Premier League 19/20

Day

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike Ashley's football decisions baffle my mind. If he's willing to pay £5 million for Steve Bruce, why not use the money to give Rafa a new deal? Just shows his ambitions as an owner. Happy to sit in mid-table year on year, rake in the Premier League money and spend nothing. If the club get relegated, splash the cash in the Championship to make sure they're back in the Premier League, then repeat the cycle.   

The bloke is a brilliant businessman, as a football owner he's an utter clown.

8 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

Mike Ashley's football decisions baffle my mind. If he's willing to pay £5 million for Steve Bruce, why not use the money to give Rafa a new deal? Just shows his ambitions as an owner. Happy to sit in mid-table year on year, rake in the Premier League money and spend nothing. If the club get relegated, splash the cash in the Championship to make sure they're back in the Premier League, then repeat the cycle.   

No idea what Rafa wanted but Chinese gave him 12.5 mill a year. Takeaways in China are cheap so big saving.

16 hours ago, Rampage said:

No idea what Rafa wanted but Chinese gave him 12.5 mill a year. Takeaways in China are cheap so big saving.

He wanted a £2 mill pay increase, but I think he would have left either way. because he actually wanted to control which players were transferrred in/out.

On 12/07/2019 at 11:31, SouthStandDan said:

You said it all with businessman.

there's no ambition beyond staying in the prem, which for Newcastle is a disappointing lack of ambition. He doesn't want to lose any money, in which ase why own a football club.

It's always been true the fastest way to a small fortune is to have a very big fortune and buy a sports team.

you can't have the ego trip of it being your team and also run it as a cash cow, you gotta choose.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

there's no ambition beyond staying in the prem, which for Newcastle is a disappointing lack of ambition. He doesn't want to lose any money, in which ase why own a football club.

It's always been true the fastest way to a small fortune is to have a very big fortune and buy a sports team.

you can't have the ego trip of it being your team and also run it as a cash cow, you gotta choose.

Exactly, if he was a good businessman, he wouldn’t have bought a football club in the first place. 

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

He is a rich southerner and I don't think he realises what Newcastle football club means to some of the locals up there. Most of the north (and midlands) is not wealthy and the North East especially so. For some people up there the football club is all they've got and Mike Ash;ey does absolutely nothing with it.

The weirdest thing about the way he runs it is that he apparently doesn't take any of the profit for himself. Apart from repaying some of the loans he gave them he doesn't take anything else (according to their local paper). If the money stays within the club what is the point of making a profit if they aren't going to spend it on the team. 

2 hours ago, GenBr said:

He is a rich southerner and I don't think he realises what Newcastle football club means to some of the locals up there. Most of the north (and midlands) is not wealthy and the North East especially so. For some people up there the football club is all they've got and Mike Ash;ey does absolutely nothing with it.

The weirdest thing about the way he runs it is that he apparently doesn't take any of the profit for himself. Apart from repaying some of the loans he gave them he doesn't take anything else (according to their local paper). If the money stays within the club what is the point of making a profit if they aren't going to spend it on the team. 

He’s doing them a favour really. If they got to Europe, they wouldn’t be able to afford the tickets. But they’d buy them anyway, and children thought Newcastle would starve. It would be a tragedy. 

So its a fine juggling act, not quite poo enough to be relegated, but not so good that they accidentally qualify for Europe. 

If I were a Wednesday fan I'd be delighted at the prospect of making 5 million off Bruce. I don't even really understand why he has such a good reputation there. His valiant attempts to draw every game 0-0 went reasonably well, but have standards at Hillsborough really fallen so low.

Also, I'd like to point out that it was our idea to have a manager poached by a Premier League club and Wednesday are just copying us.

• 2 weeks later...

At least Shef Utd have brought a few players in and spent more than £20 mill. Norwich must be in real trouble - they still have basically the exact same squad they had in the championship and have only spent £3.75 mill on new players so far - thats a net spend of £2.4 million. They don't necessarily have to do the same as Fulham, but they are kidding themselves if they think they can compete with that squad in the Prem.

ralph wiggum danger GIF

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Not bitter much to regurgitate a tweet that's over 5 and a half years old 

I waiting to do that to my cousin. 20 years ago she told me I’d never amount to anything if I quit my a-levels. I’m just waiting to amount to something, then I’ll rub it right in her face. 

Archived