Nowhere near as bad a match as people are making out in the main, but there are some serious concerns for me in the front third and going forward from midfield. First things first, that’s 2 points lost. We really did chuck those down the drain with our poor finishing, missed pen, and lack of creativity. We gave Swansea excatly what they came to do, a point, which they achieved through timewasting and hacking at our players. They didn’t look up to much and I don’t think they will be across the season- that really was a home game you should be comfortably taking three points from. And we would had we scored the pen- you really have to bury them, they can change the complexity of the game in more ways than one. Poor result that.

But when you look past that, it’s not all bad. We were very organised at the back, every knew their jobs and did well in reading the play, intercepting, and winning the ball back. We were also generally good at playing out from the back as well, and I think the fans need to be more patient when we’re doing that, though it lacked a little penetration at times as the midfield didn’t offer enough options. In the main, we also retained the ball well- however we did sometimes through a lack of concentration make stupid poor passes at the back which created most of Swansea’s chances. 

Going back to the midfield is where the issues started today. I said before the match you can’t be playing both Huddlestone and Evans together. Just doesn’t work, it makes us too negative and leaves us lacking creativity in the final third. No slight on either of them, but it doesn’t work with them together as they’re poor in the final third because it’s not there game. All round really we lacked any cutting edge which is why we didn’t win, we didn’t really seem to have any spark. Neither of the wingers looked likely to create anything and neither did anyone in midfield. We seemed to lack ideas and we definitely need to work on how we create chances going forward- and part of that will be movement from wingers/ midfielders to create options for the pass, we seemed too static in those positions which led to us having nowhere really to go in the final third. But we need more quality in creating chances as well when there is a opportunity on, Waghorn was awful today with his finishing, I thought dowell was poor in the final third as well, and flojo was anonymous as per other than that one chance. No one really had the quality with their final pass, and we need better in those areas or we’ll struggle every game like today to break teams down and create chances.

Ratings for me:

Roos 6- Nothing really to do, distributed the ball well, occasionally still flappy on crosses

Bogle 7- Was the best player before he went off, won the ball numerous times and was our best threat down the right going forward too

Keogh 7- Solid in defence when called upon, generally good distribution bar that one pass

Clarke 8 MOM- Similar to Keogh including another awful pass, but better in the air and carrying the ball out 

Malone 6- Won the ball a lot, but also gave it away a lot. Some decent crosses 

Huddlestone 6- Poor first half, better second, sprayed the ball round nicely and actually got a bit more stuck in 

Evans 6- Again won the ball well, and retained possession nicely, but offers nothing in attack as you’d expect 

Dowell 7- Bump him up one for some excellent ball retention in the middle third- he’s got a great touch. Needs some quality in the final third though, didn’t look ever likely to make anything happen and by god we need someone who can make something happen atm or we’ll never create anything.

Lawrence 6- Some nice touches when involved, but little threat and few chances to try anything

Waghorn 3- Worst game in a Derby shirt by a country mile, missed pen, missed a hatful of chances and couldn’t trap a bag of cement. Would’ve been a 2 but I was lenient as Van der horn is a bloody good CB. Proper woeful though 

Josefzoon 5- Didn’t really do a lot, other than one we’ll worked chance.

Subs:

Paterson 6- Nice touches and looks quite a clever player, but overplayed at times

Lowe 7- Actually very impressive out of position, defended well and good on the ball

Marriott 5- No chance other than one he stupidly ballooned over the bar rather than passing 

Effectively, it was all rather average, other than Waghorn who Channelled his inner Conor Sammon today. We mustn’t forget however, that we did in all fairness dominate the game in the main, and if any team deserved to win it was probably us. But for all our organisation and solidity, the toothless ness going forward really cost us. And it really worries me long term. I’ll be moaned at for jumping in too early, but it really does concern me the lack of creativity and players we have that can worry the opposition. There’s no one on that team sheet, or really in our squad, that hugely excite me and make me think “somethings gonna happen” when they’re on the ball. I really think we haven’t got close to replacing mount and Wilson and going forward personnel wise we look a lot weaker. It’s a shame, because I think overall we look to have the foundations of a decent style and team, particulary in defence, but I worry that not getting that quality in going forward that cocu wanted towards the end of window could end up costing us and leave us as a solid team with little forward threat. I may be totally wrong, but I just get a horrible feeling.

12 minutes ago, DJFern94 said:

Didn't see that, what happened? 

He turned around and shouted (what looked like) “oh duck off will ya” as there were moans and groans as he passed backwards. There was absolutely nothing on going forward for him at that particular time. Besides, any player who gives a bit back to the miserable gits in the East Stand will have my full support.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Most consider a ‘7’ to be average, some say ‘6’. 

I think @Srg needs to give us full methodology criteria of the 1-10 if he’s to be the arbiter going forward.

I thought Matt Clarke and Keogh didn’t put a foot wrong this afternoon. 8 out of 10 for them pair from me. 

Well, if you were in East stand upper, row R seats 425/426 right behind me then please step forward so i can put you on my block list. 

Moaned the whole 97 minutes and even ht.

I know you can say what you like when you pay your money but it was really depressing and negative, no encouragement whatsoever.

I cant be doing with that.

A poor game that we should have won.

Positives Clarke and Bogle. Marriott needs to start.

Flo Jo a waste of time. Not a Bennett fan but at least he looks interested. Lawrence showed his alter ego today. Huddlestone and Evans does not work at home. At stages of the first half we had Huddlestone, Evans, Clarke and Keogh within 15 yards of each other.

Dowell also does not look in the same bracket as last years loanees on the 2 league games and pre-season showings. 

We have not replaced Mount and Wilson’s energy, creativity and goals in midfield....could be a longer season!

Missed all the game today so reading the bbc report to see what happened. This must be the worst thing I ever read. You can see why they voted Brexit. Sorry for copying entire thing, but they will surely change it. AI will not take all our jobs yet........

Derby County ended a week in which Wayne Rooney pledged his future to the club with a goalless home draw against Swansea City.

The Rams' optimism over Rooney's arrival in January met the reality of the visitors' resistance.

That was epitomised at Pride Park as Swans goalkeeper Freddy Woodman thwarted Martin Waghorn's penalty spot as half-time approached.

Phillip Cocu and Steve Cooper's sides remain undefeated after two games.

Woodman did not limit his heroics to the first half, making a double save after the break and at the other end Swans defender Mike Van der Hoorn went close in difficult conditions.

Rams boss Cocu resisted the temptation to start deadline day recruits Jamie Paterson and Ben Hamer, instead naming them among the substitutes.

Cooper, however, gave new signing Aldo Kalulu his debut only to see him depart injured midway through the second half.

Waghorn came close before Woodman directed his penalty away from the goal and Swans' Borja Baston saw a good effort batted away by home keeper Kelle Roos.

Swansea veteran Nathan Dyer, loan signing Sam Surridge, Waghorn and Rams team-mate were all denied as the game wore on.

Waghorn also saw a shot go too high in the seventh minute of added time.

Derby manger Phillip Cocu told BBC Radio Derby: "We're disappointed but we also saw good elements in the game. I'm happy that the whole team is trying to do what we want.

"It's my first home league game and it was a great atmosphere and we had great support for the team.

"It's hard to say how bad the injury to Aldo Kalulu is, hopefully it's not too bad because he played a good game for us.

Swansea City manager Steve Cooper said: "We're disappointed we didn't create enough chances because we got into positions where we could create chances but the final ball let us down on too many times.

"But it's a decent point. Freddy saved a penalty, which was justice really for an average decision looking back. It wasn't a bad penalty, it was a really good save.

"We'll get back into training and look forward to a cup tie on Tuesday night."

W**k

27 minutes ago, DJFern94 said:

Didn't see that, what happened? 

Second half. Sort of had the chance to launch a long cross field ball, shaped for it, but didn't fancy it and did something else. Got a few moans.

Turned to the East Stand and briefly had a look of fury on his face...looked like he shouted something. Nothing in it really. Frustration.

Really don’t think it was as bad as some are suggesting, or that certain players were particularly poor or - more bizarrely- should be judged on two performances.  Football seasons take time to get going, new teams - which we are again to a large extent and with a new manager - take time to bed in.  No need for snap judgements on anything based on today, other than apparently that the beer is too expensive.  That is unlikely to change, but the football is quite likely to over the course of a season.

46 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

We're two games into a long and gruelling season where I for one felt everyone else has had a headstart on us. There'll be plenty of ups and downs. I'm looking forward to Marriott, Bielik and Holmes getting fully fit.

Thats two parachute payment sides who have failed to beat us so far as well.

Archived