v Huddersfield Town (A) Match Thread

Day
Message added by Day

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good win.

some good football in the first half and organised shape in the second.

they were poor and there will be far greater tests.

2 goals of the highest quality. I am not Lawrence’s biggest fan but his defending in the final ten was as pleasing as it was surprising. Clarke looked good and has a proper central defender’s nose. 

Some promising signs. 

1 hour ago, Mafiabob said:

I can’t believe folk really have negatives after that.

What struck me out of everything, especially that 2nd half, was the calmness of it all. We was never scrambling at any time. Roos has one save that 2nd half.

The spine was brilliant..... Keogh/Clarke brilliant.... Evans ran his socks off and won the space..... and Waghorn, for anyone slagging him off tonight either has an agenda or just couldn’t see what he did out there..... thought he was bob on..... and won free kicks like a certain number 9 did to take pressure off. Wake up.

Lawerence was mustard

My favourite post absolutely spot on sir! 

Never like to put too much stock in the performance of a first game but the 3 points is as welcome now as it will be in April.

If this was November and we were heading away to Huddersfield we'd be lapping up that result. Scrappy at times but some real quality and never really looked threatened.

We've had a week's fewer pre-season with a brand new manager, our record signing didn't play, we've got a couple more additions incoming before Thursday and we've just gone away to a team fresh from the Premier League and got 3 points to kick the season off. If Carlsberg did Mondays....

Such contrasting halves. First we were exquisite, second we defended like troopers. Incredible but fantastic to see what we can do when needed. Some understated, shall I say to be polite, comments. I thought that was immense. Don’t underestimate Huddersfield. Two teams in a game I believe. In this league they’ll get going and cause problems I reckon. Their fans made me laugh but hey they want their team to succeed, ref was brilliant and top marks to him I thought.   And we are adding to this squad. I genuinely didn’t quite know why to expect but that was truly immense as far as I’m concerned. Clarke was stupendous. Blimey this was special as far as I’m concerned. Of course we will face challenges but so much up on Lampard team. Remember three top loanees last season. Ok two so far this but I’m buzzing and while some are against possible Rooney move, already the media are going crazy for it and I think he’d be immense in this league. This Ram is gonna sleep well tonight not just because of the four ales........ yeah baby 

A7C5BCFC-6395-4C15-8C65-D74F9A8A2533.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

I can’t believe folk really have negatives after that.

What struck me out of everything, especially that 2nd half, was the calmness of it all. We was never scrambling at any time. Roos has one save that 2nd half.

The spine was brilliant..... Keogh/Clarke brilliant.... Evans ran his socks off and won the space..... and Waghorn, for anyone slagging him off tonight either has an agenda or just couldn’t see what he did out there..... thought he was bob on..... and won free kicks like a certain number 9 did to take pressure off. Wake up.

Lawerence was mustard

Totally agree, Waghorn was up against a prem CB who looked a good 4/5' taller, why we couldn't send a few at chest height

instead of lumping balls 20 feet in the air - perhaps we can work on that!!

A game of two halves. Brilliant in different ways in both. I thought our preseason had been undercooked and we'd struggle for the first fortnight - perhaps we will still - but it was an excellent opening.

Defensively we looked incredibly solid. And I loved how we could sit in during the second half and hardly give them a sniff, while still looking to break.

The first half we looked really purposeful. That's actually the adjective I'd use for the whole game. It looked as if everyone knew their job, and believed in their jobs.

Wonderful performance from Tom Lawrence, also robbed of a penalty. Tremendous debut from Matt Clark. Great team performance. Three points tonight matter just as much as in the cauldron at the end of the season. Well done you brilliant Rams.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

A game of two halves. Brilliant in different ways in both. I thought our preseason had been undercooked and we'd struggle for the first fortnight - perhaps we will still - but it was an excellent opening.

Defensively we looked incredibly solid. And I loved how we could sit in during the second half and hardly give them a sniff, while still looking to break.

The first half we looked really purposeful. That's actually the adjective I'd use for the whole game. It looked as if everyone knew their job, and believed in their jobs.

Wonderful performance from Tom Lawrence, also robbed of a penalty. Tremendous debut from Matt Clark. Great team performance. Three points tonight matter just as much as in the cauldron at the end of the season. Well done you brilliant Rams.

Tom Lawrence and Matt Clark, especially, delivered the goods tonight. The impact of Cocu on the squad was clear to see.

There were some obvious areas where we need to do better but I have every confidence Cocu will address them.

A great start to the season!

5 hours ago, thederbyram said:

Never like to put too much stock in the performance of a first game but the 3 points is as welcome now as it will be in April.

If this was November and we were heading away to Huddersfield we'd be lapping up that result. Scrappy at times but some real quality and never really looked threatened.

We've had a week's fewer pre-season with a brand new manager, our record signing didn't play, we've got a couple more additions incoming before Thursday and we've just gone away to a team fresh from the Premier League and got 3 points to kick the season off. If Carlsberg did Mondays....

And we might be signing Wayne Rooney !!!

does it get much better lol

4 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

There u go again ... too easy this lol

i thought Matt Clarke was absolutely outstanding and if he carry’s on like last night I’d be breaking the bank for him

a proper centre half who gets off on defending ... my type of centre half.

not a slight on tomori as he clearly proved me wrong last season, and it’s only one game but those of u that have played centre half and have an appreciation know what I’m getting at.

This is probably just me but id rather have a centre half the is proactive not reactive 

I’m very encouraged by his performance last night ... granted one game lol

4 hours ago, DesertRam said:

Totally agree, Waghorn was up against a prem CB who looked a good 4/5' taller, why we couldn't send a few at chest height

instead of lumping balls 20 feet in the air - perhaps we can work on that!!

I thought Waggy battled incredibly hard last night,im a massive fan of his so not hating on him but thought he got monstered quite honestly, as u say dangling balls up to him did not help one bit.

Not sure why flojo has received so much stick from some

ok we wasn’t ripping them a new one, but he was a constant outlet for us.

hes never going to be a goal scorer like Lawrence, and he got caught out badly and needlessly with the ball a couple of times, but if u actually look prior to Lawrence’s goals he had spent the first 15 minutes giving it away too

zoon constantly dragged two men over to double up on him, and was recycling the ball quicky which gave us the space in the middle for the likes of Lawrence (effectively) and Dowell (less effectively) to exploit. 

He worried them, so without setting the world alight last night he was pretty key to how we played.

i was more disappointed with mase tbh, don’t think he got the ball under control once, but we love him and we won so who cares lol

An excellent start. Derby were far more assured than they were against Reading 12 months ago. They played cohesive football against a side who they couldn't have assessed as it is the start of the season and Huddersfield played in the Premier league last season. Lawrence was a revelation and hopefully Cocu can fully exploit his potential.

Hopefully with a few reinforcements this can be a good season.I hope Harry Wilson was watching! Come back Harry!

6 hours ago, SKRam said:

I had to head out after game to celebrate. I mentioned the Rooney thing and was laughed at by erm an individual, him stating why would he come to Derby when he’s on XXX amount in US. I suggested he does wish to begin his coaching career and thought a few would believe this impossible. This is not impossible and our chairman may just be a genius 

Why would Lampard come to Derby? Where is he now? Morris set a nice precedent with Lampard that showed a pathway to higher things. Will Rooney follow? Chance to work under Cocu? Clearly wants to get back to Blighty...it could happen. 

38 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

An excellent start. Derby were far more assured than they were against Reading 12 months ago. They played cohesive football against a side who they couldn't have assessed as it is the start of the season and Huddersfield played in the Premier league last season. Lawrence was a revelation and hopefully Cocu can fully exploit his potential.

Hopefully with a few reinforcements this can be a good season.I hope Harry Wilson was watching! Come back Harry!

Very true - against Reading we were lucky to win we weren’t yesterday 

Apart from Derby surprising us all because we mostly believed that we were well undercooked for the start of the season I must give a big stand out to newly relegated Huddersfield 

they were dreadful and appeared to have no plan at all as to how they were going to play themselves - every other team would be ten times more energetic and close down the space in our half  - leaving Tom Huddlestone with all the time in the world to do exactly what he wanted - bonkers 

Last chance to get good odds on Rams winning Championship. Sky reckon Rooney deal likely to be done today. Rowett becomes Lampard. Lampard becomes Cocu. Cocu and Mel get Rooney. Parallel universe standard of news. Rams become juggernaut. Rooney weekly publicity dwarfs Lampard publicity . Rams run out of letter Y for club shirts. Just give Wayne three quid a week and.let him have all the money he gets from shirts, laces mugs etc.

Archived