Women’s World Cup 2019

DarkFruitsRam7

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

I heard on TalkSport yesterday that the rule changes were all introduced from 1st March. 

They haven't practiced enough but there haven't actually been any new rules put into the tournament. 

This was on Friday:

"The IFAB Board of Directors today approved a request from FIFA for a temporary dispensation relating to Kicks from the Penalty Mark (KFPM) in Law 10 – Determining the Outcome of a Match at the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2019"

Before Friday, a goalkeeper got booked for moving off her line at a penalty. (Nigeria and Scotland keepers got a yellow) Now mid tournament they've scrapped it. 

Temporary dispensation = we didnt think it through and made a horlicks of it. Quick, someone change the rules before a big country falls foul of it......

1 minute ago, CWC1983 said:

This was on Friday:

"The IFAB Board of Directors today approved a request from FIFA for a temporary dispensation relating to Kicks from the Penalty Mark (KFPM) in Law 10 – Determining the Outcome of a Match at the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2019"

Before Friday, a goalkeeper got booked for moving off her line at a penalty. (Nigeria and Scotland keepers got a yellow) Now mid tournament they've scrapped it. 

Temporary dispensation = we didnt think it through and made a horlicks of it. Quick, someone change the rules before a big country falls foul of it......

So are you saying that the rule requiring one foot to be on the line has been changed (it was still being referred to in the penalty shoot out last night ). Or are you saying that an infringement of said rule is now not a yellow card offence? 

Or both?

Or something else??

All very confusing. 

Whats the point of VAR if the referee and the five people in the VAR control room, bottle the decision of giving a clear penalty. Was it more a case of not wanting to further upset the Cameroon players than to uphold the rules of the game.

12 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

So are you saying that the rule requiring one foot to be on the line has been changed (it was still being referred to in the penalty shoot out last night ). Or are you saying that an infringement of said rule is now not a yellow card offence? 

Or both?

Or something else??

All very confusing. 

Its the yellow card thats been changed mid tournament. 

Theres another inconsistency by the officials. Offside / Handball / Keepers on the line, are being officiated by VAR black and white decisions. That tackle at the end was a clear red card and the ref used her judgement instead and gave a yellow. Total joke. 

Don't get me started on the nationality of the VAR team at the Scotland game. A winner in that game would play Germany in the last 16. Guess the nationality of VAR team.......

And breathe.......?

54 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

IT was the back of her heel, she was moving towards the play - how much time would need to elapse between her being on or offside? When was the ball played - how could they see EXACTLY when it left the players boot?

Red and blue lines on the var replay indicate there are approximately 11 to 12  times such similar distances from the edge of the D to the 18 yard box.The Dis 4 yards from the 18 yard box, 4 yards equates to 12 feet in distance, so my original statement of a foot offside is correct. More importantly, she was offside and the correct decision was made. 

Just as a point of order, allowing a goalkeeper to move one foot off the line is actually an increase in their allowed movements. The IFAB laws of the game previously had no provision for them to move forward from their line before the ball was played.

It's always been against the rules, it just hasn't been been properly enforced (infact it's barely been enforced at all) for about 15 years! The fact that it was against the rules when VAR was first introduced, but hasn't actually been enforced by VAR until now is another reason the whole system is a joke.

I've seen plenty of penalties scored in matches with VAR where the keeper has clearly come off his line too early, yet it's been completely ignored, now suddenly even though they've technically given keepers more freedom they've cracked down on actually implementing the rule. It's complete idocy, they're making it up as they go along.

I'm fuming after watching that. More angry than I've been watching Derby County.

I'm all for promoting women's football. There's so much passion and pride in these women representing their countries. Refreshingly honest and feels like a time where footballers got on with the game, no cheating, no whinging. But watching that was embarrassing. This is a massive opportunity to promote women's football to a worldwide audience, where many people still treat the women's game as a joke. And with that standard of refereeing and the conduct of the Cameroon players, it felt like a big joke. Yes, the VAR is a problem child, Cameroon not knowing the rules of football is even worse. Not one of the decisions they could contest. Should have been at least 3 red cards, if this was the men's game, the refs wouldn't have hesitated to lay down the rules of the game. 

Cameroon's women protesting and crying was baffling. What was that about? And the referee was smiling about it? Lost complete control. The one thing they should change at women's tournaments going forward is using professional men's referee's. Until the standard of refereeing improves across the women's game, I see no other choice. Most of the female officials aren't competent at this level. It's not sexism, it's the need for more training and education. They shouldn't feel ashamed to use male officials in the women's game, use them. This crap can't go on.

50 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

I'm fuming after watching that. More angry than I've been watching Derby County.

I'm all for promoting women's football. There's so much passion and pride in these women representing their countries. Refreshingly honest and feels like a time where footballers got on with the game, no cheating, no whinging. But watching that was embarrassing. This is a massive opportunity to promote women's football to a worldwide audience, where many people still treat the women's game as a joke. And with that standard of refereeing and the conduct of the Cameroon players, it felt like a big joke. Yes, the VAR is a problem child, Cameroon not knowing the rules of football is even worse. Not one of the decisions they could contest. Should have been at least 3 red cards, if this was the men's game, the refs wouldn't have hesitated to lay down the rules of the game. 

Cameroon's women protesting and crying was baffling. What was that about? And the referee was smiling about it? Lost complete control. The one thing they should change at women's tournaments going forward is using professional men's referee's. Until the standard of refereeing improves across the women's game, I see no other choice. Most of the female officials aren't competent at this level. It's not sexism, it's the need for more training and education. They shouldn't feel ashamed to use male officials in the women's game, use them. This crap can't go on.

Sorry but I disagree. I’ve seen some very good female refs and some very bad male refs. Don’t make it a sex thing, it’s an individual thing and this individual ref was piss poor and totally lost it

1 hour ago, SouthStandDan said:

Until the last two VAR decision I don't think she did much wrong. The elbow incident early in the game should have been a red card but that was more a failing of VAR and the assistant referee. Don't think she could have done any more than what she did in dealing with a team upset by the VAR. We'll have to wait and see how our male referees deal with all the prima donnas in the Premier league.   

As for claiming a male referee would have done better in dealing with the Cameroonian team. I dont know a man who can cope with one hysterical woman never mind a whole team-full. 

The Lionesses did incredibly well to maintain their dignity and composure, not to mention unbroken bones.

The Cameroon team might use the excuse that they knew not the rules of football but ignorance of the 

law is no defence. To elbow a lady in the face, like jumping on another ankle with the intention of breaking it constitutes not merely a sending off but a charge of GBH. 

The Referee lost control of the ‘game’ when she failed to send off the elbower!

I was impressed with Cameroon’s number six as a positive BTW!

I'm getting in touch with.my feminine side watching this World Cup.

I really like France's polka dot white shirts and can't help but wonder if black could replace navy blue and still look as good.

Also, some Brazil players have shorter shorts than the rest of the team, but I really dont think it's working for the keeper. 

Finally i hope no one makes crude swapping shirts jokes.

Go sisters!

2 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

Sorry but I disagree. I’ve seen some very good female refs and some very bad male refs. Don’t make it a sex thing, it’s an individual thing and this individual ref was piss poor and totally lost it

So have the best men’s and the best women’s refs. Is there a law that says they have to have female refs? We’ve had female officials in the men’s game, so it doesn’t seem like there is. There’s no reason they couldn’t just pick the best people for the job, regardless of gender. 

Impressed by the atmosphere and quality of play in this France/Brazil game. But is it just me or is Faye White an absolutely awful commentator. So monotonous and clearly of the Alan Hansen ‘say what happened and nothing more’ school.

I can watch football all day long but have struggled to get into the women's game. I am pleased to see that professionalism, big clubs, league, sponsors are all pushing in the right direction to develop the game it seems. This is very much needed worldwide when you see that Argentina ladies travel by bus to Chile (big country) for a game and Messi and co travel 1st class...

I have been told one of the great things about it is that they don't foul (much), complain, cheat, surround the refs, a bit like Rugby and I am all for this. I have watched a few games, still struggling a bit i must say, and having watched England Cameroon I hope that they don't show many games like this because that will put quite a few people off. Post match I thought Phil Neville was absolutely spot on iitch his analysis.

Archived