Gary Rowett - opinions

SWFC_FAN

Hello Rams fans, hope all is good. Just came to get your opinions on Gary a Rowett? Like yourselves, Wednesday  have had pre season scuppered by our manager jumping ship to the Premier League. It is becoming increasingly clear that Rowett is going to become our next manager. I’m deflated to say the least, really don’t rate him.

But just wanted some honest views on what we can expect. I know a lot of Derby fans dislike him, I’ve asked my Derby mates and the only responses I got was ‘snake’. Hoping to get more of an idea than that!

Good luck for the season by the way, it seems both clubs are restricted with what they can do due to the stupid FFP rules. Happy with the business you’ve done so far? 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Similar methods to Steve Bruce, so probably a good like-for-like replacement if that's what you're after.

He should get you results, even if the football isn't the prettiest.

He does give a good press interview, so I'd imagine that if he's met with your Chairman then it's a pretty much nailed on cert he'll get the job as I can imagine he gives a good formal interview too.

Will play turgid, defensive football and rely on being overly clinical based on chances created. Don't expect too much excitement or tactical genius, but do expect plenty of soundbites which initially seem to make sense until you realise it's a routine. He can be effective, and if he strikes right you can be competitive towards the top of the league, despite not having much fun doing so. If not, he'll do another Stoke. 

Even though he did jump ship, and the football wasn't always the best he did get us into the play offs. Fell at the final hurdle of trying to beat Fulham in the semi finals. When he was at Burton he was a very well respected young coach and knows the game very well. He could be a good fit for you. Maybe the job at Stoke came at the wrong time for him

Full of himself so will pull the wool over the eyes whoever is interviewing him, didn’t so much kiss the Blarney Stone rather than gave it a darn good seeing to. 

As has been alluded to, like’s a soundbite,  “In the building” and referring to players as “bodies” were two that grated with me.

Might get you in the top 10 if the players buy into his plan, might be on the look out for another club while with you, (allegedly did that at Birmingham hence his exit from there) might end up better for you than Bruce, who knows ?

I’m not a fan but there’s plenty on here we’re happy with him when he was here, good luck for the coming season. 

He's all for himself , leaves his top striker out for a game we must try to win .Picked a team that only had two shots over two games.

Went one nil down at Wolves and went for the two nil defeat ,apart from that he's alright. Sorry must add he's incapable of saying think so if you hear him say fink you know what he means.

Money + Rowett for Bruce? No brainer. 

The way he left the club will skew views on him, but when he signed his new deal a few months earlier many seemed to be happy he had given Stoke the finger. 

Style of football can be divisive if you have fans that demand Barcelonaesque football, not a manager that is interested in possession for possession sake, likes to soak up the pressure then hit teams on the counter.

You can have games where you get 3 chances and win 3-0 and the opposition fans flood your forum accusing you of anti football declaring the morale victory over possession stats. Won't be many games which you walk away from and say you dominated that, but plenty with 3 points in the bag so it really depends on what is football for you?

Chances are some will call it "hoofball" but that's just a lazy accusation, it's nothing like hoofball, you might get the odd long ball clearing it out from the back but it's not 90 minutes of aimless balls flying up to a big man up top.

I wouldn't be overly concerned by his time at Stoke, they didn't appear to improve after he left either, looks to be a troubled club that needs to hit the reset button and start again.

The reality is, a saying that will grate on those who dislike him, he's a decent Championship manager and you could do a lot worse. The one concern I would have is if another club comes in for him, as you saw he jumped ship for Stoke and their parachute money hence the inflatable snakes. 

Sounds like a guy who practices interviews at home. 

Sets his team up like they're 1-0 up and refuses to change it no matter what the score. Pretty good at building a counter attacking team though. 

His teams aren't boring when the opponents get forward in numbers. It's one of the most boring events of the year when the opponent is cautious. Totally infuriating when losing because he still plays counter attacking football. 

Rather have Rowett than Bruce.

I liked him.

He got the best out of Vydra, brought in the likes of Davies and Huddlestone for peanuts.

The issues I had with him was his football was absolutely dire and selling Hughes for a fraction of the price we all expected, although I don't think he had any other alternative.

If I was a chairman who had peanuts to spend, wanting to grind out wins rather than play pretty football for 46 games...he'd be at the top of the list. If you have bucket loads to spend and want quick flowing football, avoid like the plague.

He's still a young manager and will learn, he's too smart not too.

16 minutes ago, David said:

Style of football can be divisive if you have fans that demand Barcelonaesque football,

Or fans that demand a team to not constantly play counter attacking football when there's no attack to counter. Like Wolves away where we parked the bus to bravely defend a defeat. Not for the first or last time. 

There's like a huuuuuuge gaping chasm between Rowett's style and Barcelona. 

Never wanted him in the first place, glad he has gone, and his style of football and transfer activity set us back years. Says it all that he sanctioned the sale of our best youth academy player by telling him he want in his plans, and replacing him with players that had their best years behind them.

Dont buy into that the majority of fans were happy when he signed a new contract, maybe ones that didn’t go to games and didn’t have to sit through his abysmal football and are only interested in results but for me the play off semi summed him up. The away leg was embarrassing, top scorer on the bench, and after taking a lucky 1-0 win at home he sent a team out that was even intending on attacking.

His style isn’t hoofball, it’s worse than that, it’s percentage football, hit the channels, limited players sent to attack whilst the rest stay in rigid positions whilst not being allowed to express themselves.

I’d be surprised if he lasts long if he gets the job, so many managers now play on the front foot, entertaining fans, pressing, passing and playing the game the right way, there will still be fans that think it’s all about results, and in this league he can probably grind them out, so if you are of them, he may float your boat, however I don’t envy anyone watching his brand of football, it is like his trainers...poo.

Just now, Alpha said:

Or fans that demand a team to not constantly play counter attacking football when there's no attack to counter. Like Wolves away where we parked the bus to bravely defend a defeat. Not for the first or last time. 

There's like a huuuuuuge gaping chasm between Rowett's style and Barcelona. 

That's his style, encourage the opposition to push forward, create spaces that you can exploit on the counter. It's not going to work every game, same applies to every manager and the way they approach games.

Look at McClaren, Martin was pivotal to his system, when we lost him to injury did we look to change things? No, just kept trying the same thing over again.

You can pull games out under Lampard, Rowett, McClaren, Clement, who all could have approached individual games better, end of the day he took us 90 minutes from Wembley so he's not the mug some make him out to be. He's also fairly young so plenty of time to learn from his mistakes and adapt. 

Dreadful football. No pressure in the middle, generally tend to sit off and give the other team possession, no real great build up play, pretty much just crossing it in to a target man in the middle. He did bring out the best in Matej Vydra to be fair to Rowett, though he sold our best and most technical midfielder for a pathetic 4 million.

Up with Pearson as my least favourite manager in recent memory.

4 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Dont buy into that the majority of fans were happy when he signed a new contract, maybe ones that didn’t go to games and didn’t have to sit through his abysmal football and are only interested in results but for me the play off semi summed him up.

Ooh, be careful up there on that high horse of yours. 

For someone that takes so many swipes at fans below him that use forums, you spend an awful lot of time here trying to educate us mere mortals. I guess we should be thankful that someone of your status and standing in the fanbase graces us with your presence.

You would think if the majority were happy he left there would be no reason for the inflatable snakes, fans would have been buying party hats and balloons. 

Just trying to think of another set of fans that en masse purchased inflatable snakes for a manager they wanted out....fans that were at the game. Struggling....

Archived