v Swansea City (H) Match Thread

David

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Ramage (First half): Do we really need two holding midfielders at home? 

Ramage (Second half): We are too light weight in midfield.

Two different things.

21 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Am I reading this right? We don't have a player that will score is enough goals? 

That's it then. Waghorn and Marriott for sale and let's start looking forward to next August. 

I mean 2 games in (we have lost neither and only 2 teams out of 24 have 6 points) but it's not looking good is it. We've got players that simply aren't good enough and won't score goals and.... come on, let the picture form before you decide whether you like the look of it. 

Divas

None of the current players scored even close to 20 last year so what relevance does how many games we have played currently with said players? Marriott scored 13 and waghorn scored 14 with considerable better service I.e Wilson and mount???

1 hour ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Well, if you were in East stand upper, row R seats 425/426 right behind me then please step forward so i can put you on my block list. 

Moaned the whole 97 minutes and even ht.

I know you can say what you like when you pay your money but it was really depressing and negative, no encouragement whatsoever.

I cant be doing with that.

I’ve seen that Malone had to tell some people in the east stand to shut up 

I dont understand the mass panic from some regarding the fear of a lack of goals? We didnt score today, theyre keeper played well, we had a pen saved. We have the same strikers as last season? Wilson and Mount weren't brought in to score goals. On the 2 performances we have looked solid as a team. Today some were off it slightly, it happens. I'm looking forward in seeing bielik in this side.

We really should have won today.

The trouble is that Bogle - a right back - was our most dangerous player and our bright spark and went off injured, and all of our chances fell to Waghorn and he had one of those days in front of goal where his composure completely deserted him.

Swansea were poor, unambitious and offered nothing. They were there for the taking. If they finish in the top 10, I’d be gobsmacked.

The thing is they dragged us down to their level. By and large, we also looked very ordinary and laboured except for a 10 minute spell in the first half. It reminded me of a Clement performance at times, if I am honest.

The positives to take from today are that Keogh and Clarke are forming a really solid partnership at the back, Bogle looks better and better with each passing game, and we still have a few players to come in and give us some oomph.

The midfield will surely be shaken up. Bielik and Holmes have to come in. A game like today was made for Duane Holmes. His tenacity, energy and direct running would have given us some much needed drive and intensity.

Lawrence, Jozefzoon, and particularly Paterson all failed to impose themselves on the game, but you expect it with that type of player. One game they can be brilliant, the next anonymous. 

Dowell showed some neat turns and touches, but then would typically follow that up with something wasteful. I get the feeling he will prove to be a luxury we can’t really afford.

All in all, 4 points from 6 is a decent start especially when the best is yet to come from us. I am sure we will look a lot better come October/November, for example, when the players have fully absorbed Cocu’s philosophy. We have to be patient.

Stoke away will be another difficult game to negotiate. They will raise their game and get at us. Let’s hope we don’t go into our shells.

Cocu will surely learn a great deal in the next few weeks.

Nice to see the collective wrist-slashing has started early this season ?

We've just beaten Huddersfield away and were unlucky to come away with just a draw today, only one team looked like winning. Thought we played some good stuff and just didn't have that clinical finish. Waggers unlucky with the pen, but it happens, it's football.

We'll be ok, the team needs a bit more time to gel and adapt to Cocu's tactics. Besides, we have one more point at this stage of the season than last season - where we'd scraped a win at Reading and been trounced by Leeds, but went on to go to Wembley...

Season isn't won or lost in August - we're not gumps

16 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

This time last season we had looked dross at Reading despite the lucky win and had looked a shambles against the Dirties. Very early days to come to any conclusions or to be overly negative me thinks...

Interesting isn’t it - I read that we hadn’t lost our 1st game of the season for 11years?

but I’m sure we’ve had some quite poor returns over the first handful of games. The season that started with Pearson. And the one with rowett where we were pretty dreadful until a backs to the wall point at Ipswich.

still plenty to improve on, but I’m heartened to hear the manager sounds like he’s got some tactical plans and we might have to be a bit patient as we practice all the moves and formations Phillip Cocu is trying to coach the team to playi.

25 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Signs of encouragement but I do think goals will be an issue, But expect defence to look better this season than last season. So hopefully it balances out and we still get top 6

Exactly. A lot of nonsense being spouted about not having a 20 goal-a-season striker. If we concede fewer than last season then there isn't necessarily a need for one. We've averaged only a goal a game for the first 2 matches but have 4 points. Would some fans prefer we'd beaten Huddersfield 4-1 with Lawrence scoring them all then losing 1-0 today?

This squad is going to take time to find its' feet but not losing whilst settling in isn't a bad habit to have. I have a feeling our defence will outshine the attack, at least during the first half of the season (Bogle injury permitting).

I felt sorry for Waghorn today.

Sure, his touch was off, but he battled away upfront without any close support.

Often he had to lay the ball off to the wing and then rave to be the only Derby player in the box!

Our performance lacked passion and intent but it's not panic time - just one of those days.

Malone was poor but also put in some of the day's best crosses.

Bogle was probably our best player before going off and I thought Lowe's performance showed both why we think he has promise and also why he's not in the team. He moves well but his decision making is poor.

Evans and Huddlestone occupied the same space today. Evans was ineffective but on a day of poor passing Tom was an exception.

Marriott, Pattison and Bielik will strengthen us and we'll be top eight when Rooney comes.

10 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Stoke can’t buy a win

Bristol have started v poorly

WBA we usually do well at home against.

they should be more fearful than us ?

Bad feeling about stoke, were unlucky to lose today and made lots of chances today too

9 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

None of the current players scored even close to 20 last year so what relevance does how many games we have played currently with said players? Marriott scored 13 and waghorn scored 14 with considerable better service I.e Wilson and mount???

None of the players scored close to 20 but we finished 6th and made the play off final

The last player to score 20 for us was Vydra. The season before that he scored 5. The season before that? 3. 

The player before him was Chris Martin. That was the one and only time he scored 20 goals in his career. 

Other top strikers you may consider. Roofe was Leeds top scorer last season with 14. He has never scored 20 league goals

Billy Sharp at Championship level has done it once

Patrick Bamford has never done it

Mitrovic scored 4 goals in 25 appearances for Newcastle in the Championship. 

Chris Wood scored 27 goals in 16/17.  In the several seasons he had spent in the league before that his highest was 13. 

Who would have predicted conference player Callum Wilson to hit 20 for Bournemouth?

My point is:

Nobody sticks around at this level looking like scoring 20 goals per season. Teams are capable of promotion without a 20 goal striker. Players are capable of scoring 20 goals from out of nowhere if the team suits them. 

Oh, and we have a player coming in January that's scored over 350 career goals. 

16 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Stoke away

Bristol H

WBA H

This will tell us a lot about cocu's team. I think we may struggle , but excited to be proved wrong

The rest have to play against these teams too , don't forget that. We will have put some tough fixtures behind us by the time we've played WBA. yes we've got a tough start   but players are getting minutes in , getting fitter , then we should have some better fixtures to come. Stay positive and let's see where we are after Brom.

7 minutes ago, Alpha said:

None of the players scored close to 20 but we finished 6th and made the play off final

The last player to score 20 for us was Vydra. The season before that he scored 5. The season before that? 3. 

The player before him was Chris Martin. That was the one and only time he scored 20 goals in his career. 

Other top strikers you may consider. Roofe was Leeds top scorer last season with 14. He has never scored 20 league goals

Billy Sharp at Championship level has done it once

Patrick Bamford has never done it

Mitrovic scored 4 goals in 25 appearances for Newcastle in the Championship. 

Chris Wood scored 27 goals in 16/17.  In the several seasons he had spent in the league before that his highest was 13. 

Who would have predicted conference player Callum Wilson to hit 20 for Bournemouth?

My point is:

Nobody sticks around at this level looking like scoring 20 goals per season. Teams are capable of promotion without a 20 goal striker. Players are capable of scoring 20 goals from out of nowhere if the team suits them. 

Oh, and we have a player coming in January that's scored over 350 career goals. 

Stop talking so much sense you'll get banned if you're not careful...

Archived