George Thorne - joined Oxford permanently

DCFC1388
Message added by David

Please use the Loan Watch topic to discuss Thorne’s performances at Oxford United

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/33312-loan-watch-201920

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, oomarkwright said:

Failed the Rams by picking that team when we were already in the play offs against Hull. 

Hughes then had to play DM and we lost 3-0 remember? 

You can only blame Wassall for that if you're looking for a stick to beat him with.

Horrible, freak injury. 

But not down to Wassall.

16 minutes ago, Charlie van de Borreltje said:

You can only blame Wassall for that if you're looking for a stick to beat him with.

Horrible, freak injury. 

But not down to Wassall.

Not directly for the injury but he picked the team in a meaningless game against a team of Mccarthy thugs!? 

Sith Happens

Still can't believe people blame Wassall.

We were hardly the form team going into the play offs, and there was nothing to suggest Thorne was likely to get injured, he had played more games than any other midfielder that season.

It is really easy to be an expert with the benefit of hindsight. We lose 3-0 to Hull, its Wassalls fault for not resting players. Had he rested players then we lost 3-0 the hindsight experts would be claiming its his fault for not giving the team the most opportunity to play together to try and build some form.

It was just a truly horrific challenge. People talk about Shawcross on Ramsey but this was much worse, Shame on Douglas for doing it, Shame on the officials for missing it and not red carding him.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Ah, of course. Thorne’s leg only snapped because he’s injury prone. Someone who never gets injured, like Richard Keogh, would have been absolutely fine.

You need to join a gym and get rid of some of this pent up anger you’ve got?

1 minute ago, Van Cone De Head said:

You need to join a gym and get rid of some of this pent up anger you’ve got?

Surely it's to built up the strength in my legs so I'm immune to horrific challenges? Only fragile, injury prone wimps get their legs snapped, clearly. And if someone comes for my legs when I'm out and about, I'm going to blame my mum for letting me out of the house just a week before a crucial lads' holiday to Malia. Irresponsible.

34 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Still can't believe people blame Wassall.

We were hardly the form team going into the play offs, and there was nothing to suggest Thorne was likely to get injured, he had played more games than any other midfielder that season.

It is really easy to be an expert with the benefit of hindsight. We lose 3-0 to Hull, its Wassalls fault for not resting players. Had he rested players then we lost 3-0 the hindsight experts would be claiming its his fault for not giving the team the most opportunity to play together to try and build some form.

It was just a truly horrific challenge. People talk about Shawcross on Ramsey but this was much worse, Shame on Douglas for doing it, Shame on the officials for missing it and not red carding him.

Most blame Darren Wassall because it's Darren Wassall.

Blame Wassall? Nah? Blame the thuggish tackle by that utter Bamford whose name escapes me. How none of the match officials saw anything wrong with the challenge will mystify me for the rest of my days. 

As for the team selection, it's damned if you do, damned if you don't. Nobody can predict these things and even if your sample was 100 games all involving Ipswich, how many would feature that kind of an injury? Significantly less than 1% would be my guess. 

While it can be argued that some key players should be rested, I'd say that should only apply to those clearly showing fatigue so close to end of season. Momentum is key to play-off success IMO though many will disagree.

My view on the recuperation period since then is that George was brought back too swiftly and has been again since. Bite the bullet and take him out of the gym, away from the club and training facilities and into a swimming pool. Treat him like a horse with a stress fracture injury and let the healing dictate the workload. Assign a nutrionalist, weigh every portion and stick to that regime rigidly until he has been at his ideal body weight and shape for several weeks before he is even returned to light training. Build intensity slowly and maintain a gym ban until he's been healthy for a couple of months. Even then, carefully monitor any weight gain even if it's lean muscle. Then and only then consider a staged return to playing games. Bodies can mend remarkably well from serious injuries but they do so at their own pace not the club's convenience.

Of course everything seems simpler in hindsight but trying to get George shifting those last excess pounds by playing games just hasn't worked. 

Anyway, why can't the likes of Lee Bamford Cattermole have rotten luck like this not George? The best player in nearly 20 years to pull on a Derby shirt IMO. Finally however, I think we have a ready replacement in Bielick who may prove even more dominant in time.

I fear it's over for George which makes me very sad and must be heartrending for the lad himself. If so, King George is dead, long live the king is the cry.

1 minute ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Blame the thuggish tackle by that utter Bamford whose name escapes me.

Challenge was a absolute disgrace and finished George,I know everyone was full of remorse and ‘it was just unfortunate’.

Just be honest,I don’t think for a minute he intended to do the damage he did but it was reckless.

George said himself he thought he’d never play again after that incident.

8 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Most blame Darren Wassall because it's Darren Wassall.

I find myself in the awkward position where I am totally supporting Wassall, even though I generally do moan about him unfairly!

Tbf I recall posters at the time saying to rest players, but that always seemed crazy to me. You play your best team and build momentum, you can get injured anytime in training or get a sickness bug or drop something on your foot...you just can't think that way. 

As it goes, I think Thorne was over rated by some fans, but always been willing to be proved wrong. It ain't gonna happen now and kindest to him to give him a fresh start. 

Think he came to us with a mixed fitness record and he has been horribly unlucky that's for sure. Good time for everyone to move on now. Weird that out of all the Steve Part 1 players only much-maligned Keogh and also somehow 'cockroach' Chrissy Martin seem to be left as fixtures at the club.

16 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Challenge was a absolute disgrace and finished George,I know everyone was full of remorse and ‘it was just unfortunate’.

Just be honest,I don’t think for a minute he intended to do the damage he did but it was reckless.

George said himself he thought he’d never play again after that incident.

Bamford should be full of remorse. You can let a player know your there or even stop him playing without going right over the top of the ball. If it happened off the pitch he'd be looking at an assault charge and compo IMO though that's a can of worms in itself. 

Seeing George in pre-season, I'm fully resigned to his demise. I really do think that the medical teams need to try a different tack but they seem intent on doing the same thing over and over. He is most likely well healed in terms of the break, but the added weight surely places additional strain on the cruciate and George looks more than a yard short to me.

I've seen anynumber of racehorses who by conventional wisdom, were done or worse and yet not only returned to action, but at the same level as before the stress fractures and other related leg injuries. Walking pools were the key. I'm willing George with every fibre to make me look a mug, but I just sense now that it's too tough. The mental side of it too and how wearing (not to mention painful) a lot of this physio is, must be utterlty exhausting.

Not once, not twice but three times. It'd empty me ?

13 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

He is most likely well healed in terms of the break, but the added weight surely places additional strain on the cruciate and George looks more than a yard short to me.

We were stood next to him 2017 in the stadium and I didn’t recognise him at first because he was so overweight.

He must have had to work incredibly hard to even have a chance at coming back.

My niece won a competition and met him probably a year after and he told them he thought he was finished.

I genuinely think he has given it everything to come back from it.

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Unbelievable how few games we were able to have  Keogh, Thorne, Hughes and Martin playing in.

If we could have had that as a consistent spine of the team I think we would be in the PL and surprising a few up there. 

4 key players that we just couldn't get together. 

Thorne was the most exciting signing for me too. So much potential. He was no slouch. Incredible strength, brilliant passer, recovered from poor positioning well, very aggressive, supported attacks... so good.

But now, now he's so slow at everything. Like he's got 2 wooden legs. Makes Huddlestone look young and fresh. 

It's a long long way back to the player he was. It's even further to the player he could have been. A task made even more unlikely by him never fit to play more than a couple of games here and there 

This season is absolutely key for him. Unless he plays a decent amount of games, I have a feeling he'll be one of those players who ends up retiring early.

A great shame because he was a rare talent.

1 minute ago, Van Cone De Head said:

We were stood next to him 2017 in the stadium and I didn’t recognise him at first because he was so overweight.

He must have had to work incredibly hard to even have a chance at coming back.

My niece won a competition and met him probably a year after and he told them he thought he was finished.

I genuinely think he has given it everything to come back from it.

I do genuinely feel awful for him. An absolute prince on his day and the most dominant CM I've seen in the division in yonks.

The Bielik signing has lifted the mood somewhat in this regard but I almost feel guilty for feeling that way with George looking so forlorn and out of sorts.. The one remaing straw to clasp at is his age. There is still time.

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Ah, of course. Thorne’s leg only snapped because he’s injury prone. Someone who never gets injured, like Richard Keogh, would have been absolutely fine.

The leg break wasn’t wassall’s fault it was just unfortunate, but to play our only defensive midfielder in a nothing game seemed a bit silly at the time in my opinion with the play offs just around the corner, especially if you consider that our other midfielders like Johnson and hendrick were injured at the time and butterfield was totally off form, didn’t seem a risk worth taking in my opinion. Steve Bruce rested most of his starting 11 if I re-call against Bolton. Seemed the perfect opportunity to give the likes of Baird and butterfield much needed game time for a confidence boost because they could have been key in the play offs, Butterfield especially after scoring 2 against hull away from home during the league campaign. I’d rested the entire starting midfield tbh. Hughes and Bryson needed resting, they were absolutely gassed at that point , both having come back off long term injuries. 

9 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

You can blame walsall for risking an injury prone player in a nothing game.

Especially when we didn’t have anyone to replace him either because our other midfielders like hendrick and Johnson were injured and Butterfield’s confidence was shot. Not just Thorne either. We should have rested all the  ‘undroppable players’ for the Ipswich game- Keogh, Bryson,Thorne,Hughes, Russell and Martin. I probably would have stuck to playing Ince though for a confidence boost because he was struggling a bit form worse. We got the ‘momentum’ after having two tough games against promotion chasing Brighton and Sheffield Wednesday the weeks before, the Ipswich game was absolutely the right time to rest players because players like Hughes and Bryson were tired by that point.

I struggled to see why we played them, we didn’t get anything out of them playing the above players against Ipswich, a team who also had nothing to play for. That game should have been for the likes of Bent, Butterfield, Weimann, Baird  and Blackman to get a confidence boost ahead of the play offs, players who could have made a difference for us in the play offs. The main players had already got form, fitness and confidence by that point. The Brighton away game especially they would have been on a big high, Brighton threw everything at us as they were desperate for automatic promotion and we withstood all of their pressure.

Archived