v Huddersfield Town (A) Match Thread

Day
Message added by Day

That was a long second half. A lot of work still needed to be done on our midfield, before it becomes an effective unit. A midfield that is capable of helping win the ball, when we are under pressure defensively. Then have the ability to retain the ball while moving it up the pitch. Something we failed to do in the second half so every long ball kicked up the pitch came straight back at us.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very promising start to the season!

thought Clarke looked reassured, we might miss the pace of Tomori at times, but one first impressions Clarke looks like he won’t need to make those last ditch attempts 9/10. Even had a good Keoghesque run forward too!

We need some more creativity in the side as you can’t rely on Lawrence to have a beast of a performance every match (though it’ll be lovely if Cocu can bring that out of him more often this season!!) 

It’ll be interesting who partners Bierlik once he’s match fit - wonder how much Cocu rates Shinnie? Nice to see Knight get a run out, but I was expecting Shinnie to see out the last ten mins. 

Finally - really good to see Holmes and Bierlik travel and sit with the fans!!

Still a bit of work to do obviously, but you can see what's happening. Great shape, everyone's buying into Cocu's 'philosophy', proper grafting. We need a bit of bite upfront I reckon, midfield and defence is sorted.

I really like the look of Clarke, looks like an hard man and will probably have a better season than Tomori.

Just a couple of small things that make us marginally better than last season. Great to watch us see the game out I areas of panicking, when 4 mins added time went up I naturally assumed we'd see Huddersfield have an onslaught but we managed the game well there.

For all the similarities of Lampards Derby, Cocu's Derby has better game management...so far!

One of those nights you have to stand back and say ‘well done’. Could have an odd grumble here and there but that can come later. Everyone played their part on and, most importantly, off the ball.

Thats maybe the best overall performance I’ve seen all weekend

So many promising signs and let's be honest, not too many negatives. A bit of loose defending here and there to tidy up. But overall we sat there and sent them packing. 

They likely will feel they had the chances to get something. But the overall feel of the game was that Derby are more purposeful team. Everything more deliberate. A game won and positives to build on with no real glaring holes is a big positive for us all. 

I thought Evans played well too. In fact I found myself frustrated with a couple of Huddlestone lofted balls forward at the end there where it's players like him that you expect to have the ability and composure to pick out something more useful. 

The second half was for Waghorn. So while I understand people want to see Marriott we needed Waghorn's graft and strength to make those hoofs count for something. Marriott would be suited to the first half performance. 

And Clarke looks bloody brilliant. 

Well done the fullbacks too. Huddersfield do love their wingers and Bogle and Malone had a lot to deal with. 

Good performance. Not spectacular in the second half but we can forgive that on day 1 can't we?

That wasn't perfect... but it was bloody great!

Fantastic first half hour, particularly the flair of TL.  Solid second half, particularly the graft of TL!  The whole back line impressed second half, although admittedly Huddersfield were weak.

Promising... very promising... roll on Saturday... I wanna see 'em in the flesh!  It's been a long summer!

COYRs

So many positives tonight, first half excellent football, second half we where solid, Lawrence was excellent and worked his socks off, Keogh great as normal, Clarke looked a great signing, Evans was neat and always there, Waggy ran his socks off, Bogle good, and Malone also had a good game, and more to come with Bielik, Holmes.Marriott and Shinnie to come in, and if Rooney ends up coming, it could be a dream season.

Just watched the two goals. Oh wow ! 

Going to watch them again now just for fun, yea yea  that lofted lob ?????  now can I put it on continuous repeat as a screensaver  ? Delicious, i’ll Have another one thank you waiter 

Well, I had a nightmare - partner's family dropped round for dinner as a surprise after some good news. Which was lovely for her but meant I missed the whole game. Horrendous. 

Looking forward to watching the highlights (ffs) but seems like a quality performance considering we aren't quite at "full power" yet. Low key excitement. Supposed to be one of our hard away games too. Remember that away form was our downfall last season...

Clarke looks class from the back. Derby looked composed, and steady in the second half, and dangerous going forward in the first. Lawrence was absolutely brilliant. Made a huge difference. Need him to continue performing like that. Dowell was a bit stupid for the pen, but had a decent all round game, we dealt with their press well, and looked steady. Very impressed with the start.

Excellent result and obviously Lawrence was man of the match with a superb all round performance.The free range that has been given by cocu is going to pay massive dividends for us this season.

My second fav was Clarke...he has given us a measure of control in defence that we have missed.

One of very few downs for me was waghorn....struggled to impose himself,poor on the ball for him and seemed to be trying too hard.

So,a great result for us and a very,very promising start.

10 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Fair play to Cocu 2-1 up looking tight & brings on an 18 yr old youth... Shows some faith & trust in the youngster 

Agreed. Although fact that Shinnie behind Evans and Knight (and presumably Holmes) means I think Cocu might not fancy him. 

Loved Cocu stonewalling the Rooney questions at the end. Not even a playful smile. Completely deadpan.  And very professional.

Archived