Gary Rowett - opinions

SWFC_FAN

12 hours ago, David said:

Really struggling with this idea that there is a link between those that go prefer entertaining football compared to those that watch on RamsTV prefer results. 

I could list a number of members that do not regularly go to games that were disgusted with Rowett's football. Likewise I could list others which were disappointed to see him leave, but then you seem to hold a view that fans opinions differ hugely outside this forum so I guess that would be a pointless task.

It comes across as a swipe, and not the first time which is why I picked up on it as I have and will always been defensive over fans right to have an opinion regardless of how they consume their football

Great phrase well put and appreciaed

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Dont concede goals and you dont lose games that's just a matter of fact.

Never really understood why people aren't entertained by us scoring goals...isn't that the whole point of the game?

It wasn’t a criticism it was an observation 

9 hours ago, David said:

And I stand by it, I don't need you to admit you are wrong, I've seen the posts, some of which that were aimed at myself. I saw them, just didn't acknowledge them, saw no reason to justify myself to you nor should others. 

Despite your public denials, I'm sure you are well aware of what I'm talking about. 

Nope, I have reread my OP numerous times now, at least if you are calling me out for being on a high horse or some sort of moral high ground have the decency to highlight where I put this. 

Honest view? @SWFC_FAN I feel for you.

I'm surprised to see all these positive or even half-positive posts here. You'd better cancel your season ticket if you have one. Get yourself a healthy hobby for a year (less might do as he will jump a ship before if given opportunity) and come back 2020-2021 more fit. SW might get to playoffs and even win the final in penalties but even that he could make borefest. Don't ask me how, I don't know as we didn't get that far.

His "footballing" principles can be summarised through his transfer dealings: In his head James McClean is worth a more money than Will Hughes. Let that sink in.... If you're not familiar with them as a players Hughes is like damn rich man's Barry Bannan and McClean... erm...well... he can run and piss people off. If you have any selable players, prepare yourself. They are gone quicker than he is.

I do understand why chairmen hires him though. He talks all the right things even though later it will become obvious it just sweet talk.

There's couple things he did well or even very well. He did manage to get most out of Vydra who didn't suit to other manager's plans we've had lately. Also, switching over to mighty Stoke gave us two millions which is about 7 millions more than real market value. Good job, both of them.

Out of all of his weaknesses I've saved the worst to complete my sandwich feedback:  I can't see any player enjoying his footballing thesis and that can only have negative effects to the team.

And this is from someone who is usually firmly on the fence. 

Good luck with your new hobby!

Like most others have already said, he won't get you playing flowing, tika-taka stuff, but he will win you some games.  Whether he wins you enough to get you in the play offs or higher is debatable.

Just do yourself a favour and don't buy into the rhetoric he spouts to the press, especially when it comes to the "ongoing process", and "the need for change and improvement", because despite saying it pretty much every week while he was here, there wasn't much evidence that he practiced what he preached.  

Still, if you have a striker capable of being clinical when chances do come your way, then you might enjoy some decent results, but they'll be few and far between.

2 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Honest view? @SWFC_FAN I feel for you.

I'm surprised to see all these positive or even half-positive posts here. You'd better cancel your season ticket if you have one. Get yourself a healthy hobby for a year (less might do as he will jump a ship before if given opportunity) and come back 2020-2021 more fit. SW might get to playoffs and even win the final in penalties but even that he could make borefest. Don't ask me how, I don't know as we didn't get that far.

His "footballing" principles can be summarised through his transfer dealings: In his head James McClean is worth a more money than Will Hughes. Let that sink in.... If you're not familiar with them as a players Hughes is like damn rich man's Barry Bannan and McClean... erm...well... he can run and piss people off. If you have any selable players, prepare yourself. They are gone quicker than he is.

I do understand why chairmen hires him though. He talks all the right things even though later it will become obvious it just sweet talk.

There's couple things he did well or even very well. He did manage to get most out of Vydra who didn't suit to other manager's plans we've had lately. Also, switching over to mighty Stoke gave us two millions which is about 7 millions more than real market value. Good job, both of them.

Out of all of his weaknesses I've saved the worst to complete my sandwich feedback:  I can't see any player enjoying his footballing thesis and that can only have negative effects to the team.

And this is from someone who is usually firmly on the fence. 

Good luck with your new hobby!

I’ve watched us under Jos Luhukay to be fair mate, I would take a 5th place finish under Rowett over what would have been relegation last season if the chairman didn’t sack Luhukay. 

He won’t get the opportunity at Wednesday to sell our better players because our chairman won’t let him, so no need to worry there. He will have to work with what he’s got, and be willing to do so. 

3 minutes ago, SWFC_FAN said:

I’ve watched us under Jos Luhukay to be fair mate, I would take a 5th place finish under Rowett over what would have been relegation last season if the chairman didn’t sack Luhukay. 

He won’t get the opportunity at Wednesday to sell our better players because our chairman won’t let him, so no need to worry there. He will have to work with what he’s got, and be willing to do so. 

I take it Rowett is the favourite for the job then, is that just going bookies odds or are the local media reporting it? 

I will try and be fair about him- His football style I would describe as counter attacking at best, but it can be effective. Expect solid defensive performances and perhaps an improvement on recent league finishes. (6 defensive players) 

However if you do get him in expect any flair players to not be as effective or sold. Like a lot of managers has no loyalty and finally he seems to get a lot of draws!

(he benched the leagues top scorer in the play offs for us for 'tactical reasons'- let that sink in.)

so positives: 

1. Organised football and could get you higher in the league.

2. He wont be coming back here.

On 23/07/2019 at 15:49, SWFC_FAN said:

Hello Rams fans, hope all is good. Just came to get your opinions on Gary a Rowett? Like yourselves, Wednesday  have had pre season scuppered by our manager jumping ship to the Premier League. It is becoming increasingly clear that Rowett is going to become our next manager. I’m deflated to say the least, really don’t rate him.

But just wanted some honest views on what we can expect. I know a lot of Derby fans dislike him, I’ve asked my Derby mates and the only responses I got was ‘snake’. Hoping to get more of an idea than that!

Good luck for the season by the way, it seems both clubs are restricted with what they can do due to the stupid FFP rules. Happy with the business you’ve done so far? 

In all honesty I don’t think he’s a bad manager, or atleast within him there is a good manager. To be honest I like him as a bloke too. He speaks very well as a pundit and at times I was impressed with his tactics at Derby, the football wasn’t as bad as people liked to make out either, only towards the end when he ran out of ideas.

The problem comes from himself as I see it, his reputation kind of goes before him now in terms of scouting for other jobs (side note: I’m sure it’s been mentioned, but a large part of his reasoning about leaving us was about the pressures of living locally and stuff like that. Although not sure how true that was considering his way of remedying that was going to Stoke). The other part of that is that he wants to fast track his way to success, at Derby he moved to a ‘win at all costs’ mentality that didn’t suit. He would have been given time at Derby, maybe a couple of seasons to build with the youth but instead went with Cameron Jerome for a final push. Added to this, was his style of play or lack of. He chanced on a plan with Vydra and Nugent upfront that worked but only was going to last for a short amount of time. Once that stopped working he was buggered for a plan B because in Plan A he froze out Chris Martin and Winnall got injured (while Martin was nowhere near his form, he was still a viable optio , all he had to do was keep him happy and involved). 

Anyway, that’s probably enough to read! Somewhere in him is the ability to be a good manager, but he’s got to now learn from his mistakes at Derby and at Stoke. He needs to look to build somewhere, probably with a wiser head in his backroom staff to keep him grounded and offer advice when needed (I’ve seen a certain Mr Pulis is currently free and would fit in im sure).

Good luck for the season, rotten timing on Steve Bruce leaving so close to the season but long term it’s probably a blessing in disguise!

On 23/07/2019 at 17:04, AdamRam said:

Dont buy into that the majority of fans were happy when he signed a new contract, maybe ones that didn’t go to games and didn’t have to sit through his abysmal football and are only interested in results but for me the play off semi summed him up. 

Absolute tosh. I think the vast majority of our fans were happy when he took us to the top of the league at Christmas time.

16 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Absolute tosh. I think the vast majority of our fans were happy when he took us to the top of the league at Christmas time.

Think i read a few times that you are more interested in the result rather than the entertainment on the pitch. If you read my post I’m not arguing with that point or opinion, what I said is that I don’t buy into the majority being happy with him signing a new contract.

I can only base it on people I know, of which many, me included had been disinterested in his style of play. Unless you have any hard facts that say I’m wrong, then I’ll stick with that opinion.

3 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Think i read a few times that you are more interested in the result rather than the entertainment on the pitch. If you read my post I’m not arguing with that point or opinion, what I said is that I don’t buy into the majority being happy with him signing a new contract.

I can only base it on people I know, of which many, me included had been disinterested in his style of play. Unless you have any hard facts that say I’m wrong, then I’ll stick with that opinion.

You’re correct in your first statement.

I just genuinely think that most were very happy with the new contract based on where we were in the league at the time. I reckon most see winning football as good football until the results start to slide.

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

You’re correct in your first statement.

I just genuinely think that most were very happy with the new contract based on where we were in the league at the time. I reckon most see winning football as good football until the results start to slide.

As I said just my view, results wise you can’t argue GR didn’t do a bad job with the exception of the play offs, just my opinion was that he was not universally welcomed by the majority and many were more than happy to see him leave.

I have got anything to back that up, just something I believe based on talking to other Derby fans. 

40 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Gary Rowett did a good job, and that's precisely why there was so much venom when he left. 

That's not true, he did what he was employed to do, played the most boring football known to man, and set up to defend in a play-off semi.

Was glad he left.

14 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

I’ve never left so many games at HT before......some times we were winning as well! It was just that boring at times, that’s all I can say really.

I think it was Barnsley away, a group of us always goto local away games and when the third went it, most of the group had already left already and gone to the pub it was that bad.

Archived