Near misses and missed opportunities...

Chester40

Just occurred to me as I refresh the page again in the vain hope we have signed some bloke I had never heard of yesterday...

That they will instantly go off my radar again having been so vital for 48hours.

So which transfer targets of recent years have people followed still and how do they seem to have fared??

Flops...and successes?

Henri Lansbury as a flop springs to mind

..and John McGinn as a success...?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a more general note over the past few years we always seem tho go after the right player but end up with second choice make weights .There's no doubt that if you buy right you can make serious money,Mel's cracked it with managers we just need to replicate that with the playing staff.

8 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

We nearly signed Antonio didn’t we?

He would have been brilliant.

Then we went after Forestieri who has done nothing except get in trouble since at 7 million he would have been such a Derby signing.

Shock you named two Wendies. You know you don't have to support Derby to be on this forum, right?

Seem to remember a long time ago when we brought Lee grant back that we were also looking at a young Australian goalie but decided to go for grant as he was free and the Aussie would have cost a couple of hundred grand... that Australian was Mat Ryan who now has 55 caps for Australia and played for Valencia before a big money move to the prem. Shows how tight we were with our finances back then, and how costly that can be, we got the wrong end of that deal for sure.

Other than that, we were heavily linked with Ollie Watkins for a while before Brentford got him.... he’s done alright for himself, unsurprisingly. Sometimes we seem too scared to take risks with our cash on young players and it backfires.

One that was well avoided was yanic Wildshcut though. Did nothing at Norwich for all that money.

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Seem to remember a long time ago when we brought Lee grant back that we were also looking at a young Australian goalie but decided to go for grant as he was free and the Aussie would have cost a couple of hundred grand... that Australian was Mat Ryan who now has 55 caps for Australia and played for Valencia before a big money move to the prem. Shows how tight we were with our finances back then, and how costly that can be, we got the wrong end of that deal for sure.

Other than that, we were heavily linked with Ollie Watkins for a while before Brentford got him.... he’s done alright for himself, unsurprisingly. Sometimes we seem too scared to take risks with our cash on young players and it backfires.

One that was well avoided was yanic Wildshcut though. Did nothing at Norwich for all that money.

Linked with Ollie Watkins but he was never coming to Derby...... 

Duncan mckenzie

dave mackay was supposedly after him, so cloughie signed him for Leeds just to stop Derby getting him.

he was a real,box of tricks and a showman

him and charlie george would have made a great pairing.

he never achieved much  though. After leeds he had a good spell with everton but faded away.

peter taylor didn't rate him. So we would only have got him if mackay had been successful. Of course if he had signed mckenzie may be wouldn't have signed charlie ?

All ifs and buts.

22 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I remember buying Lee Morris when Robbie Keane and Kieran Dyer we’re sold for little more money.

Yakubu, McGinn and Watkins more recently.

still don’t know why we haven’t gone in for Maddison at Peterborough.

Yakubu is one that sticks out in my mind considering the money he was later sold for.

Couldn't get a work permit to play for us but then mysteriously signed by Harry Redknapps dog not long after.

2 hours ago, maydrakin said:

The one I remember is being linked to Roberto Baggio, during the Jim Smith days, but he wanted astronomical wages, so we bought Baiano instead.

I remember that, back in the days I used to ring the Derby transfer talk line. Me dad was thoroughly unhappy when he found out I’d been ringing every day for a bout a month at summat like £1.50 a minute in the 90’s!!!

Archived