Near misses and missed opportunities...

Chester40

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

Duncan mckenzie

dave mackay was supposedly after him, so cloughie signed him for Leeds just to stop Derby getting him.

he was a real,box of tricks and a showman

him and charlie george would have made a great pairing.

he never achieved much  though. After leeds he had a good spell with everton but faded away.

peter taylor didn't rate him. So we would only have got him if mackay had been successful. Of course if he had signed mckenzie may be wouldn't have signed charlie ?

All ifs and buts.

Met him in hospitality at Everton a few years back - the hospitality manager came in after and asked

"is he still selling those photos of him jumping over a car in a Leeds kit?"

"Yes"

"Bloody Duncan - we tell him every time to stop it"

Besides that all I remember is he had really bad breath - I'm talking wilt the flowers....

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone else tell me if I dreamt this or not: following our promotion season, were we linked with a 17 year old Wijnaldum from Feynoord? I seem to recall that it was on Sky Sports that we were trying to sign him on a professional deal. No idea, it could be someone else, but I just remember it quite vividly. 

Ferrie Bodde is the guy that we went from bidding £200k on to £2m, I'm pretty sure that it was all agreed and then Swansea wanted a bigger add on. Pearson lost his patience and we pulled out. He scored 7 goals in the first 15 games or something and was valued around £6m. He then had an injury and then never really played again. 

It was the season after we came down. 

5 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Seems we missed out on pukki - wasn't he training with us once?

Personally thought we dodged a bullet with forestieri when we were rumoured to be after him.....

Nope. It was Riski, another underrated Finnish striker. No even closely as good and he had some contract issues with his serie a club. 

Riski is not a bad player at all, but faaaaaaaaaaar from Pukki.

We were in for Eidur Gudjohnsen when he was at Bolton. I seem to remember Jim Smith wouldn’t pay more than three million. He then went to Chelsea and we all know how well he did there and afterwards. I really believe if we had signed him we may have lasted a little longer in the Premier league the first time round.

7 hours ago, DesertRam said:

Ferrie Bodde, can remember everyone thinking this was vital to our survival, we never got him,

and have no idea what happened after he was injured and out for a season. Never heard of him

since?

Had a knee that just wouldn't get better. Tried to come back a few times but kept recurring and he retired said my Swansea mate. Real shame of GT levels, very talented player.

Zach Clough I seem to remember speculation (although I'm not sure how strong) before he went to forest and did nowt.

3 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Had a knee that just wouldn't get better. Tried to come back a few times but kept recurring and he retired said my Swansea mate. Real shame of GT levels, very talented player.

Zach Clough I seem to remember speculation (although I'm not sure how strong) before he went to forest and did nowt.

You should've seen my Gin Tonic levels yesterday... very talented indeed.

14 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Can someone else tell me if I dreamt this or not: following our promotion season, were we linked with a 17 year old Wijnaldum from Feynoord? I seem to recall that it was on Sky Sports that we were trying to sign him on a professional deal. No idea, it could be someone else, but I just remember it quite vividly. 

Don't know about that, but there was another transfer that, I think, we went so far as announcing the signing of, a Swiss? Austrian? midfielder who's name (and everything else) now escapes me.

Nioe. I just can't remember! Anyway, he didn't actually sign in the end, obviously. Stupid brain!

Archived