George Thorne - joined Oxford permanently

DCFC1388
Message added by Day

Please use the Loan Watch topic to discuss Thorne’s performances at Oxford United

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/33312-loan-watch-201920

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I would suggest if it offends you,to avert your eyes when you see a thread with their names in....it will save you having to spend your valuable time writing posts criticising those who are interested.

You mean the one entitled 'George Thorne' where some are considering the role of Chris Martin?

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

The clamour is because Martin was our best and most prolific strikers for years and Thorne was one of the best midfield  players in a Derby shirt I've ever seen.

Neither Blackman or Butterfield were ever more than journeymen and produced zero passion from the supporter base unlike Martin and thorne.Theres no comparison whatsoever.

And,I'd suggest that a lot of people are more than curious to see how Martin would be in the first team,linked up with a pacy striker like Marriott(or vydra,as was) yet it never seems to happen.

Martin and Thorne were so good for us, but their best season was 2013/14 - 6 years ago. Martin has scored 4 goals in the last 2 years. That's the reason we don't get to see Martin up top nowadays, and its the reason consecutive managers have exiled these players. 

Just a slight point on Butterfield also, unlike Blackman he actually hit the ground running when he first signed. He scored 8 goals in that first season. Then his form just dropped off a cliff, much like Martin. 

For me its a very valid comparison. The only difference being that Butterfield had his massive contract reduced then cancelled so he could go and play (which is no criticism of Martin, if a club promises to pay a player a massive wage the player is well within their rights to see that contract out). 

I'm not trying to rip into Martin and Thorne. 2013/14 was one of my favourite seasons supporting Derby and they will go down as two of my favourite Derby players of recent years. But for differing reasons (injury, lack of form, age etc) they're rightfully not in the centre of the clubs future plans, just like other players we have attempted to offload (Butterfield, Blackman, Anya etc). Bar an injury crisis, neither will get regular minutes. 

5 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Lots in midfield it seems. Not so many up front. Only Whittaker isn't it?

stop grasping at straws instead of wasting your time on somebody who has very little chance playing for Derby again instead marvel at the young players who will turn out to have far better careers than Martin ever had

15 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

stop grasping at straws instead of wasting your time on somebody who has very little chance playing for Derby again instead marvel at the young players who will turn out to have far better careers than Martin ever had

giphy.gif

39 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

Martin and Thorne were so good for us, but their best season was 2013/14 - 6 years ago. Martin has scored 4 goals in the last 2 years. That's the reason we don't get to see Martin up top nowadays, and its the reason consecutive managers have exiled these players. 

Firstly - Unfortunately (as I have great love for him still) I don't see Thorne playing again for us - Bielik, Hudds, Evans and Shinnie ahead of him plus Bird coming through

Now, venturing off topic

Using 13/14 as the Martin benchmark for timing isn't quite right - He was our top scorer that season and the next 2 - Then for some unknown reason he was sent out on a season long loan by a mad-man - Played well for Fulham before screwing himself slightly by trying to come back to us in the January which did for his time at Fulham - Wasn't to do with how well he was playing but the politics of it

Then Rowett happened and by last season he'd lost his way and a bit of faith from everyone

The best thing Thorne could do would be to drop down to League 2. If he still has it, he will soon move back up but he needs to rebuild his career and has the time.

As for Martin I would hope he still has a part to play and I think Cocu isn't one to relegate players. Up to Martin to show he can do it.

3 hours ago, BondJovi said:

The best thing Thorne could do would be to drop down to League 2. If he still has it, he will soon move back up but he needs to rebuild his career and has the time.

As for Martin I would hope he still has a part to play and I think Cocu isn't one to relegate players. Up to Martin to show he can do it.

He should go on loan to Exeter, I can see him up close then??? Keep that ex rams theme going there with Lee Holmes on the wing

8 hours ago, RamsFan10 said:

Just a slight point on Butterfield also, unlike Blackman he actually hit the ground running when he first signed. He scored 8 goals in that first season. Then his form just dropped off a cliff, much like Martin. 

For me its a very valid comparison. The only difference being that Butterfield had his massive contract reduced then cancelled so he could go and play (which is no criticism of Martin, if a club promises to pay a player a massive wage the player is well within their rights to see that contract out). 

I'm not trying to rip into Martin and Thorne. 2013/14 was one of my favourite seasons supporting Derby and they will go down as two of my favourite Derby players of recent years. But for differing reasons (injury, lack of form, age etc) they're rightfully not in the centre of the clubs future plans, just like other players we have attempted to offload (Butterfield, Blackman, Anya etc). Bar an injury crisis, neither will get regular minutes. 

It seems to me the being realistic is classed as criticism

17 hours ago, RamsFan10 said:

Martin and Thorne were so good for us, but their best season was 2013/14 - 6 years ago.

17 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Jesus.

old matt damon GIF

Time flies, eh?

Goes to show how easily you start living in the past if you're not careful and be able to leave things behind.

According to the DET, Cocu has said that George is heading in the right direction. Does that mean he's passing through league 1 on his way to league 2? Feel sorry for him, excellent player ruined by injuries. Hopefully a spell playing will get him back to something like his former self.

Archived