Gary Rowett - opinions

SWFC_FAN

Just now, reverendo de duivel said:

I'll be honest, as an independent I think @David has been uncharacteristically touchy.

Never hidden the fact it's my weak spot, as a one off I can see how it may look touchy, but I have seen these comments made several times now  over a period of time and being sat at a laptop and not on a phone was in the mood to call it out. Believe me, I have bitten my fingers on many occasions having ranted on this at length on many occasions.

I don't like it at all, no need for it and would hate to think members wouldn't feel comfortable sharing their opinions if this place became a "if you don't go to games your opinion is invalid" forum.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, David said:

Never hidden the fact it's my weak spot, as a one off I can see how it may look touchy, but I have seen these comments made several times now  over a period of time and being sat at a laptop and not on a phone was in the mood to call it out. Believe me, I have bitten my fingers on many occasions having ranted on this at length on many occasions.

I don't like it at all, no need for it and would hate to think members wouldn't feel comfortable sharing their opinions if this place became a "if you don't go to games your opinion is invalid" forum.

Most seasons I usually attend every home match and about 20-50% of away games and I like to be entertained when I'm there!

However if I've not been present at an away match for example and I log on after to see our score, all I'm interested is in the win, couldn't give a stuff about the style of play etc, cuz I wasn't there.

I'm guessing there are fans that feel that way about every game??? Not saying you or anyone in particular, but I bet there's some.

I was happy when we got Rowett in but slowly over the season I began to notice we weren’t that good. He talked a good game but never produced one. I can remember us scoring 5 past Hull and thinking we weren’t even the better team.

I though Bruce did quite well at Wednesday are you glad he has gone? 

18 minutes ago, philmycocu said:

Most seasons I usually attend every home match and about 20-50% of away games and I like to be entertained when I'm there!

However if I've not been present at an away match for example and I log on after to see our score, all I'm interested is in the win, couldn't give a stuff about the style of play etc, cuz I wasn't there.

I'm guessing there are fans that feel that way about every game??? Not saying you or anyone in particular, but I bet there's some.

Of course there will be many like you, point I was making is not going to the game doesn't automatically mean haven't watched the game, times have have changed. 

Not like the old days where if you wasn't there it was listening to the radio and rushing down the newsagents for a Green'un, we have plenty of fans that pay their online subscriptions and expect to be entertained, just as much as the fan in the stand.

When it comes to this forum, we have had 1,164 members login over the last 30 days, now even I couldn't tell you every one of those personal circumstances on whether or not they have attended 1 or every game in their life, how anyone else could and pass judgement I will never know.

By highlighting this, it's been seen as personal, whilst others are simply "profiling"...regularly. I don't buy it at all, we're all Rams and no opinions are superior, including my own.

41 minutes ago, David said:

Once again show me where in my earlier post I have indicated anything that even resembles what you have put there. 

17 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

I was happy when we got Rowett in but slowly over the season I began to notice we weren’t that good. He talked a good game but never produced one. I can remember us scoring 5 past Hull and thinking we weren’t even the better team.

I though Bruce did quite well at Wednesday are you glad he has gone? 

Absolutely gutted he’s gone. Sorted us out after the disaster of Jos Luhukay and had us playing some very good football.

I was confident going into this season, even under our transfer embargo I thought Bruce had the quality to drag us into the top 6. Don’t think we’ll replace him with better.

Not the best reviews of Rowett. He won’t have much money to spend at Wednesday, so will be working with what we’ve got. Might finally get the best out of Winnall however. 

2 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Once again show me where in my earlier post I have indicated anything that even resembles what you have put there. 

You keep asking me to read your posts again, may I suggest reading my post again

"I have seen these comments made several times now over a period of time"

This is not the first time you have taken swipes at views from fans which you don't think attend games on this forum.  

Like I say play the victim that's fine, you're just simply "profiling" fans whilst others are being personal towards you.

36 minutes ago, David said:

You keep asking me to read your posts again, may I suggest reading my post again

"I have seen these comments made several times now over a period of time"

This is not the first time you have taken swipes at views from fans which you don't think attend games on this forum.  

Like I say play the victim that's fine, you're just simply "profiling" fans whilst others are being personal towards you.

So you keep saying, yet when I ask you to point this out in the post, you come back with nothing, absolutely nothing. I keep asking because I fail to see the swipe at anyone in the post, so if there is one point it out to me and I’ll admit I’m on the wrong.

31 minutes ago, SWFC_FAN said:

Absolutely gutted he’s gone. Sorted us out after the disaster of Jos Luhukay and had us playing some very good football.

I was confident going into this season, even under our transfer embargo I thought Bruce had the quality to drag us into the top 6. Don’t think we’ll replace him with better.

From a selfish point of view I was glad Bruce left you because I immediately thought you would join Middlesbrough as a club we didn't have to worry about this season.

Rowett is not particularly likeable, his voice will get more gravelly as the season drags on, his sound bites will be infuriating, and he'll cover the Hillsborough home changing rooms with posters offering inspirational quotes.

But... I wouldn't be even slightly surprised if he gets you right up there. He's definitely capable. Although I also wouldn't be surprised if it goes tits up.

Hope that helps x 

@SWFC_FAN not as bad as many make out on here . He played a certain way that to some wasn't as appealing on the eye but in many ways still effective. Some of his counter attacks were very pleasing in the eye. 

As a rule of thumb he will set up quite defensively and will require a strong , athletic team who can break quickly on a counter . Also can see Bannan being key as he can pick the long pass out and dictate the game . Favoured formation is a 4-2-3-1 

Depends what you're after really.

His football isnt half as bad as some make out.

A lot of our fans that claim he was a hoofball merchant will be the same ones moaning when it takes us 10 passes to make 5 yards ground.

He took us to the play offs scoring more goals and conceding less than Lampards team did. 

Dont think he will be much different to Bruce for you although I'd probably fancy a Bruce team more to get over the line come the end of the season.

Stoke didn't seem to play the negative boring football we had to watch, but the stokies still hated it.

Our fanbase was split 50/50. He had some success but I think he got a bit above himself. 

Wasted a huge transfer kitty at stoke and invested in over 30s with little or no re-sale value here.

i was delighted when he left. I think we have moved in a much more positive direction ever since.

but......it wouldn't surprise me if he did a decent job. 

rather you and than us though. 

He won’t spend much, he will sign older players, he will hit on the counter, he always tries to stop the opponent rather than invent a positive- he will get results but it is not good to watch ultimately if you want entertainment 

does that cover it ? 

He will probably be successful at SWFC 

9 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Stoke didn't seem to play the negative boring football we had to watch, but the stokies still hated it.

Thats why they hated it. Stokies are just waiting for their next Pulis and wont be happy until they get him.

33 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

So you keep saying, yet when I ask you to point this out in the post, you come back with nothing, absolutely nothing. I keep asking because I fail to see the swipe at anyone in the post, so if there is one point it out to me and I’ll admit I’m on the wrong.

And I stand by it, I don't need you to admit you are wrong, I've seen the posts, some of which that were aimed at myself. I saw them, just didn't acknowledge them, saw no reason to justify myself to you nor should others. 

Despite your public denials, I'm sure you are well aware of what I'm talking about. 

3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

He won’t spend much, he will sign older players, he will hit on the counter, he always tries to stop the opponent rather than invent a positive- he will get results but it is not good to watch ultimately if you want entertainment 

does that cover it ? 

He will probably be successful at SWFC 

Dont concede goals and you dont lose games that's just a matter of fact.

Never really understood why people aren't entertained by us scoring goals...isn't that the whole point of the game?

4 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Football was better than people make out, but lost it post heavy home defeat to Sunderland.

Poor tactics in play offs.

Will probably do well then clear off to a better opportunity, that said if he gets you up and clears off then win win.

Was with you all the way until the last line.

Sheff Wed have limited money, Stoke had almost unlimited for last season compared to most in the championship, he has charisma and sets up not to lose, so to coin a phrase the reality is, he tends to edge a few wins in doing so; aside from that I don’t see much going for Wednesday.

Mediocrity and mid table at best, though as someone else said, may get the best out of Winnall for some time for Wednesday.

My tuppeneth worth... He's a very pragmatic manager with a very clear vision as to how he wants his sides to play. His style is pretty direct and he has quite a defensive mindset. That said, when we were good we could ve very good and quite eady on the eye too, the problem being that for some fans, those days did not come often enough. Personally, without being wild about some of the football, I was one of the fans who felt that the ends justufued the means, to a point at least.

Overall I think he did ok. He took us to the playoffs and was only 40 mins from a Wembley appearance and while it may have been a triumph of substance over style, that achievement ought not be knocked IMO. Much can be made of team selections and like a good few on here, I wasn't overly enamoured with the haste with which he departed but as time goes on it bothers me less than it fif at the time. It's fair to say he fot quite a lot of flak and I now accept that this may have played into his wanting to remove himself and his family from an increasingly toxic atmosphere.

There are probably better managers our there but there are certainly many worse ones too and it wouldn't surprise me to see Wednesday challenging for the top 6 this season. Personally, I'd rather you didn't, but that's just me!

Archived