Gary Rowett - opinions

SWFC_FAN

Hoof ball & counterattack football is his style of play. It is very boring.

The matches you win will probably be by a good margin but you will wonder how you got the result (Hull 5-0 springs to mind). You will be dominated in possession. 

His whole philosophy is based on not conceding. If you concede first don’t expect to get anything out of the game. I can’t recall us winning a match in which we conceded first under him.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He mentioned that he likes high press, counter attacking football, Dortmund style he said, not quite what I saw at PP.

Went to Stoke away when he was in charge and when Derby were singing "You are just a poo Tony Pullis" some Stoke supporters were laughing and clapping. 

and he shot Bambi!  He could not see a good footballer in Will Hughes, at least one that he could play, that says it all really.

I think the issue for me was that he was saying things like he wanted the high press up the field and modelled his style on Klopp however, as many alluded to, his style was completely opposite.

I didn’t moan about him, as I thought we were going through a transitional phase, however he got rid of Hughes and Bryson for ageing tanks in midfield, meaning our old flowing passing football was replaced with a dull monotonous grind, where the process seemed to be not to lose.

The style was to invite teams to have a go and then counter.  If we managed to get the first goal, it was then always likely we’d get more.  If it was a case that we conceded you might as well go home, as the game was gone and the entertainment value was dire.

If it’s any help, I spoke to a guy who is a Birmingham fan when we signed and he said similar and was glad to see the back of him too.

He also got quite lucky in the fact we had a transfer deadline day disaster with letting Bryson go to Cardiff and then getting Kieftenbeld to sign the wrong part of the registration which meant we wasn’t signed, so we signed Joe Ledley who had a storming 3 months, followed by nothing once he signed an extension.

Who know where he might have taken us, but we had to have a fairly sizeable change last season to undo all of what he did to bring back the passing football.

I always clung to the hope that truly was a season of transition with players shoehorned into a system that didn't really suit them, and that he did it with a fair amount of success. Yes there were some terribly boring performances, but many times the end justified the means. He did have some disasters, most notably the second leg of the playoffs. I thought that in the next season he would have brought in players more suited to a quick, counter attacking style but at the same time capable of controlling the game. I commented when he left that I fully expected Stoke to be serious title contenders due to the players already there plus what he could buy with their millions of parachute payments and the odd player sale. He actually turned them into an absolute car crash. Maybe there were things there that couldn't be seen from the outside, but from here it looks bad on Rowett. His replacement didn't fare any better, but again is that due to background issues or the disaster left by Rowett? If he does take over at Wednesday I again fully expect them to be there or there abouts, the style will be very similar to here, the locals will mostly hate it, but they will suffer it due to the results. Or, maybe he's as good as he thinks he is, he's learned from his last two jobs, and he'll try to build a team suited to playing an attractive counter attacking style (I personally love a good counter attack, it doesn't mean you have to give the ball to the opposition when a counter isn't on, eh Gary ?) over a bit of time, without looking for bigger and better job opportunities.

5 hours ago, maydrakin said:

I think the issue for me was that he was saying things like he wanted the high press up the field and modelled his style on Klopp however, as many alluded to, his style was completely opposite.

I didn’t moan about him, as I thought we were going through a transitional phase, however he got rid of Hughes and Bryson for ageing tanks in midfield, meaning our old flowing passing football was replaced with a dull monotonous grind, where the process seemed to be not to lose.

The style was to invite teams to have a go and then counter.  If we managed to get the first goal, it was then always likely we’d get more.  If it was a case that we conceded you might as well go home, as the game was gone and the entertainment value was dire.

If it’s any help, I spoke to a guy who is a Birmingham fan when we signed and he said similar and was glad to see the back of him too.

He also got quite lucky in the fact we had a transfer deadline day disaster with letting Bryson go to Cardiff and then getting Kieftenbeld to sign the wrong part of the registration which meant we wasn’t signed, so we signed Joe Ledley who had a storming 3 months, followed by nothing once he signed an extension.

Who know where he might have taken us, but we had to have a fairly sizeable change last season to undo all of what he did to bring back the passing football.

you are possibly correct but do you remember us getting battered at Sheff U and bristol I think?  Trying to play that way and they attacked at will.  Relegation form is what it looked like and he stumbled on anti football to stem the damage.  Vydra started to hit the net and we went on a brilliant run.  Then the magic wore off and it was clear that he couldn't adapt.  I think he gets a bad rep unfairly.  Tried his best, got lucky then was found out.  Thank God he resigned and presented us with a £2m gift

On 23/07/2019 at 15:49, SWFC_FAN said:

Hello Rams fans, hope all is good. Just came to get your opinions on Gary a Rowett? Like yourselves, Wednesday  have had pre season scuppered by our manager jumping ship to the Premier League. It is becoming increasingly clear that Rowett is going to become our next manager. I’m deflated to say the least, really don’t rate him.

He'll get you results with an 'effective' style of football - If you've ever enjoyed a Tony Pulis team you'll enjoy Rowett

On 23/07/2019 at 15:49, SWFC_FAN said:

Hello Rams fans, hope all is good. Just came to get your opinions on Gary a Rowett? Like yourselves, Wednesday  have had pre season scuppered by our manager jumping ship to the Premier League. It is becoming increasingly clear that Rowett is going to become our next manager. I’m deflated to say the least, really don’t rate him.

But just wanted some honest views on what we can expect. I know a lot of Derby fans dislike him, I’ve asked my Derby mates and the only responses I got was ‘snake’. Hoping to get more of an idea than that!

Good luck for the season by the way, it seems both clubs are restricted with what they can do due to the stupid FFP rules. Happy with the business you’ve done so far? 

Lived in Sheffield nearly 35 years and have major banter with all the Wendies I know,having said that I want you to go up with us.

Having said that I will wee myself if you get Growett for the banter alone.

Having followed Wednesday for years(I do go to Hillsborough every now and again) I just think you need someone to galvanise you like Lampard did with us.

6th under Lampard was more enjoyable than 6 th under Rowett,

I don’t know who’s realistic,an Arteta/Lampard type would be the way for me.

Rowett/Pullis  is not what you need.

Hope you go up as long as you below us?.

John Sheridan would never get a game under Rowett. He would benched and sold off at the first opportunity.  He'd then buy a second aging Carlton Palmer type to play alongside Carlton Palmer, preferably behind a third Carlton Palmer in midfield. 

Do Sheffield Wednesday fans need to know any more ? 

10 minutes ago, Highgate said:

John Sheridan would never get a game under Rowett. He would benched and sold off at the first opportunity.  He'd then buy a second aging Carlton Palmer type to play alongside Carlton Palmer, preferably behind a third Carlton Palmer in midfield. 

Do Sheffield Wednesday fans need to know any more ? 

To be fair he never got a game under Brian Clough

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

To be fair he never got a game under Brian Clough

It's true Clough never rated him, called him a 'bag of sand' apparently on account of his lightning pace ? around the pitch. 

He seemed to find his place at Wednesday though, where Palmer was more than happy and able to do all the running about.

Archived