2nd chance for thorn and chris martin

B4ev6is

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Who mentioned Waghorn? Was still more than martins managed for years anyway. And it’s not all about goals, his all round play was excellent. Marriott as well let’s not forget, his goals per minute ratio is pretty damn good.

You mentioned getting more goals - who is gonna score them all then, Jack?! Martin's 'all round play' is better than Waghorn.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You mentioned getting more goals - who is gonna score them all then, Jack?! Martin's 'all round play' is better than Waghorn.

Jack and Waghorn did a good enough job of it last year between them, much better than Martin would have done instead of one of them. We probably need another young striker as a replacement for nuge, but that man ain’t Martin. 

And no, martins all round play isn’t better than Waghorn. In 2014 it was, now its nowhere near.

14 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Jack and Waghorn did a good enough job of it last year between them, much better than Martin would have done instead of one of them. We probably need another young striker as a replacement for nuge, but that man ain’t Martin. 

And no, martins all round play isn’t better than Waghorn. In 2014 it was, now its nowhere near.

How would we know?

He hasn't played in a Derby shirt since rowetts time and the ducktart didn't have a tactical clue in his brainless brummie head!

He scored 11 for Fulham in the previous seasons Christmas before we derailed his season don't forget.

Fully fit I've no doubt he's a better all round player than waghorn who won't ever score 22 for Derby in this or next lifetime (I do like waggers by the way but he's a poor man's martin and has little of Martin's footballing intelligence)

Let's just see how training goes and who the new man thinks fits best into his squad....if it's waggers,so be it but few fans wouldn't like to try the pairing of Martin and Marriott..well,those who don't wear blinkers or carry irrational hatreds of decent players.

3 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

I really want chris martin and geouge thorn given a 2nd chance in our exciting young team with our talented making step from under 23s to under 18s to first team. I think chris martin will fluish in this side and hopeful geouge thorn can get some fitness and prove to the new manager that he has something to offer.

If a new manager comes in then everyone, not just Martin and Thorne, needs to start with a clean slate. That includes the likes of Anya, Butterfield and Blackman. All Derby players and we need to support whoever the boss thinks can make the most telling contribution.

And for everyone on this thread speculating about Martin's health when, as far as I know, nothing has ever been said/confirmed, stop it.

28 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

How would we know?

He hasn't played in a Derby shirt since rowetts time and the ducktart didn't have a tactical clue in his brainless brummie head!

He scored 11 for Fulham in the previous seasons Christmas before we derailed his season don't forget.

Fully fit I've no doubt he's a better all round player than waghorn who won't ever score 22 for Derby in this or next lifetime (I do like daggers by the way but he's a poor man's martin)

Let's just see how training goes and who the new man thinks fits best into his squad....if it's waggers,so be it but few fans wouldn't like to try the pairing of Martin and Marriott..well,those who don't wear blinkers or carry irrational hatreds of decent players.

2 goals at hull, 1 at reading tells a pretty decent picture... if we were signing that level of player having never played for Derby everyone in here would be up in arms. Past is the past, he may have scored a lot of goals years ago but so did many other players that aren’t any good anymore.

Fully fit Martin isn’t as good as waghorn anymore I don’t have any doubts about that, I’ve seen enough. He may not be as good as he was in his prime, but he ain’t in his prime anymore. And Waghorns more than a poor mans Martin anyway, He’s a top quality championship striker all round in his own right.

Well see how training goes but I’d be astonished if the new man thought Martin has a role here. Waghorn and Marriott as a pairing would work and be one I’d try. I don’t have an irrational hatred of Martin, I just don’t have an irrational love for him. I actually think if he wasn’t so expensive he’d be decent cover for Waghorn, but we can do better for cheaper, simple as based on what I’ve seen.

3 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

And rolling out the old pies baalocks is just sad....he clearly isnt carrying any excess baggage at the minute,let's hope you can say the same for yourself fella!!

Me? This topic, for me, is an ex-topic. It has expired and gone to meet it's maker. It's kicked the bucket, It's shuffled off its mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-TOPIC OF INTEREST!!

8 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Me? This topic, for me, is an ex-topic. It has expired and gone to meet it's maker. It's kicked the bucket, It's shuffled off its mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-TOPIC OF INTEREST!!

That wasn't me including you mate,it was dcfc,s autocorrect of a swear word,lol??

14 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

2 goals at hull, 1 at reading tells a pretty decent picture... if we were signing that level of player having never played for Derby everyone in here would be up in arms. Past is the past, he may have scored a lot of goals years ago but so did many other players that aren’t any good anymore.

Fully fit Martin isn’t as good as waghorn anymore I don’t have any doubts about that, I’ve seen enough. He may not be as good as he was in his prime, but he ain’t in his prime anymore. And Waghorns more than a poor mans Martin anyway, He’s a top quality championship striker all round in his own right.

Well see how training goes but I’d be astonished if the new man thought Martin has a role here. Waghorn and Marriott as a pairing would work and be one I’d try. I don’t have an irrational hatred of Martin, I just don’t have an irrational love for him. I actually think if he wasn’t so expensive he’d be decent cover for Waghorn, but we can do better for cheaper, simple as based on what I’ve seen.

I'd imagine you spent long hours studying Martin's form at the loan clubs and I equally watched waghorns last year which was patchy at best although he improved with game time but I'd argue that Martin would do the same in a settled attacking side but to a far higher standard..

None of this talk matters though....I'll repeat that it will be down to the incoming manager to review training and decide who fits his system.

I'd be astonished if Martin wasn't given a fair hearing and consideration and either stays or goes on that basis.

On the subject of Chris Martin, only one person on this thread is talking any sense, and that’s Kash; rest of you haven’t got any vision, ability to assess a player, or the  common sense to realise that CM is almost certainly the best centre forward we have, and paired with Marriott could drive us on to at least another play off place, and possibly beyond. 

1 minute ago, Archied said:

There’s a new manager comming in and there’s a group of players ,new ,old and in between trying we hope to impress him and earn a place in his team,,

whoever does that will get my support

It's not a bad place to be really. A slimline looking Marrriott, Waggers, Chrissy and Mason all vying for the forward slots. That's some proper competition right there and there may also be another striker to come in with the new coach. I'd  not be writing any of them off just yet but then what do I know?

Said it before that Thorne is done at this level unfortunately in my opinion, he got nowhere near the Luton first team last year. In thorne’s position we have at least 3 players ahead of him- Johnson, Shinnie and Huddlestone, and possibly Evans.   I don’t think Martin has it in him anymore to play as a lone front man. He made Frazier Campbell look like Thierry Henry in comparison by accounts at Hull . He might be able to do a job in a front two alongside Marriott or Waghorn but I don’t think he’s good enough or reliable enough to lead the line on his own.  I would gladly want to be proved wrong on both accounts but I can’t see it sadly, too much has happened.

12 minutes ago, Ram8 said:

On the subject of Chris Martin, only one person on this thread is talking any sense, and that’s Kash; rest of you haven’t got any vision, ability to assess a player, or the  common sense to realise that CM is almost certainly the best centre forward we have, and paired with Marriott could drive us on to at least another play off place, and possibly beyond. 

I don't know how you can accuse me of being solely responsible for talking sense after,what was possibly the post of the century posted right there by your good self....some sort of booker prize is in order surely....Stephen fry will be shaking in his boots.

Or you are a sarcastic t**t,one or the other.

With a new manager coming in, all bets are off.

If Lampard was the boss going into the new campaign, it’d be Waghorn leading the line.

But thinking about Cocu’s profile and suggested preference for 4-3-3 and thinking about how Luuk de Jong scored goals for fun for PSV under him, it blows it wide open.

If Martin is fully fit, fully focused, and ready to fire, Cocu or any other potential manager would be foolish not to consider him.

Martin is a top player at this level. He just needs a manager to put their trust in him and help him to rediscover his old self.

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

How would we know?

Fully fit I've no doubt he's a better all round player than waghorn who won't ever score 22 for Derby in this or next lifetime (I do like waggers by the way but he's a poor man's martin and has little of Martin's footballing intelligence)

A bit like when Bryso left and we found out ValleyRams family connection l am sure we will find out sometime in the next 12 months that you are actually Chris Martin’s Grandmother.

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I'd imagine you spent long hours studying Martin's form at the loan clubs and I equally watched waghorns last year which was patchy at best although he improved with game time but I'd argue that Martin would do the same in a settled attacking side but to a far higher standard..

None of this talk matters though....I'll repeat that it will be down to the incoming manager to review training and decide who fits his system.

I'd be astonished if Martin wasn't given a fair hearing and consideration and either stays or goes on that basis.

Waghorn was forced to play on the wing for most of the season...

Archived